The Self Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Everything Self Defence

2 posters

Posturing

Steve Tomkins
    Steve Tomkins

Posturing Empty Posturing

Post by Steve Tomkins Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:44 am

Hi Al

What has been your success/experience with 'posturing'? If so, under what circumstances would you use it, and do you have a preferred 'method'?

Steve
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

Posturing Empty Re: Posturing

Post by Al Peasland Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:40 pm

Hi Steve,

I've had a fair bit of success with posturing, ballooning, etc.

For me, it's something I would rather use than having to use the alternative of playing submissive - which always leads to having to follow up with a pre-emptive strike.

Posturing and ballooning is your best chance of ending a situation without having to hit. Using your aggression, to try to bottle out or intimidate the attacker rather than whacking them.

It's particularly good against numbers, so if I'm out numbered then definitely I will try to use posturing and an Aggressive Fence.

I often use the classic explosive shove/push to gain a bit of space, push them back a bit, give them a bit of physical shock and also a big adrenalin dump.
    That has worked for me quite well in the past.

But sometimes you can be more subtle and play the calm, confident, "do this all the time" type role - which is where you are very stern and aggressive but use very calm and confident language. Talk quietly - basically play the role of a very very powerful gangster. Corney I know but that has worked for me too.
    All of a sudden your attacker is thrown into a world of confusion and doubt now that you haven't given them the desired effect of being scared by their actions. If anything you seem to act as though you love this kind of thing and are far more experienced and "heavy" in this world than they are.

On the door this worked particularly well - not used this technique outside of doorwork though - but aggressive fence and ballooning I definitely have and it has worked very well.

The important thing is to create a gap between you and the attacker. Then keep reinforcing your posturing as though contstantly topping up their adrenalin. Imagine the adrenalin is like a bucket with a tiny hole - you fill it with water and then slowly it drains out, lowering the level - so you quickly dump another cup full of water in the top to fill it again.
    Your aim is to get enough adrenalin dumped into them that it overflows - causing them to want to run and back-down.
    Then provide them the opening to do that -

Simple hey!

Well, in theory it is - the tricky bit is doing that while you're cacking your own pants!

Smile

I hope this helps mate

AL
    Steve Tomkins
    Steve Tomkins

Post by Steve Tomkins Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:03 pm

Hi Al

Thanks for the info

Steve

Sponsored content