The Self Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Everything Self Defence

5 posters

k.o. punching

adamuk
    adamuk

k.o. punching Empty k.o. punching

Post by adamuk Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:25 pm

Hi Al,

As punching is your main pre-emprive strike I am interested if you have investigated the way old timers threw their shots?

Is there different ways to throw a shot in the street than in the ring so one doesn't damage their hands/ or break a knuckle?

Have a lot of people only learnt the sport way of punching and this has given 'closed fist' strikes a bad name for street fighting?

Possibly like muay thai(the ring sport) people now have access to Muay Boran and the older styles of thailand and are adopting these intot heir systems for the street.

ATB,

Adam
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

k.o. punching Empty Re: k.o. punching

Post by Al Peasland Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:55 pm

Hi Adam,

I may be the wrong person to ask, only because I have received several broken hands, knuckles, metacarples, over the years through hitting people - or rather, punching people.
    Smile

For me, I've simply taken my own boxing style and applied it directly, although some of the angles or fist orientations may not be traditional western boxing, either amateur or professional.

In my training I often work with an open or loose hand/fist, rather than clenching it tightly. It actually doesn't seem to make much difference as the clenched fist only seems to help keep your fingers out of the way - so to speak.
    But, as the majority of the years I've trained have been with a clenched fist, when it comes to hitting outside, I will tend to revert back to what is most ingrained and clench my fist.

I also always train to hit with the first 2 knuckle, but with some of my hook punches I will let the 3 knuckles starting from my little finger, do the contacting.
    Outside, this has lead me to have 2 metacarple breaks (commonly known as boxers breaks) on both hands on the wedding ring finger knuckle

The problem with boxing is that you are always bandaged up with nice padded gloves so your hand position may not be ideal for the street anyway.
    This is why I always do a few rounds on the bag or pads without gloves. It helps you adapt and find your own way, and also gives you a better idea of your power and punching technique.

As for modelling on specific boxers, I've never really done that, but general styles and attitudes is something I have followed. For me, Marciano is one of my all time favourites. I just love the rugged, keep coming forward regardless, style.
    I know Geoff's favourite is Joe Louis - so much that he named his son after him.

And I've said this alot in the past, but with regards to breaking hands, whilst it's preferable not to, if you do, then so be it.
    If I'm working in a job where I'm going to be fighting every week or every night then I don't want to be breaking my hands, in which case I would be training far more in slaps and palm heels, etc.
    But if I am now only training for the very rare occasion that I may need to hit someone in a self defence situation, then I'm not too worried if I break my hand. The idea will be that I will have knocked out or over or at least shook the attacker. And unless the break is completely debilitating, it won't stop me from finishing the job and even continuing to punch with it.

But, I've hit far more people than I have broken my hands, so I'm not too worried about that.

Finally, and sorry for the rambling, when I punch from a fence position, whether that be with a relaxed - arms down position or a very submissive position with my hands high, the direction of the punch and motion of travel may be completely different to any conventional boxing punch, which is why I train for that specifically and also train alot of restrictive punching to get used to punching from awkward positions and shorter motion.

At the end of the day, you have to find your own way. What feels right to you. So long as it's got impact, power, accuracy and plenty of emotive agreesion behind it - you won't go far wrong

Thank you for the question, I hope that answered it a little bit
    Laughing

Take care

AL
    adamuk
    adamuk

Post by adamuk Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:25 pm

It's great when you go off on a ramble Alan, I get a more complete answer! lol

cheers for that info, you covered all bases for me.
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

Post by Al Peasland Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:39 pm

ha ha

cool - I shall waffle more in future lol!
    Peter Skillen
    Peter Skillen

Post by Peter Skillen Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:43 pm

Fist - Power - Face - Repeat as many times as required cheers

Post by Guest Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:18 am

Best comment I ever heard with reference to striking and where to hit

goes along the lines of " the pressure point I favour most for a K.O is called H1 and is located just above the neck, strike once nice and hard, and repeat as many times as necessary to get the job done "

Sums it all up for me I think Very Happy

Nice post Al.

Pete

Also like yours mate, and bloody effective if I do say so,
    Unless its your bro striking then you end up with finger marks to back it up with a nice bloody hard slap affraid

cheers
    Steve Rowe
    Steve Rowe

Post by Steve Rowe Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:02 am

This might help you Adam - it's me talking about the fist and what happens on impact.

http://woma.tv/woma/channels/159/movies/29.html
    Peter Skillen
    Peter Skillen

Post by Peter Skillen Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:41 pm

great expalination there steve.nice clip. well made too.
    Steve Rowe
    Steve Rowe

Post by Steve Rowe Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:50 pm

Thanks Peter, it was filmed by Will Henshaw, producer of 'Mind Body and Kick Ass Moves'..

Post by Guest Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:56 pm

Just watched it now
    fantastic mate, thanks for that, very informative.
    Stuart Rider
    Stuart Rider

Post by Stuart Rider Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:57 pm

That is good stuff Steve. Thanks.
    adamuk
    adamuk

Post by adamuk Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:46 pm

Thanks Steve for the clip.

Does Tai chi use closed fist strike to hard areas/head and face?
    Or does it mainlyuse closed fist to the soft areas of the body?

Cheers

Adam
    Steve Rowe
    Steve Rowe

Post by Steve Rowe Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:15 pm

In Tai Chi we strike to all surfaces of the body with both fist and open hand.
    Peter Skillen
    Peter Skillen

Post by Peter Skillen Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:47 pm

got anymore steve
    Steve Rowe
    Steve Rowe

Post by Steve Rowe Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:19 pm

There's 25 films of my instruction and 'chats' here:

http://woma.tv/woma/my/channel/159.html
    Peter Skillen