The Self Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Everything Self Defence

+7
Al Peasland
Jonny Figgis
Les Turpin
Horioni
Peter Skillen
Davey
Lee Griffiths
11 posters

Home protection

Lee Griffiths

Home protection Empty Home protection

Post by Lee Griffiths Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:58 pm

I am reading more and more in the papers of aggrevated burglaries, in the past 6 days 2 homes close to me have been broken into by robbers and the owners attacked.

The first incident, 3 men forced their way into a home, stabbed the owner and then tied up him and his girlfriend before raiding the house.
    The second incident, again 3 men forced their way into a home and attacked the owners with a baseball bat, also pushing a gun into their faces before the owner faked a heart attack and they fled.

How well are you protected in your home and what would you do if you heard a "bump" in the night??

Cheers
    Lee
    Davey
    Davey

Home protection Empty Re: Home protection

Post by Davey Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:15 pm

I dont really have a tool in every room but I do have a live blade katana in my bedroom, probably not the ideal weapon to be waving around, maybe a wakizashi would be better or two.

the couple of times I have had to go downstairs and look around, I have done so without a tool, probably cos I just dont think about it. probably in the mindset of it aint gonna be that bad, when really I should be expecting anything.
    Peter Skillen
    Peter Skillen

Post by Peter Skillen Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:50 pm

This disscussion has been had before. My stance is still the same.
    Get your family into one room. call the police and stay in there untill they arrive. Bar the door with whatever is availible. let them take the tv or whatever they want it can be replaced. If your wife and children are killed you cannot replace them.
    Dont try and be a hero by fighting them be a hero by saving you and your familys lives.
    Altough this is my advice the opinion of others may differ. But this is what i would do.

I will not be forced to live a life where i have to sleep with a tool to feel safe if thats how you live change your life.
    Horioni
    Horioni

Post by Horioni Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:35 pm

Best defence, Put your alarm on,
    lock all doors so if they get into kitchen they have to break the next door down which should wake you up ( im deaf in one ear)

I have toys in all the rooms, 4 in the bed room ha ha, mainly because i just train all the time.Twisted Evil But the main thing with a tool is you need to train with it in the room you have it in and in the dark etc. Its one thing to train in a dojo with a Katatna, you need to train in your house with it and get use to your available space ie going down the stairs in the dark, jumping out of bed and being in the zone.

My house was burgled early this year when i was away.
    So i took a visit to the local Pub and asked who were the local tea leafs and fence and let it be known that i wasnt too pleased!

I didnt get my stuff back but i had piece of mind!

Walk all your days as a Warrior!
    Les Turpin
    Les Turpin

Post by Les Turpin Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:27 pm

i have a few things around the house, but also have dogs, there not vicious dogs but they make a noise at everything at night. i do keep thinking about an alarm but maybe i am being too tight.

my head tells me to go with what Peter says but i know i will want to go down there a kill the fuckers for 'invading my castle' its something i need to sort out in my head.
    Peter Skillen
    Peter Skillen

Post by Peter Skillen Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:14 pm

Make your house as safe as possible an alarm is a good invetment and very reasinable prices are availible. good window and door loc ks are a must.
    create a castle not a prison. be safe
    Jonny Figgis
    Jonny Figgis

Post by Jonny Figgis Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:01 pm

I have to agree with what Peter says but I can also see where Les is coming from. The anger that you can feel towards someone intruding, them touching your things, stealing your hard earned stuff...you can get angry just thinking about it. But that moment of anger could cost you or a family member their lives. Peter said it best in my book...some very sound advice!
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

Post by Al Peasland Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:39 pm

Controlling that anger is all part of self protection.

Self Protection begins with The SELF.

We have to be able to control ourselves - and only fight when we absolutely have to.
    What if you go down and you lose - who's going to protect your family then?

We have to know that we tried everything else.

Possessions (in the most part) can be replaced, and are certainly not worth risking losing your life over.
    Remember, chances are you've been woken up by the intruder, the intruder will be already totally switched on and will have done this thing alot of times. How many people have we each confronted in our own homes. Probably once or twice if at all - unless you're really unlucky.

