The Self Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Everything Self Defence

+2
Abnett
Steve Tomkins
6 posters

Police attitude to 'martial artists'?

Steve Tomkins
    Steve Tomkins

Police attitude to 'martial artists'? Empty Police attitude to 'martial artists'?

Post by Steve Tomkins Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:30 pm

Has anybody got any experience of the attitude of the police when a trained fighter/martial artist gets involved in an altercation - how do they treat the trained person/s involved?

Police attitude to 'martial artists'? Empty Re: Police attitude to 'martial artists'?

Post by Guest Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:18 am

Hey Steve,

I was just discussing this with a fellow MA the other day who is a good friend of mine.

I have had a number of occasions where the attitude towards me once having dealt with a situation was less than amicable. I was almost treated with a level of distain for what I had done and what I continue to do. train hard, and defend my loved ones.

I was walking home a good few months ago now after seesing a friend to his house as I had to pick something up from there, he only lived 10 minutes walk away. anyway, long story short I got blind sided, first time it has ever happened and hopefully the bloody last, got caught in the cheekbone ( which, may I add, stung like a B*****D..!!!!! ). I turned to see him coming at me again so I launched into him with a cross which luckily done the job and it was over. I had a policeman come running across the road as he was about 50 yards down the road on the other side. He saw what had happened but by the time he got there from the initial blow it had already been ended.

He was very polite to start with and told me he was sorry he didnt get to me sooner to help sort it out. looked at my black eye which was now swelling up nicely. called for someone to take the now sleeping guy away. All was going well until he said " that was some right cross there ". I replied " I just threw it and hoped for the best ". he was fine with this until he started questioning me and then said " have you ever done any martial arts Sir ? ".

at this point once he had found out what I do, and had done, he preceded to tell me I should have pulled my punch, as im not like every joe bloggs walking down the road and can possibly hit harder than someone who is untrained. goes on and on for about 5 minutes, even though he saw the whole thing unfolding. I got cautioned and once the guy had been checked out in hospital found out he was later wanted for a string of offences.

I got a call from the police station saying it will go no further, but what I done could have been deemed as excessive force as the guy had a fractured jaw, and a concussion. not all due to the technique but due to how he fell.

Apparently next time I have to call the police while im being struck so they can rush to my aid and anything else in the area that looks like this they can call me and find out where I was if it looks self defence or martial arts related.

Touch wood, nothing since, and I pray to god I never have to do anything like that again. But from my experiences, it has not all been smelling of roses and a pat on the back.

one or two incidences where I been told Nice job and thanks though. so I suppose its swings and roundabouts.

Craig
    cheers
    Abnett
    Abnett

Police attitude to 'martial artists'? Empty Re: Police attitude to 'martial artists'?

Post by Abnett Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:25 pm

It usually depends on the officers involved really. Some appreciate the assistance others would rather nick you for trying to help. I know in warrington when on the doors if a fight breaks out in the street (even infront of your door) you leave them to it as the police will cart us away first aparently!

The world is a twisted place really eh!?
    Joe Hubbard
    Joe Hubbard

Post by Joe Hubbard Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:11 pm

• Know the Law
    • Be polite to LEOs
    • Stick to the facts only
    • Don’t make it personal
    • Explain why YOU are the victim, not the scumbag who attacked you
    • Don’t get emotional
    • Don’t offer any information that you are a martial artist or know anything about personal protection
    • Explain that you are in a state of shock and need a day or so to give a comprehensive statement
    • Get your story straight and stick to it. I am not suggesting that you try to deceive the police, but if you forget details and start changing your story, this will destroy your credibility

Remember, you have the right to defend yourself!

Out

Joe
    Mick Tully
    Mick Tully

Post by Mick Tully Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:42 pm

Great advice joe
    Mick Tully
    Mick Tully

Post by Mick Tully Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:43 pm

Great advice joe
    Stuart Rider
    Stuart Rider

Post by Stuart Rider Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:34 pm

That's a good list Joe.

Speaking to a few police officers that have attended courses i have taught on. They all advise not to get stroppy with the officers who turn up on the scene. After all they don't yet know the full picture and are only going on what they have seen in the time they turn up.

If you need to give a statement, don't refuse to but offer to give it down at the station this gives you time to calm down, clear your head and get the facts right.

Also, if you are in a position where you need a soliciter, ask for one. Use their knowledge and experience to your advantage, that is after all what they are being paid for. Don't get yourself into deeper trouble by saying the wrong thing. Alot of people are charged on what they say, rather on what they have actually done.

Post by Guest Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:09 pm

Nice one Joe

Thanks for the post mate

Craig
    dennis_thompson
    dennis_thompson

Post by dennis_thompson Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:47 pm

im sure jamie o'keefe's book about doormen gives excellent advice on this, Cant recall proper title been a while sorry. Embarassed

Den

Post by Guest Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:49 pm

Its not Old school new school is it den?
    dennis_thompson
    dennis_thompson

Post by dennis_thompson Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:51 pm

absolutely kind sir, i highly recommend all jamie's books and its nothing to do with the fact he joined my forum Laughing

regards,

Den

Post by Guest Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:53 pm

yea yea

I agree though mate brilliant book
    and stop bragging, he a member here also.

Cheers Den

Craig

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:48 pm