The Self Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Everything Self Defence

+4
Stuart Rider
D.Hughes
Mick Tully
Eddie Quinn
8 posters

Bob Spour, Eddie Quinn and Tony Terranova in this months Martial arts illustrated.

Eddie Quinn

Bob Spour, Eddie Quinn and Tony Terranova in this months Martial arts illustrated. Empty Bob Spour, Eddie Quinn and Tony Terranova in this months Martial arts illustrated.

Post by Eddie Quinn Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:28 am

Hey everybody,
    Make sure you check out this months edition of MAI.
    There is a interview with Bob Spour and Myself about Bobs USP courses, Bob has asked me to be his co trainer, There are 6 dates booked for the New Year in Solihull, West Midlands.
    I am interviewing my Silat teacher Chris Parker, he has been teaching me since 1993 a very interesting interview.
    There is a also a article that i have written about The Approach. Look out for the advert for the dvds and seminar.
    Tony Terranova is also in the mag with Master Sken and Tonys backside is also on show on the front cover as he kindly let me do a takedown on him!!!
    Best regards to all,
    Eddie
    Mick Tully
    Mick Tully

Bob Spour, Eddie Quinn and Tony Terranova in this months Martial arts illustrated. Empty Re: Bob Spour, Eddie Quinn and Tony Terranova in this months Martial arts illustrated.

Post by Mick Tully Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:31 am

Just read the mag Eddie
    Great stuff this issue!
    Def gonna get your dvd set mate and try and get some of the lads over to your seminar
    Always good to see Bobbyboy where he belongs and saying stuff most of us are not brave enough to say about the state of MA in general!
    funny how whatever Bob says is the same whether in print,on the net or to your face!
    Good to finally see TonyT getting some mainstream coverage too,time the rest of country got to find out what we have known for years about this amazing individual
    Great interview with Guru Tua Parker,
    i remember reading the Parker Principle column in fighters mag in the late '80s
    its time to see a more balanced view to silat in the press and who better to start the ball rolling!
    As for silat being too "flowery"
    personally i'd say go and train with Marc McFann and smell his roses!
    Overall a great issue thanks in no small part to you sir
    onwards and upwards
    mick x
    loved the comedy article about Frank Dux as well.......that was just for jolly surely......oh it's serious? Sorry couldn't resist ;-)
    D.Hughes
    D.Hughes
    Admin

Bob Spour, Eddie Quinn and Tony Terranova in this months Martial arts illustrated. Empty Re: Bob Spour, Eddie Quinn and Tony Terranova in this months Martial arts illustrated.

Post by D.Hughes Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:26 am

funny that, i was gonna post about that yesterday when i bought it lol.

great articles from yourself and Bob mate.
    also noticed a half page ad for Al's fence dvd. thought f*** me, half the forums membership is in there this issue lol
    just goes to show what a great bunch of guys we have here!

will hopefully be attending a usp course in the future. getting the NLP course done first though, so it'll be a time coming. i've never had chance to do any silat so should be great!

well done guys!
    Stuart Rider
    Stuart Rider

Post by Stuart Rider Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:30 pm

Not had a chance to read my copy yet but looks a good edition for a change.
    Looking forward to reading the Chris Parker interview. Like Mick i remember reading his stuff years ago.

Anybody seen this months Combat? Really poor content, seems to be mostly about film stuff. They really need to get some good quality articles back in there to compete with MAI.

Post by Guest Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:14 pm

Nice articles this month in MAI,

I as Rick done, seemed to turn each page and see someone in there from on here or someone we all know or have trained with. Cannot beat a bit of quality me thinks.

Bobs interview was brilliant and I have to agree with Mick on this one, Bob calls a spade a spade and says it how it is, if it doesnt work you get told, and its nice to see the point being put accross in a way that only Bob seems to be able to do.

Nice article from you also Eddie really enjoyed reading it mate, keep them coming.

As for Combat I have to admit I have not bought a copy in a few years now and each time I pick one up it always seems to be the same old stuff, think ill stick with MAI for now until they pull their finger out and get some top quality articles back in Combat

Craig
    Eddie Quinn

Post by Eddie Quinn Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:02 pm

Thank you all for the feedback lads, getting articles published in the Magazine is hard work, When i first Approached ( pardon the pun LOL) MAI editor Bob Sykes to publish my articles i had to go through a vetting process and go to his Academy in Huddersfield and teach his students, glad to say he liked what he saw, he gets overwhelmed with Walter Mittys every day!
    Thanks again and i look forward to seeing some of you at either Bobs USP courses or The Approach intro seminar.
    Best regards, Eddie
    Michael Turner
    Michael Turner

Post by Michael Turner Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:06 pm

This months issue should have been called 'The Eddie Quinn Issue'!

I've always preferred MAI to Combat. Its a real martial arts magazine run by martial artists. There are a few glossy magazines around at the moment that just full of MMA & Kickboxing results & not much else. MAI always has a variety of articles each month & is great for cross trainers.

