The Self Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Everything Self Defence

+11
Peter Skillen
Joe Hubbard
cocktail
Dave Stanswood
Abnett
Dik
Lee Morrison
Les Turpin
D.Hughes
bobspour
Disco Fingers
15 posters

4.20am....you wake up....

Peter Skillen
    Peter Skillen

4.20am....you wake up.... - Page 2 Empty Re: 4.20am....you wake up....

Post by Peter Skillen Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:28 pm

I am solidly with disco fingers on this one....My first priority is the kids and mrs, get them in the same room first, bar the door, phone the police, secure alternate exit. I Will not put my life or anybody elses at risk for the sake of a few inanimite objects. The safety of my mrs, kids and myself is paramount, fcuk the tv.... I, after surviving said ordeal would then go find out where my stuff is and retrieve it.

REVENGE IS A DISH BEST SERVED COLD!
    Michael W Wright
    Michael W Wright

Post by Michael W Wright Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:52 am

Les Turpin wrote:nope ....

i have the absolute mindset that i will win. Richard Grannon calls it tenacious resolve others call it mushin ....

anything else and i am allowing myself to die and not be able to defend my family.

Bravo, sir. In a culture infected with fear and the victim mentality, it is your attitude that is so lacking in our society.

When I was a kid, I got into martial arts with the ideal that one day it would enable me to stand up and fight for right against wrong. Maybe that's a romantic notion, but that's me. Having been burgled four times in the last ten years, never being in at the time with many precious things taken, who the fuck is anyone to break into my home and steal what I work hard for.

We are supposed to be the warriors. If the warriors are upstairs hiding in the bathroom hoping the bad guys will go away, then we really are fucked. You have to retain an immovable belief that these guys have no idea what is about to happen to them, otherwise all of our training is just an illusion.

Its not just about a TV, its about the fact that you want to walk into my home, violate my space, take what's mine and put my family in harms way. I'm not going to hide away and let you do that, so fuck you - I'm coming down the stairs.
    Peter Skillen
    Peter Skillen

Post by Peter Skillen Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:34 am

yes and just as you reach the bottem of those stairs BANG! blood and gunsmoke! Or a twelve inch blade slides into your heart, another child loses their father , a wife loses her husband and the world loses another good guy....

When that burglar is standing in the aisle in tescos and i walk up to him without my wife and kids we'll see how tough his is then...

Brains will always beat brawn!
    Joe Hubbard
    Joe Hubbard

Post by Joe Hubbard Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:11 am

A few of you are assuming that people who break into your home just want to steal your property. This MO is gradually changing in the UK. What happens while all of your family are hiding, they are hunting you. Remember, you are already isolated at crime scene B. No plan, no strategy, no tactics and no drills to prepare could be fatal. The world is ever changing and the UK follows trends that happen in the States. Home Invasion is more than a couple of crims stealing your TV set.

Out

Joe
    Michael W Wright
    Michael W Wright

Post by Michael W Wright Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:56 pm

Peter Skillen wrote:yes and just as you reach the bottem of those stairs BANG! blood and gunsmoke! Or a twelve inch blade slides into your heart, another child loses their father , a wife loses her husband and the world loses another good guy....

...and there you go - the victim mentality. That mindset where the bad guy is always more dangerous, more deadly, and always wins. If that's your belief system Peter then fine, but it's not mine mate, so each to their own.

And burglars aren't the only people who have weapons Cool
    Peter Skillen
    Peter Skillen

Post by Peter Skillen Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:36 pm

Not victim mentality at all...Its called commen sense.. Believe me if they come near that door they are getting ENDED full stop..As for being in crime scene b if you reread my post you will see it says SECURE ALTERNATE EXIT!
    as for my belief system I believe that if anybody on this planet came to that door they would be ended... Also the question was if i was in bed not if i was approached or attacked or threatend or etc etc etc.. different scenerios need different actions/reactions.
    If you go around beliving you are invincible you will surely meet a premiture end.....
    David never beat goliath by rushing him he used his brains and survived

If you rely on weapons what happens when they are made unavailible? (retorical question)
    Michael W Wright
    Michael W Wright

Post by Michael W Wright Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:37 pm

you're kind of all over the place there, I've lost track of your point of view, but whatever it is then its yours and that's cool.

