The Self Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Everything Self Defence

4 posters

Philosophy of confrontation

dennis_thompson
    dennis_thompson

Philosophy of confrontation Empty Philosophy of confrontation

Post by dennis_thompson Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:15 pm

Whats your philosophy of confrontation? What would it take for you to go physical on someone?

Perhaps a gang of teens throw a hard snowball hitting your wife in the face, how about verbal abuse from a distance, maybe months of abuse from your overpowering boss makes you snap.

I know the legal situation and I know how self protection is taught, but can we hear some honesty just between us, what would trigger you guys off in a confrontation? Whats your philosophy?

For me I can have people crap on me all day long, water off a ducks back, even friends and relatives no problem, attack my wife or kids I can not in all honesty say I could control myself physically.

I know its both legally and moraly wrong but I feel I wouldn't hesitate to chokeslam someone through the nearest table that went for my nearest and dearest.

Cheers,

Den
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

Philosophy of confrontation Empty Re: Philosophy of confrontation

Post by Al Peasland Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:47 pm

For me, my general rule is - I get physical if I think someone is going to get physical with me, my family, my friends, or even someone who I see as being an innocent victim.

My intention is that awareness will give me the benefit of seeing things ahead of time - ie, spotting that my partner may be vulnerable to some sort of physical attack before it actually happens. Then my avoidance strategies simply apply to those with me as well, ie, I get us both out of harms way!

Basically my philosophy is to avoid trouble wherever humanly possible and to encourage those I am with to do the same.

If it looks like it's going to get physical then I will take it to that level and above before they do - without hesitation.

As for what I need to force my hand and get me to start choking, hitting - just enough indication that it's going to happen to me if I don't and if I can't find another way out!

I do not let Ego make the decision for me, I let my intuition, my experience and my training do that Wink

Not sure if this answers your question - but it's a tricky one to answer as there are always so many variables.

Post by Guest Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:19 pm

Nice post Al,

Very well put, and not a lot I can add to that if anything to be honest. We all have times where we feel we should do this or that, and many times it is as Al has mentioned Ego talking. If you are aware, and switched on. Then most times there is no need to be in that place, at that time as you will have seen it coming. I dont advocate people being in places which are known for trouble, whether it be pubs, clubs, or dark alleyways.

Best self protection of them all.

Dont be there.

Craig
    Steve Rowe
    Steve Rowe

Post by Steve Rowe Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:51 pm

People who are non compliant to the point of being ridiculous... they need to be taught.

People who say 'but would that work in a real fight'.... they need it to be proved.

People who don't pay their dues, they need to be turned upside down and shaken.

People that say that they are going to turn up at an event and then don't, they need a slap.

People that whinge at the slightest pain with that feeling sorry for themselves look.... they need to experience REAL pain!

People that think that if it's not on youtube it can't possibly work - they need to be knocked out and then woken up to smell the coffee!

People that dress up like aliens and then go around frightening people at seminars - mind you - they seem to get beaten up a lot on youtube tongue

People that moan a lot - hang on whilst I beat myself up! bounce

Post by Guest Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:15 pm

Blimey Steve

Just a couple then mate?

devil angel

Craig
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

Post by Al Peasland Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:22 pm

I like to hug everyone

It's just that I "hug" some people a little harder - until they fall "asleep" Wink

Post by Guest Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:39 pm

Yep,

He is a loving kinda guy is our Al,
    the amount of people falling at his feet are unbelievable, although im sure some of it has to do with those hugs he talks about Wink

Craig
    dennis_thompson
    dennis_thompson

Post by dennis_thompson Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:20 pm

Thanks for feedback guys,

Al that is exactly what I was looking for, I remember watching a dvd of Rick young who said h used to want to be the best inn the world, but realised thats unrealistic and wanted to be the best he could be. He then mentioned he had no ego problem and he could take all sorts of crap and walk away, but ifyou hurt his family he'd tear you a new a-hole, no matter how many there were.

I don't know what your thoughts are but I respect people with that attitude very highly.

Regards,

Den.
    Steve Rowe
    Steve Rowe

Post by Steve Rowe Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:32 pm

Sometimes it's also down to mood, my wife said the other day that in 26 years she's never known me to lose my temper and I said that doesn't mean I can't or won't, if I'm caught on a bad day at the wrong time.... sometimes it comes veeeeeery close.... and usually for something very trivial and stupid.
    Steve Rowe
    Steve Rowe

Post by Steve Rowe Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:38 pm

Did you see Micheal Douglas in 'falling down'? Who thought 'there but for the grace of god go I'?
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

Post by Al Peasland Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:09 am

Hi Dennis

Rick Young, in my humble opinion, is absolutely one of the best guys to model yourself on, if you were ever to choose someone.
    He has the most amazing ability married beautifully with the most balanced, sincere and humble attitude.

And here's the twist. When he said he realised being the best in the World was unrealistic, so he went for being the best he could be. Guess where that has left him??? - Well, unquestionably, one of the best in the World in his chosen field. Again, that is in my humble opinion, but I like to think that if we all just go out there to be the best we can be, who knows where that will be in relation to the rest of the world.....

Steve - Faling Down is an excelletn film on many levels, and yes - I have definitely had my Falling Down moments. It's not that we never lose it, it's how quickly we regain control and how sincerely we repair any damage we cause. Eventually we "lose it" less and less, realising that it doesn't really get us anywhere. It certainly didn't get Mr Douglas anywhere in the film - except maybe a nice pretty young wife - but that's a different story all together Laughing

What is it Patrick Swazey said? Be nice - Until it's time not to be nice...
    A cheesy film but a very good approach to adopt. Just make sure the time you decide not to be nice is fully justified and a last resort!
    Mick Tully
    Mick Tully

Post by Mick Tully Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:35 pm

Great post al!
    What about the gunslingers code though?
    Be nice to everyone,but have plans to kill any of them!
    I really need to stop hanging around with Rick Faye!
    Hahaha
    good work last nite senor,did you rumble with Big Jim?
    Mick x
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

Post by Al Peasland Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:06 pm

Hey Mr T

Yeah - thought I'd leave the gunslinger mentality for you to describe as you are far close to Mr Faye than I.

Yes, had a wee rumble with big Jim - but was a light session so only a thick lip and dulled confusion as to why I still cannot lay a glove on that big fella.
    The man can certainly move - and hit

Smile
    Cheers to you and Mark for the fantastic company on our travels and the top work during the session - you always make me raise my game Wink
    Mick Tully
    Mick Tully

Post by Mick Tully Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:12 pm

I'm just a cook,a lowly cook:-P
    x

Post by Guest Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:15 pm

Bacon Egg and Sausage for me then mickster, with a few slices of black pudding on the side....

And for desert, Erika Eleniak jumping out of a cake Twisted Evil

Craig
    Mick Tully
    Mick Tully

Post by Mick Tully Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:08 pm

I got some moves of my own! Hahaha
    Question,
    who would win....Casey Ryback or Mason Storm? X

Post by Guest Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:38 pm

I heard you had some moves mate, but breakdancing on a fri night
    wearing addidas sambas and luminescent clothing wasnt what I was thinking of mate. but thanks for sharing Wink

Hmmm Casey Ryback, Cunning, smart, his inginuity second to none, firearms expert, and kicks ass, oh and cooks too.

Or Mason storm with the will not to quit, sheer tenacity, ability to kick ass, and will do whatever it takes to get the job done...

Tough call, but id have to go with Ryback I think on this one,

Although Mason storm was awesome also.

Good old hard to Kill.

How about Samo Hung and Jackie chan Winner would be ????

Or Jet Li and Tony Jaa

Craig

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:28 pm