The Self Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Everything Self Defence

3 posters

Terry O'neil

Steve Heneghan
    Steve Heneghan

Terry O'neil Empty Terry O'neil

Post by Steve Heneghan Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:54 am

There used to be a story maybe an urban myth, That Terry O'Neil had specially made trousers to allow him to do Mawahi Geri on the doors, anyone know if it is true ?
    moldeeside

Terry O'neil Empty Re: Terry O'neil

Post by moldeeside Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:39 pm

hello steve
    in dennis martins book `working with warriors` he says about terrys shoes being absolutely knackered because of his kicks, and I`m 99% certain he mentions him wearing sports slacks or similar to make sure he didn`t rip them.
    I`ll have another look tonight and let you know. He also says Terrys record for knock outs with head kicks in one night on the door is eleven !

awesome bloke, wouldn`t want to spill his pint or kick my football in his garden.

cheers

Mol
    moldeeside

Post by moldeeside Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:39 pm

I stand corrected, Dennis says that Terry was a terrible wind up merchant so would go to smart clothes shops for a jacket and pants and would do a full lat spread in a posh jacket and rip it in half across the back seam, and to test out pants he`d get a pair on then start throwing head kicks within an inch or two of the rather nervous male assistants.
    SamJ

Post by SamJ Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:43 am

Hi Steve

Wouldn't surprise me at all. Moledeeside mentions Denis Martin's book, if you don't have a copy you should get one as it gives some great anecdotes about Terry and host of others - it's a great read.

Sam
    Steve Heneghan
    Steve Heneghan

Terry O'neil Empty Working with Warriors

Post by Steve Heneghan Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:29 am

Sam,
    I do heve the book and about half way through, the Gary Spiers bit. I actually know the places, I was there as a customer !! I often saw Terry and Dennis on the doors, I was at my early stages in Shotokan at the time. I trained at the Liverpool Red Triangle and Terry would sometimes train there, though he had his own dojo in Victoria Street and I went there a few times as well. A friend of mine's dad was manager of the Top Rank and he tells some great stories about those times.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:51 pm