The Self Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Everything Self Defence

2 posters

What is the difference, or benefits between using a curved focus pad or straight?

esther
    esther

What is the difference, or benefits between using a curved focus pad or straight? Empty What is the difference, or benefits between using a curved focus pad or straight?

Post by esther Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:06 am

Hi Tony, ive been thinking recently, what is the difference/benefits between using a curved focus pad and a straight one? I notice that general shops only seem to sell straight ones.I know that in our club FFMA we all use curved ones, so i was curious really. Thanks Tony thumbsup
    Tony Terranova
    Tony Terranova

What is the difference, or benefits between using a curved focus pad or straight? Empty Re: What is the difference, or benefits between using a curved focus pad or straight?

Post by Tony Terranova Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:25 am

Hi Esther,

The whole subject of pads can be subjective with many opinions – here are a few of my views on pads:

• Small flat focus pads are better when you are punching and kicking (combinations for transition movement). The curved ones can be more difficult to kick if they have a large curved face and especially if you are kicking bare foot
    • Curved small focus pads are better for combination punching which include uppercuts and hooks as the punch neatly tucks into the curve part of the pad
    • Small focus pads should be used for light technical kicking, although with good pad and accurate striking skills you can increase the power with care. Small focus pads are good for speed and accuracy.
    • Thai pads are great they can be used for heavy kicking and combinations with elbows, punches and knees – they are not however as good for speed drills when punching as are small focus pads –
    • Kick shields should be used for heavy kicking drills and practicing rugby tackles – as you know we practice rugby tackles at our club as that prepares our nervous system in the unfortunate event we get into a confrontation with a big rugby player with a few pints inside his gut to fuel his quest of a good scrap – he will run at you and try and slam you down – it is good practice the counter movement for this and to increase our resistance against such a slam -

Good pad holding is a skill and a rare skill – if you want to know more on the science of pad holding speak to Alan MacDonald as he is the best pad holder at FFMA.

Keep up the good work at class you are doing well

Your friend
    Tony. T

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:35 am