The Self Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Everything Self Defence

5 posters

Extra chilli sauce HAve you read it

Peter Skillen
    Peter Skillen

Extra chilli sauce HAve you read it Empty Extra chilli sauce HAve you read it

Post by Peter Skillen Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:26 am

if so post your thoughts on the book here. Your honest opinions are welcomed.
    Peter
    Jamie Clubb
    Jamie Clubb

Extra chilli sauce HAve you read it Empty Re: Extra chilli sauce HAve you read it

Post by Jamie Clubb Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:38 pm

PJ

Extra chilli sauce HAve you read it Empty Re: Extra chilli sauce HAve you read it

Post by PJ Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:51 pm

I've read it, twice actually as there's so much in it it's hard to take it all in in one go.
    I've read a few of these types of books but what I liked about this one is that John doesn't try to sugar coat his past but just tells it as it happened and lets the reader make up his own mind. Some of the authors I've read seem to be pretty nasty types of guys but try to come across as just likeable rogues.

John is a guy who has been involved in a lot of violence but doesn't come across in the book as malicious or as a criminal in the true sense ie robbing banks, breaking into houses etc but just a guy who is a product of his enviroment ( no pun intended) and who got drawn into the violent youth culture of the late 70's and 80's. I got the feeling from the book that although violent in the past he wasn't, even then, the type of guy to take liberties or bully people. That's just the impression I got from the book.

Obviously the war stories are entertaining and also instructional but the thing I mostly got from the book was how John approached things mentally.
    That is when he was about to have a confrontation he used his inner rage to psyche himself up and override the feeling of being scared although he does admit to being scared as well. His mental toughness and attitude impressed me as much as his physical toughness. Where he deliberately gets sent to jail is quite a testament to his mental resolve and determination. He places great importance on fitness and strength too which I also think is important.

I think well worth reading for anyone who is interested in how it really is regarding real world violence and street fighting from someone who has had more real experience than most people will even dream about
    Gav t

Post by Gav t Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:36 am

Cracking read.
    JonyLeaber

Post by JonyLeaber Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:01 pm

Peter Skillen wrote:if so post your thoughts on the book here. Your honest opinions are welcomed.
    Peter

I read it and have read more file.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:13 pm