The Self Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Everything Self Defence

+3
Dave Stanswood
Nathan
Mick Tully
7 posters

books/films that have changed your life!

Mick Tully
    Mick Tully

books/films that have changed your life! Empty books/films that have changed your life!

Post by Mick Tully Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:24 pm

c'mon people
    show me yours and i'll show you mine!
    mick x Very Happy
    Nathan

books/films that have changed your life! Empty Re: books/films that have changed your life!

Post by Nathan Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:01 pm

I read "Fear, the friend of exceptional people" by Geoff Thompson and after only 2 chapters in I made arrangements to go back to college and quit the factory 2 weeks later.

5 years on I was a fully qualified teacher and havn't looked back. Mind you, the prospect of putting a bolt through a motor (approx 3 second action) then moving onto the next one on a conveyor belt for 8 hour shifts at £4.19 an hour does seem like the smart future carreer choice!

Anyone else got some old jobs they want to share?

books/films that have changed your life! Empty Re: books/films that have changed your life!

Post by Guest Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:07 pm

Working in a book binding factory, binding, shrink wrapping, and boxing books and magazines until I could not read text on anything.

Boy those were the days.

I read watch my back, and vowed to be able to learn from geoff, and low and behold, I have, I am, and things are changing and have changed for the better.

plus numerous other books from himself and many other authors to, but geoff was the catalyst for me.

cheers
    Dave Stanswood
    Dave Stanswood

Post by Dave Stanswood Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:54 am

Books, Jonathan livingstone seagull, on war, the art of war, what they dont teach you at harvard business school, the gift of fear, a boy called it, lovely bones. the maccavellian, lord of the rings (trilogy), on single combat, watch my back,

Films, shawshank redemption, enter the dragon, saving private ryan ( i had no interest in war until i watched this i had no idea it was like that), its a wonderful life (if you have not seen this watch it its about a father and son in germany in the 2nd world war and the father makes out to his son its all a game. There jewish and are being moved to a camp), Jaws (i still hate the water), seven samurai or anything by akira kurosawa.
    Davey
    Davey

Post by Davey Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:19 pm

Same as Nathan

I read Fear by Geoff Thompson
    Found it very interesting, inspiring and a very good read indeed

As Films..... hmmm Enter the Dragon was the first, which is probably the same for most.
    Others include
    -Enter the Ninja
    -No Retreat No Surrender
    -Nine Deaths of the ninja
    -Revenge of the ninja
    -American Ninja
    -ooh ohh and one of the later ones Angel Town with Oliver Grunner. god!! the list goes on.

Smile
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

Post by Al Peasland Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:16 pm

Jonathan Livingston Seagull. by Richard Bach

A very short book, has sold millions. If you want an hours read that makes you get off your backside and realise that you can do whatever you want and not just what those around you tell you you can or should be doing - this is the book for you Wink

Fence Concepts Book - by a possibly familiar name on this forum - out very very soon!!!
    It's changed my life but then I have had to read it a few hundred times to get the typesetting sorted.
    Laughing
    D.Hughes
    D.Hughes
    Admin

Post by D.Hughes Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:32 pm

30 years of NLP by richard bandler. its an awesome watch and i would definately recommend everyone take a look. Very Happy
    Steve Rowe
    Steve Rowe

Post by Steve Rowe Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:35 pm

The 'Tao Te Ching' by Lao Tsu translated by Guang Feng and Jane English, given to me by my first Tai Chi teacher around '76.... it literally (excuse the pun Very Happy) turned my life around and started me off on a life long quest studying Taoism, Buddhism, Zen etc...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:35 am