The Self Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Everything Self Defence

+2
paul scothern
dennis_thompson
6 posters

Pacifism

dennis_thompson
    dennis_thompson

Pacifism Empty Pacifism

Post by dennis_thompson Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:37 am

Does Pacifism lead to a less violent society, or does it lead to appeasement and hence to more violence?

Regards,

Den.
    paul scothern
    paul scothern

Pacifism Empty Re: Pacifism

Post by paul scothern Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:17 pm

it's awsome just as long as everyone joins in!
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

Post by Al Peasland Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:51 am

It depends what your idea of a pacifist and pacifism is.

If you take this definition;

Pacifist:
    Inclined or disposed to peace; not quarrelsome or unruly

Then I think it is a great thing. Someone who looks for a peaceful conclusion as a first port of call. Doesn't necessarily mean someone who will not fight should there be no other option.
    If we remove the option of fighting, then it forces us to look for other solutions. Kind of a restriction that will help us grow and find new ways.

However, the physical, just as war, is always there as a last resort, a back-up plan and something that even a pacifist (according to the above definition) would use if they had no other option.

So , I guess it depends on your definition of a pacifist. Wink
    R. Pepper

Post by R. Pepper Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:32 pm

Hi Al,

I like Tony Blauer's outlook on the subject.

I'm paraphrasing now as I can't remember his exact words. It's along the lines of him being, "a very capable pacifist" - just in case Smile
    Steve Rowe
    Steve Rowe

Post by Steve Rowe Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:20 pm

I always say that peace is earned, so pacifism is working to ensure a state of peace is maintained.

Take your eye off the ball or go weak and someone always lets the dogs of war out!
    Steve Tomkins
    Steve Tomkins

Post by Steve Tomkins Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:21 pm

Does Pacifism lead to a less violent society, or does it lead to appeasement and hence to more violence?

The answer, I suggest, would have to be either an empirical one based on historical circumstances: I don't know of any society in history where the majority of persons were pacifists, so there is no empirical evidence that pacifism would or indeed could lead to a less violent society, or appeasement & more violence.
    Or theoretically, if everybody was a pacifist in all societies, there would be no problem - but that, I would suggest, goes against what we know of a common human nature. If one society was total pacifists it would probably be subject to domination by other more aggresive ones.

Perhaps influential individuals who were/are pacifists like Ghandi or ML King have, for a time, created less violent societies. But those people are quite rare and often get imprisoned and/or assasinated. Someone said that the road to democracy (and therefore a sort of bargained for peace) has always been paved with blood.

I would suggest that pacifism will always remain the domain of a few individuals who use it to subvert the politics of the society that they live in; or hold those views due to religious inclinations

However. if we take it that pacifism means 'someone opposed to violence as a means of settling disputes' then up to a point many of us would probably consider ourselves a sort of pacifist.

Answers on a postcard please ......... Rolling Eyes
    Steve Tomkins
    Steve Tomkins

Post by Steve Tomkins Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:25 pm

HI Steve
    That's an intersting point: what do you mean by 'peace is earned?'

Steve
    Steve Rowe
    Steve Rowe

Post by Steve Rowe Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:32 pm

Peace is only maintained through strength, we need the capability to deal with violence and keep peace. I see MA's as the art of 'peacekeeping'.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 5:55 am