I agree with Chris Parker when he says in his interveiw that Bob Sykes has probably done more to promote individuals & styles in the UK scene in the last decade or so than anyone else.

Its was reading Rick Youngs column that first got me interested in JKD, Matt Thorntons articles that made me take my BJJ training more seriously & Andy Normans column that got me into the KFM.

Mike
    Mick Tully
    Mick Tully

Post by Mick Tully Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:26 pm

Got to agree with you on MAI mike
    but i remember when combat was THE mag and had all the top names
    my wife has a theory i am like mel gibson in conspiracy theory and combat is my catcher in the rye
    oh no the wheels have been set in motion! Hahahaha
    seriously though its a real shame how pants combat has become
    mick x
    D.Hughes
    D.Hughes
    Admin

Post by D.Hughes Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:30 pm

tbh Mick, you do look a little bit like mel gibson. i reckon you would have played braveheart better though Very Happy
    Mick Tully
    Mick Tully

Post by Mick Tully Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:45 pm

Yeah "f¤ck you longshanks" would be much better as a deathbed cry than 'freedom' hahaha x
    Michael Turner
    Michael Turner

Post by Michael Turner Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:08 am

Mick The Brave, I'll have to take your word on Combat being THE mag!
    I'm only 26 so I can only remember it ever being pants Laughing

Mike
    Mick Tully
    Mick Tully

Post by Mick Tully Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:35 am

I could read from a very early age you scamp! X
    Eddie Quinn

Post by Eddie Quinn Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:24 am

Sorry Michael for it being the Eddie Quinn edition, its only taken 24 years hard slog to be a overnight success!!!
    Michael Turner
    Michael Turner

Post by Michael Turner Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:46 am

No, No Eddie don't apologise. I can't remember an issue when somebody had so much coverage so its a great achievement. Like you've said Bob Sykes has lots of requests so he must have been impressed.

I don't know about an overnight success either. I trained with some of your students a few years ago & they all spoke highly of your Thai & Silat then.
    Like you mentioned in your article, I've also heard people describe Silat as too flowery, posey & traditional, so its good that your showing different.

Out of interest are you still teaching Thai? Or are you just concentrating on Silat & The Approach?

Mike
    Dave Turton

Post by Dave Turton Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:09 am

well I dont know if this mightbe the kiss of death for MAI, but as some of you know I had my own column for many years in MAI, and now Bob has asked me once again to start a regular contribution column
    I am already working on some articles..

hope it doesnt put you guys off Ha Ha

but yes its always GREAT to see other names in there, and Bob is very good at giving space to people
    Eddie Quinn

Post by Eddie Quinn Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:19 pm

Morning Mike,

I am still very much involved in Muay Thai, i teach Thai 3 times a week in B'ham/Solihull, it is such a fantastic base art to expand on if people wish, or it can stand alone as a superb ring sport.

Be good to see you back in MAI Dave.

Best regards to all,

Eddie
    adamuk
    adamuk

Post by adamuk Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:41 pm

Hey Eddie,

Thought the Chris Parker article was awesome!
    Really enjoyed it and would luv to read even more. Any chance of Chris putting out a book about silat in the not to distant future?

ATB

Adam.
    Mick Tully
    Mick Tully

Post by Mick Tully Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:08 am

Now's that a book i'd buy in a new york minute!
    mick x
    Eddie Quinn

Post by Eddie Quinn Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:19 am

Hey Adam/ Mick,
    Thanks for the feedback regarding the interview with Chris, glad you enjoyed it.
    Chris is a writer and many years ago he wrote a book called Amok, its a fantastic book, not sure if he has any copies left, i will find out and get back to you.
    Regards to all,
    Eddie
    Tony Terranova
    Tony Terranova

Post by Tony Terranova Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:00 am

Eddie / Mick,

Eddie thanks for letting me train with you it has been really enjoyable and as all the lads stated you are awsome mate and humble with it.

Mick as always thank you for your kind words of support

Thought for the day: "every chance taken is another chance to win"

Tony. T
    adamuk
    adamuk

Post by adamuk Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:39 pm

AMOK?
    What was this book about?
    Was it silat or FMA?

Is that what the Amok knife fighting system named themselves after?
    Eddie Quinn

Post by Eddie Quinn Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:11 am

Adam,

Have you not heard of the phrase running Amok?

The book is set in Malaysia, with a young chap called Simon and his adventures.
    I spoke to Chris today for you about the book, he has a few copies available and i will have them on my website for sale.
    Been told that the site will be up and running in a week!
    take care and best regards to all,
    Eddie
    Eddie Quinn

Post by Eddie Quinn Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:15 am

Tony T,
    your the man, thank you for the kind words, it is always a pleasure seeing you my friend.
    Quote from my Bapak IBA in Malaysia, always stay humble in your Approach.

Eddie
    adamuk
    adamuk

Post by adamuk Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:22 am

Hey Eddie,

Sure have mate! lol

Anyway, I'd like a copy so just email me the price and I'll send payment up to you asap.
    adamcooper123@hotmail.co.uk

Cheers,

Adam

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:04 pm