The Self Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Everything Self Defence

3 posters

Comebacks & Reprisals

Marc1978

Comebacks & Reprisals Empty Comebacks & Reprisals

Post by Marc1978 Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:43 pm

Al,

In your time spent working as a doorman how did you cope with the threat of comebacks and reprisals?

Marc study
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

Comebacks & Reprisals Empty Re: Comebacks & Reprisals

Post by Al Peasland Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:21 am

Hi Marc

Good question mate.

It all depended on who it was and how "real" I thought the threat would be.
    It's fair to say that the vast majority of comeback threats are empty threats

We always had a rule of thumb that if someone threatened to comeback - they would either come back the following night or the same night of the following week.
    If they hadn't returned by then - that was usually the end of the matter.

Most people threaten to comeback as a way of saving face on the night, and usually feel differently once they've had time to calm down and think it through.

But that's still no reason not to be prepared, which I always was.

For me, if I had threats of comebacks then I would take control of the situation and go and do the visiting myself.
    Take it to them on my terms and on my time rather than sit and wait.

Basically, if there was ever any threats like this then I simply "upped" my own levels of awareness and personal security measures until I felt the threat had passed or is had been dealt with.

I never let it get to me emotionally though, which is the main reason someone threatens to come back - they want to leave you with this constant slow release of fear and adrenalin. I knew this was the game so I managed it accordingly. The best way to do that is to analyse the situation - work out the worst and best that can happen - decide how you're going to deal with it and then put it to the back of your mind.
    No point dwelling on stuff or spending the next weeks or months with this fear hanging over you - either deal with it straight away or you have to put it to one side - otherwise it will drag you down.

Is this something you've had experience of too?
    Abnett
    Abnett

Post by Abnett Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:17 pm

Totally agree with Al's answer there! I was just going to say "if it happens it happens, deal with one problem at a time" or thereabouts. I'm just about to start a few weeks stint back on the doors after near enough a year out, feel a little nervous about first night back in the saddle but that'll pass quick enough. Cool
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

Post by Al Peasland Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:09 am

Good luck mate.

The worst thing I did was when I retired from the dors, was to go back for the "odd shift".
    All the nerves came back, and I was definitely ring rusty.

It's definitely an "all-or-nothing" kind of job if you want to stay at the top of your game.

Stay safe mate Wink

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:48 pm