The Self Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Everything Self Defence

2 posters

How to Make your Classes Safe

Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

How to Make your Classes Safe Empty How to Make your Classes Safe

Post by Al Peasland Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:58 pm

This is more a question than a suggestion

I have just received a wonderful email from a student in which he said he finds my Martial Arts classes a great balance of Fun, Learning and Safety

For me, keeping your classes "Safe" is part of being a professional and intelligent instructor

So I wondered what you would consider the term "Safe" means in martial arts classes and also, what you guys do in your own classes to help enforce this element of "Safety"

For me, some examples would be....

Safe from injury - not asking students to perform silly jumping spinning stunts over chairs, etc

Safe from injury - ensuring students are challenged physically, but within their own capabilities

Safe from ego - allowing students to ask questions andmake mistakes without getting hurt physically or being ridiculed or punished in any way

Safe from bad attitude - an environment where bad attitude is not accepted or allowed to grow - a compasonate and supportive class with fellow students all willing to help each other

Safe from Bad Technique and Training Methods - no standing on your students legs to "help" them achieve deeper stances

So - what do you think guys and gals?
    Jonny Figgis
    Jonny Figgis

How to Make your Classes Safe Empty Re: How to Make your Classes Safe

Post by Jonny Figgis Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:29 pm

Hi Al

I think you've summed it up pretty well. I was only talking to Aidan about this the other night. We were discussing the Belt system and how when a beginner comes to a class he/she will often see little groups of different ranked people standing with people of their own rank. They gravitate to people of their own level and a lot of the time don’t mix with lower or higher ranks. This can put pressure on beginners and they can get into the wrong mindset from the very beginning. The best places I have trained in just happen to be the ones were no belts or rank is on show. You know who the instructors are but there is no hierarchy as such. There is a very supportive atmosphere and there is no ‘competing’ among the students. They are there to get better than they were last week and to help each other along the way. I feel this is of utmost importance along with the other points that you mentioned.

This is the type of subject that could have people discussing for hours as everyone takes different approaches! So overall, safety in training and an overall supportive atmosphere for new students and old students alike.

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:09 pm