The Self Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Everything Self Defence

5 posters

MMA or seperate systems -judo-muay thai- bjj, etc

adamuk
    adamuk

MMA or seperate systems -judo-muay thai- bjj, etc Empty MMA or seperate systems -judo-muay thai- bjj, etc

Post by adamuk Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:17 pm

Back in the day MMA gyms were few and far between. But now with the development of the sport we are seeing more and more spring up.

Now what I was wondering was, what are members views on either training each art seperately still ......bjj, wrestling, judo, boxing, muay thai, kickboxing, etc or just training in a MMA GYM??

Have MMA progressed to such a level that they are more realistic and better to train in?

E.G. Thai round kick in MMA has been adapted so one doesn't spin around 360 degrees, showing/giving their opponent their back and a possible take down.

cheers,

Adam
    paul scothern
    paul scothern

MMA or seperate systems -judo-muay thai- bjj, etc Empty Re: MMA or seperate systems -judo-muay thai- bjj, etc

Post by paul scothern Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:25 pm

i think theoretically it's best to go seperate because you can go deeper into each but practically and because we all have lives outside this malarky just go to the mma club

cheers

paul
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

MMA or seperate systems -judo-muay thai- bjj, etc Empty Re: MMA or seperate systems -judo-muay thai- bjj, etc

Post by Al Peasland Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:34 pm

I guess it really depends what you want it for.
    Train MMA if you want MMA, train individual arts if you want everything each individual art has to offer.

I know that sounds like a cop out answer, but if you're looking for self defence/protection then you need to train in self defence/protection, and not MMA.

MMA still doesn't give you everything you need, although, I would admit that it, does give you a good grounding in each of the main ranges - all from one class instead of many.
    Just don't expect to get the same level in all ranges as you would in any individual one given the same amount of time and training - that goes without saying (so don't know why I did Laughing )

In addition, don't expect MMA to give you everything you need for outside, they are still very different arenas.

But yes, as Paul already said, given limited time and only one art to train in, MMA would be high on the list of arts which are going to give you a very good base for self protection (physical and a bit of mental toughness thrown in too) Wink
    D.Hughes
    D.Hughes
    Admin

Post by D.Hughes Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:20 pm

yerp, what Al and Paul said Very Happy
    Louis Thompson
    Louis Thompson

Post by Louis Thompson Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:15 pm

Hey!

My personall oppinion on this one is that training in the core arts e.g.thai, judo, boxing, bjj, will give you a full understanding of what each individual art has to offer! This means that if you want to fight MMA all you have to do is bring each one together and develop it to your needs!

There are definatly people out there that can teach MMA as an art but i think the risk is that you are getting a watered down version of the originall arts! If you spent a year full time in each core art you would be an amazing MMA fighter!

Again it depends what you want! If you want to be fairly good at alot of things i think the MMA side would be great!

If you want to excell in each and every aspect of MMA going to the core arts would be the best way forward!

Hope this helps,

Louis

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 1:19 pm