Mine is mine, and I'm still here and healthy, so I'll stick with it.
    Peter Skillen
    Peter Skillen

Post by Peter Skillen Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:43 pm

My point of view is i am happy with my plan.

I am definetly not in any kind of victim state.

I value the people dear to me

I know when to fight and when to have patience.

peace and love my friend.

The most important thing is we both have a plan.
    D.Hughes
    D.Hughes
    Admin

Post by D.Hughes Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:50 pm

id just like to point out, this thread is a fine example of why this forum rocks.
    Peter, Micheal, you are both true gentlemen.
    this is how, in my opinion, arguments and disagreements on forums should go. thanks to both of you for helping to make this place what it is Very Happy
    Matt
    Matt

Post by Matt Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:39 am

Ditto that.

Living in a sleepy little place I had never really considered this topic and like everybody hope never to face it. I only ever get woken up by kids at that time but on a serious note as Peter says at least you both have a plan whereas, until now, I have not.

It is topics like this that are great and filled with really good, simple ideas (i.e. methods of communication and alternative exit strategies) that are priceless even to us beginners.

Thanks for taking the time to give opinions and respect each of those, however different they may be.
    Mick Tully
    Mick Tully

Post by Mick Tully Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:55 am

Have to agree with rick
    on other forums this would now have descended into personal attacks on sartorial elegance,personal hygiene & hairstyles etc!
    Seriously though some interesting points of view on this subject
    mick x

Post by Guest Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:47 am

I would call the cops instantly then wait upstairs, if they tried to get upstairs i would presmue they intended to harm me or my family. If they are prepared to risk coming upstairs i could only presume they are now prepared to take the risk of disturbing us, so in my mind they would be prepared to do us harm to shut us up and I would wack the first on as soon as he reached the top of the stairs.

Post by Guest Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:54 am

Slightly off topic but a valid little story, one of the guys from another forum i used to be on was woken up one night to find two scumbags standing over him with a kettle of freshly boiled water threatening to pour it over them unless they gave them the keys to his car....!
    What the fuck can you do about that? Just shows you how low some of these lowlifes would go.
    His kids were in the adjacent room by the way.
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

Post by Al Peasland Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:38 pm

Good posts guys.

Chris, the boiling water seems to be a theme amongst burglars - I've heard of a couple of occasions where people have returned to find their home ransacked and a pan of boiling water on the stove or the kettle still hot.

For me, I think you have nailed it (in my opinion)

Stay upstairs, stay with your loved ones if you have family with you.

Watch the close protection operatives at work and some parallels can be drawn.
    If the VIP comes under attack, his closest Bodyguard (BG) will always protect him first, get him out of harms way, provide body cover - the VIP is never left on his own whilst everyone runs off to fight the bad guys.

The closest BG will rely on his support system (other BG's or security forces) to deal with the threat more directly - if possible.

I guess the same applies ot me at home.

Unless I had absolutely no other choice I would stay upstairs with my family and get the Police out asap. As you said, if they come up stairs then they are definitely raising the risk level and I would then take action - nailing anyone as they come through that bedroom/bathroom door. The bonus there is you get the jump on them as they come into the room, you also get to deal with them one at a time at the doorway, rather than bumping into them in your living room downstairs.

It's never clean cut though and I also agree with the mind set of not being prepared to lose!
    There has to be no other option when you're about to enter into a conflict of any kind. There is only going to be one conclusion and that is me bashing the burglar - end of!

Great posts guys - thanks for this one Wink
    Joe Hubbard
    Joe Hubbard

Post by Joe Hubbard Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:28 pm

Personal note: keep kettle by bedside table full. I'm a light sleeper; if it works for the enemy, it'll work for us as well. I'm visualizing hearing them trying to get through my three dead bolts, then leaning out my window and pouring a fresh kettle full on the slime balls!

Out

Joe

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 5:23 pm