The Self Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Everything Self Defence

4 posters

second best

dennis_thompson
    dennis_thompson

second best Empty second best

Post by dennis_thompson Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:34 pm

Hi all,

opinions please Smile

I am strictly interested in self protection, something I can learn and drill quickly and effectively so that when I leave the house with the kids I can protect them against the minority of pond life out there!

The quandary I have is im really pushed for time at the moment, infact the next 4 years at least are pretty much tied up.

So should I go to one of a few traditional martial arts in the area within walking distance, im sure I could spare that much time even just once per week, or should I concentrate purely on hitting the bag in the garden as and when and focus more on the fence work, hitting hard etc as well as awareness which I do anyway.

What im getting at is will going to the local aikido/karate/taekwondo/etc club hinder me in reality terms or is it worth me getting along to any club just so I can train with others.

I have pre conceived ideas but would prefer the input of people that have been there done it and maybe learned the hard way.

To reiterate, im not interested in sport/belts or 'being hard'!

I want something effective on the streets but have nothing in my town that touches that (That I ama aware of and I have looked).

Many thanks in advance for your time,

regards,

Den
    R. Pepper

second best Empty Re: second best

Post by R. Pepper Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:46 pm

Hi Den,

If there is no "self-protection classes" near you then I'd go for some private instruction off someone who specializes in that area. Get them to sort you out with a few drills that you can practice at home. Then go back as often as your time permits.

No doubt hitting the H. bag is great, but extra instruction is always worth it imo. I've been training with Lee Morrison for quite a while now (as I'm sure you know Smile) and it has really payed off big time - in terms of my skills, self-protection, and knowledge base.

You can always go to local traditional classes, but they tend, well a lot of them, not to pay that much attention to the street. Or would take a more elongated process to get you there.

Just my 2 cents...

R.

PS - I've got some stuff coming for the other forum. cheers
    dennis_thompson
    dennis_thompson

Post by dennis_thompson Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:15 pm

Thanks Rob,

stupid question,

how do I find someone legit in my area that does private classes in self protection?

Anyway at a push I might be able to get back to Sunderland in September to train with the SDF, Martin Dougherty and Co.

Just need to get some massive monkeys off my back 1st.

cheers,

Den.

PS Look forward to your posts on the other forum mate.

Post by Guest Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:00 am

Hey Den

Well I think you know where I stand on this Issue,
    Having done a few of the traditional arts I found out the hard way that what I had been taught, or maybe the way it was taught was not effective on the street. Of course you can take whatever technique you like from traditional MA. and analyse, pressure test etc. but why? when others have done it and made it their lifetime study to teach it.

I agree with Rob on this one, anything which is traditional personally id go for boxing, or Judo if you must do an art. as it can be made to work on the street also. however seeking out someone in the self protection field would definately be the way to go on this. One hour from a top guy in the field is worth its weight in gold. id rather take a couple of quality hours with a guy with a proven track record than 6 months in a dojo.

If you dont have an idea of the guys credentials mate, make enquiries, calls, e-mails. ask around. if needs be, ask on here and see if anyone has heard of them. if they are as good as they are purported to be then who knows. but its well worth asking the question. just dont throw yourself into anything without the proper research.

Best of luck mate, and feel free to keep asking questions.

Craig
    cheers
    R. Pepper

Post by R. Pepper Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:25 am

Craig's right - if I was going to go with a "local art", Boxing or Muai Thai would be great, assuming you couldn't find a decent SP class (or even beter do both! Smile).

If you leave it with me I can email Lee, and see who's good up in your neck of the woods - where are you situated again?

Cheers,

R.
    dennis_thompson
    dennis_thompson

Post by dennis_thompson Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:28 am

Thanks craig Very Happy

Rob im in Nort east england, South Tyneside, town called South Shields,

if you can get a couple of names for me to get in touch with and work out something that fits both our schedules, great!

