The Self Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Everything Self Defence

3 posters

hi Alan

Nick Engelen

hi Alan Empty hi Alan

Post by Nick Engelen Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:34 am

Hi Al,

How are you?

I am just wondering, you just started your complete self defence school. You have studied a lot with Geoff and also under Peter Consterdine and Bob, together with work on the door.

Is the material you teach a lot different from Geoff's? Did you add a lot from your own experience?

I look forwrad to your book and dvd Smile

Kind Regards,

Nick Engelen
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

hi Alan Empty Re: hi Alan

Post by Al Peasland Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:31 am

Hi Nick

I consider myself Geoff's longest serving student, having trained with him for the past 22 years.

He's without doubt been the biggest influence both in my martial arts career and the rest of my life as well, so yes, alot of what I teach, and perhaps the way I teach it, will have a strong resemblance to Geoff.

I'm just younger and better looking thats all Laughing

Geoff was fantastic at making sure we constantly trained with the best, whether that was to encourage us to go elsewhere for tuition or by bringing other top instructors to our club to teach as guest instructors and seminars.

Through Geoff I have had the great pleasure of training with some of the best in the business, even if only for the odd seminar here and there.

My Complete Self Protection system is predominantly the same as Geoff's Real Combat System, I teach all his concepts such as The Fence, 3 second fighting, Pre-emptive striking, etc etc.

But, whilst my training has been very much influenced by Geoff and the like, my experiences from working the door and in other situations are more personal and specific to me.
    So this does come across in what I teach.
    My approach to some things may be different to Geoff, but I'm sure he, and any other good instructor, would encourage their students to be themselves, find what works for them, make their own art unique to them.

And I try to do this in my our teaching, so what I have to offer may differ from what Geoff has to offer, but also, what my students end up with will be different again.

I have quite a long interview that I am going to chop down and post on here should anyone be interested.

Cheers Nick, keep posting mate cheers
    Nick Engelen

Post by Nick Engelen Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:04 pm

Hi Alan,

Thank you for your kind reply.

When doing the doors was the environment changed compared to Geoff's time on the door?

Kind Regards,

Nick Engelen

Post by Guest Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:59 pm

Yo Mr Lover Lover ( soz mate couldnt resist )

Had a flashback to class lol

Anywho.

With your dvd you have coming out and the book to acompany it. Is this going to be the first of many do you think? or have you got more things in the pipeline already.?

Ta muchly
    Craig
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

Post by Al Peasland Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:52 pm

Nick,

Personally I think the violent element had subsided a little when I first started the doors, compared the the times when Geoff was working.

Although there was still a fair share of nutters around, gangs, groups of violent individuals.
    There was certainly alot of territorial battles, certainly one of the pubs I worked in I was definitely not welcome simply because the regulars liked to take care - or rather take over - their own pubs and didn't take kindly to doormen from other parts of the city stepping in.
    That caused much interesting "debate" between me and a few of the friendly regulars!

I think the dynamic was different.
    The first signs of doorman registration was beginning, which changed the way we worked - some things for the better, some for the worse - in my opinion.

Towards the end of my door career - which lasted about 7 years and took me another 2 or so to properly leave them behind, the violence had definitely started to pick up again. Lots more knife crime, lots more binge drinking related events.

So yes, Geoff's years on the door were very different to my own, and I am happy to say, mine were a little less violent than Geoff's, but did have my fair share of trouble, made a tonne of great friends, perhaps one or two enemies too :-)

And as anyone who knows me can stand testament to - At least I got out while I still had my good looks lol!

Hi Craig, yep - I have quite a few more ideas for new products.
    Already planning my next 2 books and accompanying DVD's, but need to get the pipeline sorted for the first Fence Concepts Book and DVD, get the website sorted and everything else that goes with it - then start work on the next stuff.

Don't want to say too much just yet - would rather surprise you all with my mediocrity when the products are launched. Laughing

But, they are all going to be around self protection, one or two on the metaphysical side of things, and a few ideas on training the support system.
    Mick is also working on some stuff at the moment to bring his JKD and other array of skills into the CSP stuff that I am teaching.

So, you've not seen the last of us yet.

cheers

Post by Guest Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:11 pm

Great News Al

All the best with them mate

The fun never ends on this wild and wacky journey

Craig
    Lee Morrison

Post by Lee Morrison Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:59 pm

Hi Alan,
    It's nice to touch base with you, I have seen you at Geoff's seminars but we havent actually met, so it would be nice to hook up at some point. I'm glad to see that you are making your own noise in regards to teaching. It will be nice to see your take on Geoff's teachings from both a physical and philosophical view point if nothing else carry on the torch for the great man. He has also been a great influence on me and I am proud to call him a friend. Speak to you soon bro.
    Lee M
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

Post by Al Peasland Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:16 am

Hi Lee,

Thanks for that mate - really appreciate it.

I'll be in touch and see if we can't arrange something and perhaps meet up at some point.

You're work is very much from my own school of thought so think we have alot in common.

Take care

Cheers mate

AL

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:09 am