The Self Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Everything Self Defence

+2
Al Peasland
adamuk
6 posters

brazilian jujitsu

adamuk
    adamuk

brazilian jujitsu Empty brazilian jujitsu

Post by adamuk Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:26 pm

Hi Alan,

I haven't had the privilage to train with you as of yet, but hope to do so in the not to distant future.

Do you train in BJJ or do you feel that the grappling knowledge you have with wrestling and judo is plenty for the street?

What systems are you training in or working on at present?

I read on the forum that you are training Kali. What are your thoughts on this system and have you ever been attacked by an opponent with a blade that has attacked in a manner similar to the kali class?

Appreciate the feed back,

Cheers,

Adam
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

brazilian jujitsu Empty Re: brazilian jujitsu

Post by Al Peasland Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:00 pm

Hi Adam

Thanks for your post and apologies for the delay - was away in the Brecons all weekend.

I haven't trained BJJ, but it was probably the Gracies and the Machados who got me interested in the grappling arts in the first place.

I'm not actively seeking to train in BJJ at the moment, although will try to train with the likes of Rick Young whenever he's in town. And certainly, my own grappling art is not of a level where I feel there's no point in looking at BJJ or otehr ground fighting arts that I haven't really trained in. In fact, I don't think you can ever get to a level in one art where you can then dismiss other arts.

For me it's just a matter of time at the moment.

The Kali is something I've only really dabbled with, but love the fluidity of the art.
    I'm currently training in JKD with Terry Barnett, which is really complimenting what I have already trained in.
    Some of it is adding to what I already have, such as the Boxing, some of it is completely new to me, such as the stick and knife, etc.
    I'm also working alot on fitness, I'm boxing, grappling and generally working out on pads and bags - in addition to teaching (obviously)

And yes, I have been attacked by people with blades.
    I was attacked one night by a guy with a machette - I hadn't done much (if any) real edged weapons training up to this point, so my response probably wasn't anything like you'd see in a Kali or JKD or other weapons trainign class.
    I turned and ran - with legs as fast as bees wings.

But in my humble opinion, if you are in a weapons class and the instructor tells you to use any response other than that of run away, when you are unarmed and faced with a guy wielding a machette - you need to find a new instructor!

I decided to stop suddenly in my tracks and plant a right hand on this guys jaw as he ran into me. I thought this would be a great idea and would allow me to catch the guy when he least expects it.
    As he's running up the road the last thing he's expecting me to do is stop and turn and fight - so my plan was to turn and whack him - and with the combined force of my punch and him running on to it - the plan had all the makings of a knock out that would last for a week.

What actually happened was I was full of massive adrenalin, I stopped, I turned, I threw my punch and I missed :-)

He then took a swipe whith his machette which I cleverly blocked with my back, as I ducked to avoid it taking my head off.

The only thing that saved me from being cut into two AL's half the original size was the fact he had previously been whacking the nightclub door with his weapon and had knocked any kind of edge off it. He also struck me like he was hitting me with a bat rather than slicing it through me, and it was winter which mean't I was working the door with a couple of t-shirts, a sweat shirt and a think overcoat.

I then ran away again - faster than before :-)

There is more to this story that is not relevant here - but to answer your question.

I now train with the stick and knife - I am still very much a white belt and loving every minute.
    Is it realistic? - probably not.
    Is it valuable training? - definitely.

Personally, I don't think there are many attacks that are similar to the way most arts (not just Kali) teach the attacks.
    The reason for that is that most attacks that end in a knife sticking out of someone happen before you've even seen the knife.

If they show it they most likely want to you see it and want to scare you with it.
    From a self defence point of view - give them what they want!
    It's not for me to tell you to attack them or try to disarm them.

If I cannot avoid it then I have 2 options.

Either I go all out to control the knife arm - regardless of whatelse they are doing.
    If they are hitting me in the head with their other hand - that is still better than being stabbed in the head by the knife hand - so I would be aiming to crash in and control the knife

Or

I will continue with my own plan regardless of what weapon they have.
    I would still keep my fence up, I would use my verbal skills to either explde the situation into an aggressive fence or distract them with a submissive style, then get my first shot in with a pre-emptive strike.

