The Self Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Everything Self Defence

4 posters

I want to take up self defence

dwarfer09

I want to take up self defence Empty I want to take up self defence

Post by dwarfer09 Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:43 am

So I was driving to pick up my woman when another caught my eye and this yob happened to cycle out infront of me in a way like "You will stop for ME!" kind of attitude. So I slam on my breaks and throw each other threats, he's like "WATCH WHERE YA GOING PRICK!" ... okay so I took my eyes off the road but he was in the wrong! he tells me to get out of my car so he can lay me out, I'm like nah I'll leave this one and drive off like an asshole. - Unlike you lot, I've never been involved in a fight!!

So anyway, thinking about what should have been I take my dog out and like some prick gives me the eyes, I'm walking towards him minding my own and looking back at him he's still stairin at me like "I can do this all day pussy". Again, I'm like "I ain't gettin involved", even my dog wanted a piece of this guy he was gettin a bit agressive towards him as we passed.

As I was walkin on I google my phone "how to look tough" gettin all these tips about stances. It was when I got home when I felt like taking up martial art classes, if only to keep myself fit but if someone tries anything on me... well, you know! It's always handy to have a bit of a skill locked inside you ready when you need it incase some nut comes up to me and wants to kill me or my dog.

I've found a lot of classes in my area but I looked on youtube and I seem to like the martial arts they throw at people. I came across a class near me called Nippon UK, they do private personal classes as well as mass adult classes.

Check this one out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JWFIFgWk8k

I so want that skill in me!!!

Comments about what you think I should do, if its a good idea... what to you think.
    drgndrew
    drgndrew

I want to take up self defence Empty Re: I want to take up self defence

Post by drgndrew Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:18 am

you could start by not spamming self defence/protection forums.
    drgndrew
    drgndrew

Post by drgndrew Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:38 am

ok I decided to treat this as a genuine query, instead of the spam it obviously is after all there are people out there that genuinely want advice about starting Self defence.

First of all when looking for self defence do not assume a class with "Martial Arts" in the name is going to automatically provide you with real world self defence ability. The majority of martial arts classes advertise that they do self defence but that doesn't mean they are going to b able to provide you with ability to defend yourself. they most likely will teach you how to do self defence techniques but often they neglect how to apply it in a real situation. it' akin to learning how to swim in a shallow calm pool and be expected to swim just as effortlessly in the rough seas with currents rips wind spray waves and seaweed to tangle your legs up.

You have to look further then the name or the advert. Here is a post on the Senshido forum by Richard Dimitri explaining what to look for in a class if real self defence is your goal.

Guys... Is this art good for self defense?

now let me point out some of the mistakes you did and some alternate options.

dwarfer09 wrote:So I was driving to pick up my woman when another caught my eye and this yob happened to cycle out infront of me in a way like "You will stop for ME!" kind of attitude.
    first mistake was taking your eyes of the road, being distracted from the jop at hand remember you are reasonsible for a 1500+kg battering ram. But hey as Dave (Turton) would say, even monkeys fall out of trees.

So I slam on my breaks and throw each other threats,.....
    Mistake 2. you escalate the situation by throwing insults back at the guy

, he's like "WATCH WHERE YA GOING PRICK!" ... okay so I took my eyes off the road but he was in the wrong!

it doesn't matter whos in the wrong, the situation is the situation.

he tells me to get out of my car so he can lay me out, I'm like nah I'll leave this one and drive off like an asshole. - Unlike you lot, I've never been involved in a fight!!

this isn't a mistake this is a safe thing to do .... oh and don't assume things of others

So anyway, thinking about what should have been I take my dog out and like some prick gives me the eyes, I'm walking towards him minding my own and looking back at him he's still stairin at me like "I can do this all day pussy". Again, I'm like "I ain't gettin involved", even my dog wanted a piece of this guy he was gettin a bit aggressive towards him as we passed.
    so you take your dog for a walk, the dog is aggressive towards someone. again don't assume the guy is staring at you to start something thats just paranoid, don't dismiss the possibility but just don't assume it is the case. he may have just been watching you and the dog, maybe he had a bad run in with a dog in the past and was actually a little scared, maybe he did just want to rip you head of but given the info you gave I doubt it. remember dogs can and are intimidating, a person usually will not attack someone with a dog, unless they to have a dog too.

