For Everything Self Defence

Best exercise - stomach

Abnett

Best exercise - stomach

Post by Abnett on Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:00 pm

Situps, crunchies, leg lifts etc are all good for firming up the stomach muscles, but aren't that good for stripping/burning fat. Can anyone advise me better on what exercises/routines will help burn away some of the unwanted fat layers please? Preferably methods that can be done at home aswell as down the gym. study
    Peter Skillen

Re: Best exercise - stomach

Post by Peter Skillen on Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:39 pm

Skipping, 5 minute rounds with one minute crunches in between for 1 minute for six rounds.

we do thrity mins skipping as a warm up in my sessions...for me skipping is a great all over body toner/warmer/builder of tenacity.

Dave Turton

Post by Dave Turton on Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:35 pm

if your are fat around you stomach you are fat overall .. so the only way to reduce the covering of fat is to reduce your body's fat content
    most ab exercises are for training the abdominal muscles, including the iliac crest etc... few are any use for fat reduction

you actually 'burn' more fat from 100 free squats than from 200 situps
    Peter Skillen

Post by Peter Skillen on Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:22 pm

He's right you know,he normally is Very Happy our dave. Thats why i suggest skipping and sit ups as a toner so when the fat goes you got something underneath.

marko

Post by marko on Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:43 pm

You can't spot reduce fat from one particular area.

Best way is to combine various methods of high/moderate/low intensity cardio with resistance training
    (in separate training sessions). Be careful not to overtrain any particular energy system by planning your week/months training.

Then get your diet right. Low glyceamic index carbohydrates to stabliise your blood sugar (really important if you want the body to burn fat). The right amounts of essential fats is also vital.

It's best to do it as a longer term lifestyle change as you then maintain as opposed to yoyoing. bounce

Some supplements are reported to really help like green tea extract and l-carnitine.

I find that when weight training if you superset (back to back exercises for muscle pairs) you can maintain lean tissue and burn fat. Very Happy
    Abnett

Post by Abnett on Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:59 am

Thanks for the advice guys. I do skipping but never really for that long, just to warm up. Time to change. I have a balanced diet and green tea is actually my favourite choice of tea! I've just noticed that the definition has started to go from my upper body and my stamina levels have dropped dramatically even though i've been keeping the same routine since moving. I have tried various things for the past few weeks to get back to my previous levels but not having much luck. Advice noted and will apply it. Thanks again guys.

glennfright

Post by glennfright on Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:27 pm

Peter Skillen wrote:He's right you know,he normally is Very Happy our dave. Thats why i suggest skipping and sit ups as a toner so when the fat goes you got something underneath.
    Yeah I've stated skipping again as I found doing weights just bulked me out.
    Although I'm not fat I'm not happy with the shape weights has given me.
    I prefer skipping to jogging too.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:54 pm