The Self Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Everything Self Defence

5 posters

Career advice

Abnett
    Abnett

Career advice Empty Career advice

Post by Abnett Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:28 pm

Well, as i've said in a previous post i've recently graduated and due to the mrs getting the job she wanted i've relocated. The thing is there's no jobs up here that i feel would suite me, apart from joining the northumbria police force, however i feel this would possilby render my degree pointless as i could have joined up 3 years ago. I'm just wanting to know if anyone on here is in or was in the police force that can give me a better insight to the job. I've read through lots of websites but none really give a true feel to what the daily grind is like. I've worked the doors for 5 years and some of the situations i've dealt with i feel have prepared me to deal with a large variety of situations, however, i'm not 100% certain whether to sign up. Can anyone advise me please? Embarassed
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

Career advice Empty Re: Career advice

Post by Al Peasland Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:52 pm

Hi Mate

Not been in the Police force myself, so not really qualified to answer your post.
    But a friend of mine who I train with regularly has written this book about his time in the West Midlands Police force in Coventry.

Good Guys Wear Blue

For me, it was a bit of an eye opener on the harsh realities of life on the beat!

A good read if nothing else mate

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Good-Guys-Wear-Blue-Struggle/dp/0955781507/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1223466682&sr=1-1 Wink
    Abnett
    Abnett

Post by Abnett Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:57 pm

Thanks Al, I'll check it out. I've got a cousin who's a sargeant down in kent, she's only been in a year or so but she seems to enjoy it. I'm waiting for her to get in touch but it's been over two weeks and i'm really sick and tired of being stuck at home with no money, relentlessly applying for jobs and hearing nothing and i don't know anyone but the mrs up here.
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

Post by Al Peasland Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:32 pm

What subject was your degree in mate?

What kind of jobs are you applying for?
    Abnett
    Abnett

Post by Abnett Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:54 pm

It was computing and IT BSc (Hons). I got a third though due to various personal circumstances and lack of feed back or support. Not excuses but i could write a novel on what i've had to go through to get the degree and i've had to finance it all myself - which is one hell of a pressure.
    I've been applying for IT related jobs mostly in systems and software analysis and consultancy but they all want 2:1's or relocating. I've applied to the company my mrs is working at and because i'm not willing to relocate (as we've just done that) i don't even get to the application form. It's starting to get me down as i am hard working and dedicated to my work and i can do the jobs. The classification I gained does not in any respect reflect what my quality of work is like or what i'm capable of doing or producing. I feel totally let down by the university.
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

Post by Al Peasland Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:03 pm

I can fully relate mate. I worked the doors to fund my Uni degree.

But the tougher it is to get, the better - gives you more to feed from and makes it all the more worth while.

My friend who wrote the book above now runs a very successful Cisco training business http://www.networksinc.co.uk/

Might be worth a look there - not sure if it has any links to potential work though.

The good thing with the degree is that it shows an ability to stick at something and learn. So often, the actual course may not be the relevant factor to getting the job, more the demonstration of your aptitude and work ethic. I say chase whatever it is you enjoy doing. When you're out of work, what have you got to lose.
    If it's the Police force you're interested in then go for it. Why not. You can always change your mind. I don't remember signing anything that means I have to stay in the same career for the rest of my life, and as we pass this way only once - might as well do something we all enjoy doing.

Good luck mate and just see those job application rejections as feedback and interview practice towards getting the job thats out there waiting for you. Wink
    D.Hughes
    D.Hughes
    Admin

Post by D.Hughes Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:07 pm

my advice would be to, where possible, skip the application forms and apply in person. you'll always do better in person than you will on paper.
    you got some blaggin to do!
    also, dont settle. if your gonna settle, you may aswell take some "in between" job that gives you something to do, and still allows you the time to search for your ideal job.

in short, dont "try" to get the job you want, go and take it!
    Abnett
    Abnett

Post by Abnett Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:31 pm

I was supposed to do my cisco CCNA but doing a full time course and holding down 3 part-time jobs aswell as being a student rep and peer supporter i just didnt have the time.
    I've not settled on a job just yet. i want a job i can be challenged in but progress up the ladder quicker than if i hadn't bothered with the degree. Cheers for the help and advice thus far guys.
    Read a sample of that book too Al. Rather graphic but more or less described what you see some of the cops doing when on the doors. haha.
    geordiedave

Post by geordiedave Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:00 pm

I work as a postman ,and we always want postman also royal mail operate a scheme for graduates.
    Abnett
    Abnett

Post by Abnett Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:12 pm

hmmmm didn't think about that. I'll take a gander......cheers Dave.
    John

Post by John Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:32 pm

I am a Police Officer in Cambridgeshire though on a career break at the moment. Regardless of accedemic backgrounds you will still need to do your 2 year probation. Most of this will be front line street Policing which is most certainly an eye opener. After that you can go for the "High Potential Development Scheme" which is open to people with accedemic qualifications. Police work is an excelent career but no hurry. There are more people now joining in there 30s and 40s as a second career. Any questions you have then let me know. I will help in any way I can.
    Abnett
    Abnett

Post by Abnett Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:50 pm

I've not passed the application but will be trying again in april next year. Going to open days for advice on getting through the application in the next 6 months as this is the second time i've not met the criteria. I don't see how though. I'm not bothered by the probation as it's exactly the type of job i'd love to be doing as it combines all my experience and i'm not necessarily chained to a desk. Thanks for the offer of assistance though John. I'll probably be in touch closer to the re-application stage.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:07 am