The Self Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Everything Self Defence

2 posters

MMA in 1899 !

SpiritMuayThai
    SpiritMuayThai

MMA in 1899 ! Empty MMA in 1899 !

Post by SpiritMuayThai Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:41 pm

Hi all,
    Just came across a video online of BARTITSU. I thought it was a mock up at first, but now not so sure. This has to be the earliest martial art cross training in the UK.
    Check it out for yourselves:

I look forward to your opinions.

Nak Muay
    Dave Turton

MMA in 1899 ! Empty Re: MMA in 1899 !

Post by Dave Turton Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:57 am

Bartitsu is mentioned in Arthur Conan Doyles Sherlock Holmes novels as the method Holmes used to defeat his arch rival Professor Moriarty

Barton Wright who gave his name to the system trained in Tenshin Ryu Ju-Jutsu and some Yoshin Ryu as well

Dont forget English Ju-Jutsu is nearly FIFTY (50) years OLDER than Japanese Karate

I have many books, mags newspaper clippings from the late 1800's and early 1900's detailed lots of Ju-Jutsu in this country...

Uyenishi came in 1880 and opened the first Ju-Jutsu club (The liverpool Ju-Jutsu Society) that year.
    Ernest John Harrison .. better known as E.J. Harrison was the first englishman to gain a legitimate Ju-Jutsu Black Belt IN Japan in the late 1890's.. he was a reporter for an english newspaper stationed in Japan for many years

there were nearly 100 Ju-Jutsu instructors in the UK by the start of the 20th century (1900's)

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:49 am