Beside you could have quite easily given him a wide birth or even changed drections away from him, which is what you should have done.

As I was walkin on I google my phone.....

Big mistake while your head is buried in your phone surfing the net your awareness is shot. this is one of teh top things a predator look for a lack of awareness, or someone that is not switched on.

...... I google my phone "how to look tough" gettin all these tips about stances.
    sure "looking tough" might persuade some guys from having a go at you but if they are looking to boost there ego you may actually atract more problems then repel, especially if you don't pull the looking tough tactic off.

body language and appearance are the only things that a predator has to go on when selecting a victim. but you would be far better choosing an confident stance and being aware of whats in your environment and where you are in your environment then trying to look tough.

A simple but very effective trick is to walk with a purpose, you can do this by simply walking to something as opposed to just walking. for eg you are heading this way so you walk too the tree and then you walk to the signpost etc etc. simply doing this changes your body language enough for a predator to think twice as to whether you are a suitable target or not. you see a person walking with purpose is someone in control of their awareness and in control of there position in the environment.

It was when I got home when I felt like taking up martial art classes, if only to keep myself fit but if someone tries anything on me... well, you know! It's always handy to have a bit of a skill locked inside you ready when you need it in case some nut comes up to me and wants to kill me or my dog.

refer top what I said in my first few points, I recomend that you try to find a reputable RBSD (Reality Based Self Defence) club in your area, this will give you the skills you want in the shortest time, you can then continue with a martial art for fitness etc if you wish though many simply continue training RBSD.... it's your choice, but firmly believe that you (everyone) should obtain proficiency in RBSD first and then look at the other aspects of Martial arts later as a compliment

I've found a lot of classes in my area but I looked on you tube and I seem to like the martial arts they throw at people. I came across a class near me called Nippon UK, they do private personal classes as well as mass adult classes.

on the home page of Nippon UK they have a trophy and reference to their Kata champions and a picture of a cute little kid in a gi. Straight away this will tell you that they are sport and family martial arts oriented and not real world self defence oriented, nothing wrong with that if thats what you want to do, but I would suggest you first find a RBSD style school and then look at teh styles in the Nippon UK later as a hobby.

Check this one out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JWFIFgWk8k

I so want that skill in me!!!

No you don't .......... not if you are serious about defending yourself in the real world

Later Drew

P.s. if you're real, you can tell us where you are located, I'm sure someone here would be able to suggest a good place to start.
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

Post by Al Peasland Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:21 am

Drew

A perfect response mate - thanks for taking the time.

Nothing else to add - especially, as the original post does look very dubious - but as you so right put it - always best to give it the benefit of the doubt.

Just to re-iterate, Dwarfer, please would you mind introducing yourself in the Introductions section

Cheers

Al
    Dave Turton

Post by Dave Turton Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:46 am

drew mate.. you have more patience than me
    dwarfer09

Post by dwarfer09 Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:03 pm

Hey thanks for the reply, the point on the RBSD style I'll have to look into that, I did a quick look on google earth for martial arts places near me but I doubt they will mention "RBSD" - as I say I'm new to this kind of stuff. I did karate in my youth but stopped at a green belt (now you will tell me I should try re-joining as green belt) - but it was in my youth. Will I quit again? Unlikely, I'm older and I know what I want out of life, and thats not to be pushed around, all I want is to defend myself if someone tries something, 3 occasions in 3 days someone staired at me since the altercation with that guy who came out in front of me, what are the odds!

To reply about the guy who was stairing at me, he was on to me like a hawk, I couldn't avoid him I had to walk by him to go to the brook or turn back home and just go around the block (boring).

I live in Preston, Lancashire. Postcode near PR2 1XR, google earth will take you straight there onto Dodney Drive, if you find tudor ave and follow the road north to the golf course, just south of the canal is the walk and where the road ends near the bridge, that's where the intimidating guy was looking at me - where google street maps ends on that road at the bottom, thats exactly where the guy was standing, I was going left, he was on the right hand side.

Anyway, thanks for your reply, I look forward to your expert response.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:33 pm