The Self Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Everything Self Defence

4 posters

US Unarmed Combat

Davey
    Davey

US Unarmed Combat Empty US Unarmed Combat

Post by Davey Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:46 pm

This looks very much like traditional JuJitsu, I do this myself and love it for what it is but there is a hell of alot if it which is unrealistic, how many people throw a punch and leave there arm there:)

I'm amazed this is the type of training the US Armed forces do.
    Michael W Wright
    Michael W Wright

US Unarmed Combat Empty Re: US Unarmed Combat

Post by Michael W Wright Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:31 pm

On the whole, and there are exceptions, the hand to hand combat training taught to the military is outdated and woefully unrealistic. The video you have posted is pretty representative of the material taught to the majority of the US military, and barring a few exceptions the UK military doesn’t fare much better.

I recently taught a team from the military and I asked them to show me their hand to hand combat method. It looked like something from a 70’s ninja movie. Sadly, the current enemy aren’t quite so outdated. Al Qaeda are well funded very well informed, and for many years now their soldiers have been schooled in the knife and empty hand art of Kali. I gave a demonstration of Kali to this team of soldiers and they said “wow, what’s that?!” I replied “that’s what you’re going up against with your spinning leg sweep”.
    mattyb

Post by mattyb Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:10 pm

hmmmm..interesting.

He performed a boston crab at one point...id love to see someone manage pull that off in a violet confrontation.
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

Post by Al Peasland Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:20 am

he's got a great partner - at 4mins, he should win an oscar

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:19 am