Cheers,

Den.
    kaarl
    kaarl

Post by kaarl Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:23 pm

Hi Dennis, if you’re strictly about self protection then I would stay away from anything you’re not going to need,

For example with boxing or Thai its gives you some great benefits, but you will also be taught lots of stuff you don't need

You can just "keep what you need and throw away what you don't"

But if you’re pretty sure you’re not going to use it why learn it in the first place

With say boxing it’s very complicated it takes a long time to learn, with rounds, sparing give and take, get broke up at close distance, gloves, and lots of habits you not going to need

It’s the same with lots of other martial arts were they are far too over complicated so you learn lots of things you’re never going to need
    I’m not having a go at any art of sport but it’s just the way I see it

I love the arts as well but you should have a clear line between,
    Reality and martial arts/sport

If you’re a puncher, train with a street puncher
    Same with the open hand

train at home as much as you can, you are the only person who can get you to the point you want to be at, it’s all about practice, practice, practice you get out of it what you put in, visualise every technique

Do seminars when you can, by some DVDs
    try to learn all the basic keys staying aware of your surrounding and switched on if any trouble is brewing if you can see it coming you can avoid it, this can be learned, whenever you’re out and about, you don’t need classes for this one

for the physical side concentrate on learning to hit the head as hard as you can from lots of angles on the move, with a healthy dose of violence and aggression and you won’t go far wrong

Privates lesson are a great thing there’s nothing like one on one
    And don’t hesitate to question everything and never blindly follow
    Self protection is a very personal thing everybody’s different you need to find what works for yourself and not what other people prefer

Hope this helps Very Happy

Karl
    AFinlayson

Post by AFinlayson Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:57 am

Hi Dennis,

just to throw my thoughts in the mix.

I echo a lot of what has just been said by the guys above. If there isn't a high quality instructor in your area, i'd keep it really simple.

1. buy some decent dvd's. there's a lot of rubbish out there however based on my own preference i'd go for. Bob Spour's SAS fight secrets, Any Senshido DVD and i'd also buy geoff thompson's book 'dead or alive'.
    2. if you don't have access to a gym buy a heavy punch bag and practice open palm strikes and elbow, keep it really simple and practice over and over.
    3. work out. be that bench press, squats, military presses. i find getting phyiscally stronger helps with confidence should the sh*t hit the fan. although psychology plays a fundamental part too. For me at least, i find the two are directly linked.

hope this helps and good luck.

Andy
    p.s. if you really want to attend a class pick something that is 'live' with direct contact and continuous movement such as boxing/wrestling/ judo. just make sure you're aware of it's limitations.
    dennis_thompson
    dennis_thompson

Post by dennis_thompson Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:16 pm

thanks Kaarl/Andy,

some really good feed back, again what I expected.

I have dead or alive and tons of dvds but theyre all different and figuring what works best for me is the key.

I find open palm strikes are good for me and throwing lots of them a the bag head height is probably my best start.

as to private instruction i have been stung by cowboys in the past so i will be wary and if it doesnt fit me, move on.

I will have a look for those dvd recommends cheers.

I feel the main reason i want to train with a person is:

1. to help overcome that initial adrenal rush which causes panic/freeze.
    2. Grappling. a klot has been said to me i must be able to wrestle on the deck or standing, hard to learn without partner I feel.

Thanks again guys,

regards,

Den.
    R. Pepper

Post by R. Pepper Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:06 pm

Hey Den,

How's things? I've asked Lee if he knows anyone up in your direction. I'll let you know when I hear back.

One thing I would say, and this is my personal opinion. If you want to be able to get over the whole "freeze thing", which is vitally important. I'd definitely go down the modern Combatives route. Those guys all spend a great deal of time covering fear and adrenaline with their students (or should anyway). Lee went through lots of material like that, and it really helped me out.

Just on grappling, it's a great tool to have, or as Geoff Thompson would say "support system". However, I never really spent much time on grappling with people. I prefer the term "anti-grappling". Using the concept to hurt the opponent if he tries, or even succeeded in grapple you. Thus avoiding a protracted fight, or contest of strength on the ground.

With the right kit, and a little bit of ingenuity you can give yourself a decent practice session even without a partner.

I know Lee is a fair distance form you, but if you went down once or twice and practiced what he gave you, you'd have something of real value. That's why I travel over to see him once a month form Dublin. I'd go more if I had the money. Smile

Cheers,

R.

PS - the Senshido vids are class if you get a chance to check them out.
    dennis_thompson
    dennis_thompson

Post by dennis_thompson Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:02 pm

Cheers Rob,

regards,

Den.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 11:32 pm