The Self Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Everything Self Defence

4 posters

I dont know what to do!! Take redundancy or not.

esther
    esther

I dont know what to do!! Take redundancy or  not. Empty I dont know what to do!! Take redundancy or not.

Post by esther Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:12 am

Ive just been told my job is being cut from 26 hrs to 13.I have to reapply.If im successfull i keep my 13 hrs and any extra that might happen if people take a sickie.I would also be on a months trial for a job ive been doing for 4 years!! Then they could get rid of me and say im not suitable.Also i would lose my redundancy.Or i go next week with a mths redundancy.If i sign on which i dont look forward to im only £10 a week difference worse off.I knew something was coming but i didnt know i was going to be this affected. My worst nightmare. Advice please. Thanks in advance. pale
    Derrick64

I dont know what to do!! Take redundancy or  not. Empty Re: I dont know what to do!! Take redundancy or not.

Post by Derrick64 Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:37 pm

That is a difficult one. With the greatest of respect, were you good at your job? It sounds like they're trying to get rid of you or something?
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

I dont know what to do!! Take redundancy or  not. Empty Re: I dont know what to do!! Take redundancy or not.

Post by Al Peasland Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:44 pm

Hi Esther

I've already sent you a message on this from the other day so you know my thoughts on it.

Lets not look at this from the point of view that they are technically forcing you out f a job by making you re-apply for effectively a totally different deal (less hours, etc etc)

Why not look at this like they are finally freeing you up for something new and exciting that's just around the corner.

New things will only come when you have room for them and this job up to now will have prevented that - now you have the opportunity to try something new - either in the same industry or otherwise.
    I'm sure if you help them out by leaving altogether, they'll at least give you a glowing reference as you're doing them a favour and saving them some cash

Drop me another line if you want to chat

AL ;-)
    esther
    esther

Post by esther Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:21 pm

Thanks Al, i always appreciate your thoughts.

Derrick, yes i am good at my job, apparently they dont want anyone to leave they say today, but obviously having all of our hours cut like this isnt much good to us.The unknown is scary whichever way you look at it.If i take the redundancy and leave jobs arent 2 a penny, im skilled in other areas, but it might take a while to maybe build a business for myself.Im just curious to know what peoples opinions are.I have to decide by the end of the weekend.
    Derrick64

Post by Derrick64 Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:29 pm

What is your job? It may be relevant?
    esther
    esther

Post by esther Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:52 pm

Hi Derrick, i work in JJB sports.
    Derrick64

Post by Derrick64 Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:02 pm

In what capacity? Are you one of the sales assistants or do you have a career there?
    esther
    esther

Post by esther Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:12 pm

Im a part time sales assistant.Been there 4 years.Ive made a decision.Im taking the redundancy.The 13 hours they offer isnt enough.Hopefully new things will come along soon. Sad
    Derrick64

Post by Derrick64 Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:10 am

I think that;s the wrong way to look at things. Go and get new things. Don't wait for them to come along.
    esther
    esther

Post by esther Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:03 am

thanks derrick for you advice, and Al thanks
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

Post by Al Peasland Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:01 pm

Hi Esther

You've taken the brave step - well done

They say what's meant for you won't pass you by - but you still need to keep an eye out Wink

Go get em and good luck

Keep us posted

Al cheers
    moldeeside

Post by moldeeside Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:51 pm

hello esther
    you might already know but if you go on monster.com you can search jobs all over the place and they can inform you when something comes up, and I`d knock up a CV to post out as well, just blanket bomb anywhere you fancy and see how it goes.
    Don`t just limit it to things youve done, include your likes and dislikes, skills, successes, and fingers crossed it will all come good for you.

best of luck

Mol
    esther
    esther

Post by esther Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:45 pm

thanks guys. Very Happy
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

Post by Al Peasland Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:14 pm

As I mentioned in my email Esther - might be time to have a read through YOU UNLIMITED

Some great tools to figure out what you really are passionate about and also skilled at - then you shape your job spec to suit your skills

Good luck

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 10:35 pm