This is very generalised and there are a million - what if's which I cannot answer here - but that is my general approach

Firstly - don't be there
    Secondly - if your awareness and avoidance has let you down - escape at every opportunitu
    Thirdly - if all else fails either control the weapon hand or plough in with your own attacks regardless

Either way - expect to get cut

If you don't then you are very lucky and so go buy a lottery ticket immediately

It's more a matter of how badly you're going to be cut rather than whether or not you will be cut!

I've waffled - my apologies - but hope some of this makes sense

Cheers

AL cheers
    Mick Tully
    Mick Tully

Post by Mick Tully Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:30 pm

when you talk sense...you really talk sense!
    just as an addition to what alan said the one and only Paul Vunak said"even with all my years of experience in the arts and on the street,I would give myself a 10% chance of survival if fully engaged in a bladed encounter"
    good enough to make me have a more realistic attitude towards the knife!!
    ie.....scarper as fast as my little fat legs will let me!!!
    mick x
    Dave Stanswood
    Dave Stanswood

Post by Dave Stanswood Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:05 pm

Winners drip
    Losers gush
    Very Happy
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

Post by Al Peasland Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:23 pm

Ha
    I like that one

Just given me an idea for a new post Laughing
    Nathan

Post by Nathan Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:15 am

Excellent advice Al. Couldn't agree more with all that you said. As Geoff and you always point out, the amount of psychological stress and mental log jam you'll encounter will cloud your response time and physical techniques.

When a guy got out his car and came at me with a telescopic wheel brace I fenced up and controlled the distance while talking him down, but ALL i could think about was this bloody great big iron bar in his hand. Egoistic pride stopped me running and thats something we all need to get over in our training.

Theres a new SP training regime - see you all down at the track for 400m sprint training followed by parkour (free running).

Post by Guest Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:26 am

Count me in for the running session mate,
    if i can make some better time on my sprints im all for it.

Shocked
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

Post by Al Peasland Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:25 pm

I could use all the help with my running that I can get.

More middle distance than a sprinter - but the hill sprinting recently is making a big difference.

Run Forest Run rabbit

Post by Guest Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:34 pm

my momma always said

" life was like a box of chocolates, ya never know what ya gonna get "

damn, all these quotes flying around....
    Nathan

Post by Nathan Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:56 pm

I prefer Roy "Chubby" Brown's interpretation of that quote:

"Life's like oral sex, one slip of the tongue and you're in the s**t"

Post by Guest Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:51 pm

lol!

there is always one to lower the tone, well done nath
    today your it lol. who's next lol!

still a classic though.
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

Post by Al Peasland Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:00 pm

lol!
    adamuk
    adamuk

Post by adamuk Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:29 pm

Wow, thanks for that reply Alan.

That was more than I expected and I really appreciate it.
    Oh, And Terry Barnet is under an hour drive from my place Smile
    Nick Engelen

Post by Nick Engelen Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:07 am

Hi Al,

I did some hill sprinting with John skillen and I know it's tough Smile

I think we had actualy agreed that Peter Skillen would show me Nothingham as I am a big Robin Hood fan. After training John said to Peter forget about Sherwood forrest he is coming for hillsprinting tomorow Smile

I did and was sore for a week afterwords Smile

Still hope Peter will show me Nothingham and sherwood one day Smile

Kind Regards,

Nick Engelen
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

Post by Al Peasland Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:06 am

You're a bravery man than me Nick, training with John.

He's crazy (in the nicest possible way)

The Thursday session he does with Peter C and a few others looks fierce.

I'm doing some similar stuff twice a week, but not for the duration that those guys are training.
    30 minutes of intense CV is more than enough for me at the moment.

It's my version of Urban Fitness training - thinking of making it into a small class for people who want to pay for the privellege of being beasted around the Milton Keynes parks.
    (no Mick T - not in that way!) Laughing

Good to hear from you Nick - I'll bring your books with me to the next masterclass

Take care

Al

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:11 am