The Self Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Everything Self Defence

+3
Eddie Quinn
moldeeside
Peter Skillen
7 posters

Are you doing what you want?

Peter Skillen
    Peter Skillen

Are you doing what you want? Empty Are you doing what you want?

Post by Peter Skillen Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:12 am

Ok who on this forum is doing exactly what they want to be doing with there lives?
    What is your ultimate goal in life and what are you activly doing to achieve that goal.

For me ever since i was a boy i wanted to be a film maker but i, like most people do listened to the doubters and never tried to achieve this goal. until now!

Now i know different, I know in can do whatever i want in this world, i am currently at film college studying media TV and film production with my ultimate goal to write script and direct films. I have also since my own rehabilitaion from alcoholism wanted to help others in way that is positive in their lives. I am now doing this by running courses for underprivilleged people at my new centre.
    Please dont tell me it cant be done as two years ago when i decided to get my centre i had two pounds in my pocket and no job and yet i still did and over xmas i am having a major refit costing thousands.

Anything is possible if you dare to dream and get active.

What do you want?

Ps youll all be invited to the open day for a cuppa and some training.. Very Happy
    moldeeside

Are you doing what you want? Empty Re: Are you doing what you want?

Post by moldeeside Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:55 am

hello peter
    absolute best of luck with everything, I`m in recovery myself and last took a drink 2nd september 2007.
    My life is bloody marvellous compared to a few years ago and I seem to run into an awful lot more nice people than awful ones. Don`t know if this is pot luck or the universe helping me or whatever, but it`s going well.
    that`s it really, I haven`t got any top advice or anything but I`ll have a tenner on you having your centre up and running before too much longer.

take care

Mol
    Peter Skillen
    Peter Skillen

Post by Peter Skillen Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:27 am

Mol i have been sober 8 years now mate and the centre is doing lovely. I am having the re-fit done for the new year. May i recomend a couple of books for you.

The alchemist-paulo cohleo, the cosmic ordering service, (it works) Twelve steps and twelve traditions, The secret, geoff thompsons shapeshifter, and hermann hess' sidartha. I have many more to suggest pm me if you want them..

May you have many great and successfully sober years ahead
    Eddie Quinn

Post by Eddie Quinn Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:48 am

Get your story out there Peter, your like a phoenix rising from the ashes, you are a role model to all of those people you help, keep up the good work mate.
    Eddie
    Peter Skillen
    Peter Skillen

Post by Peter Skillen Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:37 am

many thanks Eddie it people like you that keep me going..ill ring you tomorrow now ive finished college for xmas.
    PS is your dvd out yet?
    Eddie Quinn

Post by Eddie Quinn Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:06 pm

Not a problem mate, keep it up.
    The dvd is out, didnt you read Bobs nice review in the DVD/ book section?
    Best regards,
    Eddie
    D.Hughes
    D.Hughes
    Admin

Post by D.Hughes Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:34 pm

that would make a great logo btw Pete. a phoenix rising from ashes. awesomeness Very Happy
    Jonny Figgis
    Jonny Figgis

Post by Jonny Figgis Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:58 pm

Okay, here's my ten cents!

I have had a mad couple of years of soul searching and trying to keep away from all manner of negativity which as we all know is easier said than done. I went back to counselling this year because of something Geoff Thompson said at the masterclass. He said that you have to be the embodiment of what you are teaching/doing for people to see that you are for real..."Never take advice from a fat life coach!". He said you have to get your palettes right before you can help others and that makes so much sense as how can you help people when you yourself are still battling inner demons. You need to get to some stage of being at peace with yourself and the world around you. I am still in my day job but have stuck at working on producing my first feature film (directed by my brother), we've been working hard on it for four years now but it will be worth it in the end. We have garnered much support and continue to for two other feature films we have in production; this is because we didn't sit around waiting for it to come to us. We got up and did it for ourselves. And we had the nay-sayers but never listened to them, our gut feeling for the work was/is too strong.

Over the past couple of years, we have won awards for documentaries, generated sales to many territories and have some bold ambitions for the next couple of years. Currently I'm filming a masterclass for Tony Somers and Aidan Carroll of Hard Target Self Defence Systems in Dublin and I'll be doing more martial arts DVDs in the new year.

Just remember the only limits we have are those we put on ourselves. No one will tell me that I can or can't do something! We all have to have this mindset to succeed. And as we hear all the time, the best saying (ever maybe) THERE'S NO GROWTH IN COMFORT!
    Abnett
    Abnett

Post by Abnett Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:08 pm

As a kid i always wanted to join the police. I've not got past the application twice now, but will be going for third time lucky in april unless and job comes up before then. I also always wanted a degree, which i gained this year. I had to fight hard for it and in my final year was up for 3 or 4 days straight each week from thurs morning till tuesday morning due to work commitments and coursework. Unfortunately due to many factors i didn't get the grade i wanted so am now about to go one better and become a microsoft certified systems engineer and network analyst whilst hopefully gaining experience in the field too. I'm only 25 but still am not sure where exactly i want to go in life or what i want to do. I have a vague idea though and am putting now the foundations for a solid future of some sort.
    Jonny Figgis
    Jonny Figgis

Post by Jonny Figgis Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:22 pm

Hey Abnett, it seems like you have solid ideas and are chasing your goals which is great. Remember an unshakable tenacity (easier said than done I know only too well) is required to reach your goals but if you keep your eye on the ball and keep chasing it, you will get there. Keep exposing yourself to new ideas, people, skills etc. and you will find what your calling is. And follow your gut feeling!

Hope that didn't sound too preachy! :-)
    Peter Skillen
    Peter Skillen

Post by Peter Skillen Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:59 pm

dont have a second option! just concentrate on what you really wat and you will get it.
    Abnett
    Abnett

Post by Abnett Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:05 pm

I've been accepted onto the Microsoft MCSE with Cisco CCNA course. But i'll get the best of everything, work, and study that go hand in hand. Just need to raise £5500 within 9months or that'll go up to something ridiculous. Good thing though the qualification is synonymous with bluechip companies nowadays so the future should start looking better soon.
    kaarl
    kaarl

Post by kaarl Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:24 pm

Peter Skillen wrote:dont have a second option! just concentrate on what you really what and you will get it.

All through life I struggled to find that one thing that I want to do, when I was asked at school what I wanted to do, I never had a clue, I actually put down pro wrestler or zoo worker? I was told there’s no chance and ended up in the family building firm, and moved on to various jobs, up till around five years ago.

With an avid interest in MMA I ask a friend to show me some submissions, well that was it I was hooked. I started training in JKD and my interest just snowballed from there and I realised my passion in life. Over the years I’ve had many negative comments and meet some very negative people, even within my family I’ve been banned from classes and forums, for having a different opinion or just being honest, or a little too eager to learn, sometimes just asking the wrong questions can put you out the door, if I had listened to them I wouldn’t have got anywhere.

The truth is I didn’t have a choice the urge to follow what I loved, my passion and belief in my ability to help others is the reason I’m here, I’ve now been officially teaching combatives just over a year, since finding my passion in the last 5 years I been happier than I ever was and I know as long as I stick with what I love, I know I always will be.

Best of luck with the refit Pete, and your story is just more proof that life is what YOU make it
    Peter Skillen
    Peter Skillen

Post by Peter Skillen Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:35 pm

cheers Karl.. see you in the new year my friend..

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:35 pm