The Self Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Everything Self Defence

2 posters

USA training pointers please : )

Tim Coppin
    Tim Coppin

USA training pointers please : ) Empty USA training pointers please : )

Post by Tim Coppin Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:07 pm

I am off to the US of A in a couple of weeks and would like to do a couple of training sessions over there if possible.

Starting off in Vegas on the 10th oct and staying there for 4 nights then travelling up to San Fransisco over the following 10 days at our leisure, speaking to Mr Tully on sunday (Great session, top workout!) he said there was quiet a few places to checkout so any contacts, websites, email add. would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance Very Happy

Tim
    Michael W Wright
    Michael W Wright

USA training pointers please : ) Empty Re: USA training pointers please : )

Post by Michael W Wright Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:28 pm

Hello Tim,

The West Coast of the USA has, in my experience, probably the most concentrated collection of world class martial artists anywhere on the globe. I have been over there 6 times in the last 10 years, I'm going back next year, and its always an awesome experience.

In order to narrow down what is an impossible amount of choice, would you be able to give me a feel as to what you are looking for i.e. JKD, BJJ, MMA, TMA....etc?

Thanks

MW
    Tim Coppin
    Tim Coppin

Post by Tim Coppin Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:26 pm

Hi Michael,

MMA would be my prefered choice as it is what i train over here.

Thanks for your help.

Tim
    Michael W Wright
    Michael W Wright

Post by Michael W Wright Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:35 pm

OK, where to start….

If your starting point is Vegas, then Xtreme Couture would probably be top of your list. Randy Couture trains out of the Vegas gym, so that’s a good start.

Moving up the West Coast, you’ve got Tito Ortiz’s Team Punishment Gym in Huntingdon Beach, California.

Not that far away in Fullerton, you have what would be my (bias) top recommendation - Erik Paulson’s CSW gym. At the risk of a sales pitch, if you only train at one place, make it Erik’s. It would be in the middle of your journey so maybe a nice time to do your training, check out www.erikpaulson.com

In Los Angeles you have The Legends Gym, which has been set up by Bas Rutten and Randy Couture, which is in Hollywood. Not that far away on Wiltshire Boulevard you have Rickson Gracie’s Academy. Of course you could always call into the world famous Inosanto Academy, in Marina Del Rey

I’m not massively clued up on San Francisco for MMA, I trained there in 97 but that was in JKD. I know there is the Fairtex Muay Thai gym up there, and Universal Brazilian Jui Jitsu has a v good reputation.

Depending on how far you are prepared to stray from Frisco, in Reno you have the legendary Lion’s Den, with the Shamrock boys.

That’s just a quick list from the top of my head, like I said - there really is no place like it.
    Tim Coppin
    Tim Coppin

Post by Tim Coppin Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:51 pm

Thats spot on, thank you Michael.

Cant wait Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:45 am