The Self Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Everything Self Defence

5 posters

ABC Combat System

Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

ABC Combat System Empty ABC Combat System

Post by Al Peasland Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:48 pm

I like the idea of coming up with new ways to learn fast - this one using the alphabet is quite clever

However, when Chris talks about using this under pressure and the simplicity of being able to recall your alphabet and so, be able to apply the right technique under stress - I'm not so sure about

Recalling your alphabet to decide what is the right technique is surely still a conscious act - and I would have thought that, what comes naturally and instinctively for the situation is going to over-ride any conscious recollection of your alphabet

Massive repetition is the key to getting the right technique when under extreme stress

I do like the clever idea of how to learn and train a series of moves though - very clever.

what do you think?

Steve Rowe
    Steve Rowe

ABC Combat System Empty Re: ABC Combat System

Post by Steve Rowe Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:49 pm

IMO it's far too limiting. Technique must be shapeless arising from principles not made to fit the alphabet.
    Michael W Wright
    Michael W Wright

Post by Michael W Wright Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:53 pm

The fastest and most effective way to learn how to do something is simply to do it. Everything over and above that is lengthening, contaminating and weakening the learning process.

If you want to learn to drive you get behind the wheel and drive. If someone suggested that in order to help you pass your driving test you should study wine tasting or bee keeping, you’d laugh at them. And yet, people in martial arts will listen to and believe the most obscure and ridiculous claims about effective training methods, as long as they think it provides a short cut on time, effort, and discomfort. As we all know, there is no such thing, and any claim to the contrary is simply a marketers attempt to differentiate their product from everyone else’s.

In another industry where unfounded marketing claims may lead to someone taking an item back to a shop, or wanting a refund on a holiday, the effects can be relatively harmless. In an industry where misleading people about their ability to defend themselves could result in fatal consequences, I think instructors have a responsibility to stop and smell what it is they are shovelling.
    Marc1978

Post by Marc1978 Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:48 pm

I consider Chris Crudelli an experienced martial artist but NOT a self defence/self protection practitoner/instructor.I once saw him on the Paul O Grady show where he was asked to demonstrate a 'self defence technique' out of the hundreds he could have picked he choose to show a defence against a baseball bat wielding attacker! Shocked (a 'Show' technique to make himself look good) he also demostrates this same defence technique (against a baseball bat wielding attacker!) on his tv show to registered door supervisors!! (they didn't look too impressed!).Overall his brick breaking techniques/chi-gung demo's are good,but i think he should stay in that area and not go on national T.V and perform crazy self defence 'Show' techniques. Rolling Eyes

Marc study
    Jonny Figgis
    Jonny Figgis

Post by Jonny Figgis Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:47 pm

I don't know much about his system but from Al's description it all sounds way too complicated! And just unrealistic. For self defence purposes, most people training in this area have a few very solid, very well practised techniques that they would use and everything else is back-up. People will use particular techniques as they feel 'natural' for them. I've always been taught that it should be based on natural body movements, gross motor and without having to think about it too much. What instills this is repetition, repetition and then when you're sick of that, more repetition Smile A principles & concepts based system in my opinion is far superior to a technique based system but those principles and concepts still have to be realistic and applicable under duress.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:41 am