The Self Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Everything Self Defence

4 posters

evolution trough the years

Nick Engelen

evolution trough the years Empty evolution trough the years

Post by Nick Engelen Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:41 pm

Hi Alan,

How are you?

Looking trough the video material you have been a long time training with Geoff.

How did Geoff's system evolve from the day you started training with him till present day?

Looking at aikido for example there is a big difference between the early pre war days and the modern aikido. It's always intresting to see the different students of O-sensei have different styles because of their own body type and personalities but also because they trained with O sensei on different times.

Also looking at the double hip, Steve Powel does it different from Peter Consetrdine as Kimura Sensei's understanding had evolved. It seems at the end it was a fajing (taichi) like shake.

I will send you an email soon to order the book and DVD.

Kind Regards,

Nick Engelen
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

evolution trough the years Empty Re: evolution trough the years

Post by Al Peasland Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:11 pm

Hi Nick

Well, I've not been with Geoff since pre-war days, well, maybe Pre-Gulf war, but I see what you mean.

I started training with Geoff when I was 12, and back then it was a traditional Shotokan Karate class, but even back then there was something all together more tough and brutal about the training than most other classes I came across later on.

So the sparring at the time was quite traditional in it's techniques, lots of kicking, sweeps, heavy straight punching, etc.

Very soon though, as I started to progress up the grades, the class started to change from trad karate to incorporating alot more boxing.
    As a result our sparring and fighting changed, our stances changed to much shorted stances, different guard positions.
    We still dabble with trad karate competitions but quickly left them behind as we usually got disqualified for hook punching or not using enough 'control'.

Fighting was still quite Karate though, we still kicked alot in our fighting, although the hands became much more predominant.

Then, Geoff went off and started wrestling and Judo, which he brought back to the club, along with some of the best instructors in the business.

Our art changed again then, to very much an all-ranges type of art. And as is always the case, when you discover something new, that tends to become the major part of your training whilst the other stuff takes a kind of back seat. So our fighting then became very ground focused, allowing us to use our Judo and other wrestling arts on the ground.

The Animal Day footage from way back then would demonstrate that. Whilst it is true that most fights end up on the ground if they go past the first few seconds, we were all quite keen to hit the floor - just because, at that time, we were all heavily into that and starting to really enjoy it.
    Having said that, we were all still just beginning with the wrestling arts so our skills level, looking back, is very very basic.

Again, as we moved on, we started to focus more on anti-grappling and how not to end up on the floor.

Moving to present day, our training has changed dramatically again because our training now focuses alot more on the metaphysical protection and how we can use our physical training to benefit us metaphysically and spritually.
    I want to be able to defend myself against ALL things that can be negative to me, not only the guy who wants to beat my head in on the train, but also the stresses of work that want to give me ulcers, the train wreck of broken marriage that leaves you in a depressed heap, the cripping fear of failure and/or success that can stop you trying new things and following your dreams.
    Physical training can help all of this, and so our training has moved on considerably to enable that.

Just look back over some of the old videos and see how even our shapes have changed. In the Animal Day videos we were quite heavy, quite thick set, I personally moved up to 15.5 stone when I was wrestling and working the door lots - because that all helped with the heavy, gritty, type of fighting we were doing.
    Now we're leaner (well - a little bit anyway), stripping back the fat just the same as stripping back the metaphysical weight that holds us all down mentally and spiritually.

I may have digressed slightly - apologies for that - but hope some of this makes sense
    Take care mate - I'll let you know when the new book is ready - typesetter still fighting with my pictures at the moment Smile
    Nick Engelen

Post by Nick Engelen Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:32 pm

Hi Alan,

Thank you. Very nice post.

One additional question, how much is a stone in kilos?

Kind Regards,

Nick Engelen
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

Post by Al Peasland Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:43 pm

1 stone = 14 lb (pounds) = 6.35 kilo

15.5 stone = 98 kilo
    Mick Tully
    Mick Tully

Post by Mick Tully Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:12 pm

progressive sparring....i still get the shits!
    mick x
    Tony Terranova
    Tony Terranova

Post by Tony Terranova Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:58 am

Hi Alan,

I really liked your comprehensive reply to Nick.

I think you have a great ability to teach modern day martial arts based on modern day realities whilst still maintaining a subtle lineage to the roots of traditional martial arts. All our students enjoyed the last masterclass you did at our club.

Tim Alan and Nisa also enjoyed your masterclass the other week in Coventry; they liked the mix of training that was presented by you and Mick.

Keep up the work and good luck with everything.

Regards,
    Tony

Last edited by Tony Terranova on Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Mick Tully
    Mick Tully

Post by Mick Tully Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:05 am

Hear hear re;Alan
    i foresee huge things coming his way
    hows the legend that is TonyT ?
    Mick x
    Tony Terranova
    Tony Terranova

Post by Tony Terranova Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:19 pm

Hi Mick,

Thanks for asking after my welfare that is very kind mate and much appreciated.

Life is good at the moment but a little hectic on all fronts. My engineering consulting is very busy on a global basis and that demands I travel to all corners of the world (as you know I just came back form South Africa)

My martial arts career continues to take me through new, interesting and challenging routes. The club is going well and I am enjoying Bob Spour’s monthly masterclasses his influence on me is massive. I will be writing 6 articles for Bob one for each session which I believe Bob is going to get published in FHM. Master Sken has asked me to be his partner in a new self protection venture based on employing the techniques of Muay Boran, this venture is taking up some of my time but again I am enjoying being around and training with Master Sken as he is a gentleman and very skilled martial artists.

And like every one of us I have my family to take care of and my home is full of females and that can be quite demanding. In fact a few years ago I complained that there was not enough males in the house – not enough testosterone – so the girls went out and bought me a hamster and called him Harry – now here is the thing that really nailed me – I was actually pleased at the thought of another male in the house – but in 2 days of him being the Terranova female house zone he went totally bold! – So I had a bold hamster great!

Mick don’t forget you and Alan have an open door come and train at my place – we can train – shower – get some grub and pass on some good ideas, stories and vibes to each other along the way – that is what life is all about mate –

Keep up the good work you are Alan are doing just great

Regards,
    Tony. T

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:32 am