If you engage in physical you need to be absolutely sure you're going to win and no-one can guarantee that.

In my opinion, you need to try every other avenue first.
    Call police, make noises, barricade yourself in, set off panic alarm, the list goes on.

It's our ego that will take us down the stairs first and confront the intruder
    Ego is what says "Who do you think you are to steal my possessions?"

At the same time though, I do agree that if all steps have been taken and the intruder is not in your house for your TV, but you feel they are there for something much worse - then you have to engage and you need to do it quickly and take control by taking the fight to them.

Then you go in with as much aggression as if you would should there be 20 intruders.

Every situation is different, but you can only look after your family if you are in one piece.

Treat your family as though they are the VIP and you are their Bodyguard. Bodyguards do not go after attackers, they stay with the VIP and provide close protection. Bodyguards use the rest of their security team to take care of the threat - just as you use all of your other protection systems (Burglar alarms, high quality locks, phoning police, panic alarms, dog, razor wire on all windows and doors, flame thrower in hallway.....)

Well, maybe the last 2 were a little over the top - but you get my point.

stay safe

have fun

Al
    simon Young

Post by simon Young Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:23 pm

Al, i have thought about this situatiuon many times and through my training know what i should do, But!! every time i think about someone breaking into my house, deep down i have a nagging voice saying i would have to go down stairs and cut them up. (i have skinners knife in my bedroom). but what you wrote about the vip situation really simplifies the decission that must be made.

Great post Al

Si

Post by Guest Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:58 pm

Nice posts all and I cannot fault anyones advice on here,

Si, I am with you mate, I also have the same feelings as you and Les, its human nature mate. My Fiance and my kids ARE my world. take what you want IF you get in. I would be tempted to go down and take the fight to them but as Al says, there are no guarantees that you would win. This is the job this person or persons has decided to do, and its how they make their living so they are obviously good at it for the most part.

My job is as a father and partner and to protect my family to the best of my ability by doing EVERYTHING I can first to make sure they are safe. including, close doors, get everyone in one room upstairs. make noise, call the police etc etc. HOWEVER, if the threat became more serious and he or they attempted to get anything else from my family then all hell would break loose. I would generate as much ferocity, force and venom as I could muster, to do whatever it took to protect my family.

Nice post all

Craig
    simon Young

Post by simon Young Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:18 pm

From what i know of most intruders is that 99 0ut of a hundred of them are druggies looking for a quick score (dvd's, play stations etc) they will not venture upstairs if they think someone is in, and usually leave themselves an exit. any noise even a creak on an upstairs floorboard will send them fleeing. i think you would come across the more dangerous robbers if you lived in a million pound mansion and they where after abit more than a quick score.

si
    Alban Balliu
    Alban Balliu

Post by Alban Balliu Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:21 pm

In a way got to love Albania for the fact that the AK47 is always under the bed.
    All i can say is welcome once he's jumped over the fence and he's in my property. Evil or Very Mad
    Peter Skillen
    Peter Skillen

Post by Peter Skillen Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:04 pm

Now thats protection...unless of course he brings his too then thats war!
    Alban Balliu
    Alban Balliu

Post by Alban Balliu Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:23 pm

You are right Pete there have been a lot of cases when people just broke into someone else s home and the owner didn't have time to reach for his own weapon. Got beaten up and terrorized had money taken from them and the car on the way out.
    And there have been a lot of fire exchange between the parties, thats why everyone sleeps with guns next to them, it's a way of life and if you don't then what would you expect? but mainly is the burglars that get messed up if they get caught. Wink
    Peter Skillen
    Peter Skillen

Post by Peter Skillen Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:48 pm

crazy world sad situation..
    Horioni
    Horioni

Post by Horioni Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:37 pm

Lads wake up and smell the cold air of the night coming in through the open window or door ... In Dublin the Garda arrive an hour after you ring them... fuk the TV or Dvd..dont have one anyway... if someone breaks into the gaff, end of story, no castles or dojos, style or Zen... This is life not a movie or 3 weeks of learning... take a step forward and Protect Your Family!

Ha ha Dave
    Twisted Evil
    Horioni
    Horioni

Post by Horioni Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:44 pm

Irish humour!
    Peter Skillen
    Peter Skillen

Post by Peter Skillen Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:50 pm

or step forward and get yourself killed! How can you protect your family if your dead! If you have time you should get them all in one room and bar the door it is eayer to defend form behind a barred door you hold all the aces.the aces being your family ie:potential hostages.
    Dharma Bum
    Dharma Bum

Post by Dharma Bum Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:18 pm

i think it all boils down to the person and the situation

you want to protect your family first and foremost with as little brushes with the law as possible

preparation is the key ... an alarm, doors and windows that can be locked, a dog(s), toys hidden but easy accessible if the situation demands ... and the ability to use these tools if it does kick off ... small drills with your family so that they remain as calm as is possible in a situation like dealing with someone breaking in or walking in on burglers in your home (i have done small drills with my four year old daughter ... nothing too mad, i don't want her living in a state of constant fear ... but she knows that a baseball bat has many versatile uses ... and that there are bad 'mans' - as she calls them - out there who aren't as happy as us and would hurt us if they could) ... also know the law - what can i actually do or what is deemed necessary force etc. ... i have told my daughters mother that if she is broken into and in the house call the police and tell tham that she 'thinks' the intruder is armed with a gun ... as i know from experience that this gets the quickest response time from our local armed response units

i agree with Peter it is a crazy world ... don't underestimate anyone who breaks into your home ... even if it is a couple of junkies crawling out your window with your collection of 'Only Fools and Horses' DVD's ... my mother cleans houses and walked in after a house had been burgled, she had only just missed them she was lucky, small time or not, they had a meat cleaver, which they had taken from the kitchen, lying on the bed in case anyone walked in on them

do what you have to do to stay safe ... set mental triggers for what you are willing to do .... don't have weapons around that you aren't willing to use ... it takes alot of nerve to strike out with your fists alone sometimes so don't expect to be using knives, swords and guns to quickly

worse case scenario: better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Post by Guest Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:50 pm

im with pete on this one,
    there is a fine line between brave and stupidity. keeping a cool head, making sure my family are safe and sound in one room where as pete says I can control who comes in and they are on the back foot.

as long as my family are safe they can have what they want. however come near my family and its a different matter, i WILL do all I can to protect them.

Craig
    Les Turpin
    Les Turpin

Post by Les Turpin Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:51 pm

i do agree with Pete but also in my head its like...

bar yourself in a room to protect your family and let the fuckers do what they want. in my head i want to teach them that they cant do this to people, that they are scum and we dont want to put up with it. of course i want to protect my family, i want to protect everyone.

ego...yeah.... a personal problem i struggle with sometimes
    Peter Skillen
    Peter Skillen

Post by Peter Skillen Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:19 am

i know exactly where your coming from les it would wind me up exactly the same but its the lesser of two evils.

making as much noise as possible once your in that room will soon scare them off . Imagine their in your front room youve heard them you get you family safe call the police then all they hear is you " Ok im going down the fcuking stairs wheres my gun/sword" do you think they will wait to see if youve really got one or not?

I they have come for payback for something more serious and if this was the case for instance some one has threatened to come round my house and i knew it was going to happen not just some little shit trying it on then i would have to take the battle to them first and sort it away from my family.

Iwould then have to look at my life and ask muself why this is happening!

That way i chose the battle field so i am at the advantage.

Post by Guest Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:44 am

Amen to that pete.

Nice thread guys.

Craig
    Britt

Post by Britt Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:40 am

My first thoughts are always to get to my daughters room and get her in with us ;then, barricade the door ; telephone : family ; friends and the police ( we have 4 mobiles between us and two phones on the landline) put the ego away and (in the last analysis ) fight to the death if they enter the room ( which would mean smashing their way in) or seem likely to. Protecting the family is top priority ; saving the X box is not . 'Harder' people than us get burgled every day and we are not above druggy scumbags looking for stuff to sell for their next fix ; if its something more serious ( you have a criminal lifestyle) then your Karmic return is not good , so , CHANGE your life. Wink

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:41 am