The Self Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Everything Self Defence

+5
Joe Hubbard
D.Hughes
Dharma Bum
Peter Skillen
Davey
9 posters

Back Pain?

Davey
    Davey

Back Pain? Empty Back Pain?

Post by Davey Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:39 am

Spoke to my old instructor yesturday and decided to go back, After tonights lesson I was exhausted
    and Riding back home my back started to stiffen up, got off my bike and started walking like I had somthing large inserted into my rectom lol

Had a car accident a couple of years ago and injured my back, every now and again I get a twinge and think S**t here we go.

Tonight I'm getting the same thing, so I'm sat here with a hot water bottle behind me Smile andtaking pain killers.

Does anyone have any good ideas for strenghening my back.

Still going to Al's on sunday tho, not letting a little thing like not walking properly stop me now Smile
    Peter Skillen
    Peter Skillen

Back Pain? Empty Re: Back Pain?

Post by Peter Skillen Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:49 am

First go to the docters, there is no use turning a small injury a large one.
    Training is suppossed to make us feel better. ok after a good session you will feel it but not to the point where you are suffering with constent pain. Get your back chcked out first i know al and mick wouldn't want you to further your injury for the sake of one session. By all means go to the session but if you are still in severe pain get it checked first before you join in anything strenious.
    Davey
    Davey

Post by Davey Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:11 pm

Cheers for the reply

Walking a touch better this morning and took 2 diclofenac hopefully after a hot bath later thing will start to settle more.

Was my own fault really, went back into that session last night like I never left, its been years since I last went.

I got to brown last time but he's starting me back on purple, better than starting from scratch, funny how the techniques stay with ya but reactions and movements are slower.
    Peter Skillen
    Peter Skillen

Post by Peter Skillen Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:34 pm

consistency is the key.
    Dharma Bum
    Dharma Bum

Post by Dharma Bum Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:09 pm

How's things Davey

when you had the crash did you have any treatments? did you have an MRI scan? if so what was the doctors prognosis?
    D.Hughes
    D.Hughes
    Admin

Post by D.Hughes Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:14 pm

as everyone else said, go to the docs first, find out what the prob is etc.
    then id say go talk to Bob and see what he can do for you on the mental side of things to deal with it.
    Davey
    Davey

Post by Davey Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:12 pm

Hi....

Nah I never had MRI, I was in Clinical decisions for 24hrs, put me on stick and gave me Tramadol,and diazepam kind of zombified me a bit, so think they must of been strong lol..

What they found was that one of my discs was bulging or something like that, this went on to cause like kind of electric shock feelings down back of my right leg which the Doc called Scatica. dont get the pains in my leg so much now, just the annoying Lower back pain.

These shock feelings were wierd, normal pain and aches you can push passed the barrier, but when you get the shock you stop what ever your doing, freeze and think S**T!!!!

I spose it was my own fault cos if I keep active things would probably be ok, having a sit down job dont help either.(thats my excuse) Smile
    Dharma Bum
    Dharma Bum

Post by Dharma Bum Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:16 pm

As you said yourself you jumped in fairly quick at the deep end ... we are all guilty of that coming back after injury
    a suggested warm up for yourself might be the asthanga yoga sequence geared towards stretching and strengthening all the muscles leading into the pelvis ... they are called the sun salutations A and B ... probably take you 10 to 15 minutes maximum ... great before a workout plus not too much strain ... you'll get a cheap enough book on it in any good book shop
    ... i swear by it
    if your feeling a bit more confident then move onto some basic powerlifting excercises ... like deadlift, clean & jerk and squats ... great for your core stability and strength
    if you don't feel arsed buying a book you can check out how to do all these on Videojug ... a great website to learn how to do just about anything

and if you know all this stuff then forgive my intrusion
    ... and good luck with the training and getting your next belt
    Davey
    Davey

Post by Davey Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:29 pm

Great stuff....Cheers for that

over to ebay for the Astanga Dvd Smile

DVD on its way.....................
    Joe Hubbard
    Joe Hubbard

Post by Joe Hubbard Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:49 am

You want cold on that back, not heat!

Out

Joe
    Davey
    Davey

Post by Davey Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:44 pm

Yer will Try Cold, bag of frozen peas should do it Smile
    Millerb

Back Pain? Empty Back Pain

Post by Millerb Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:09 pm

I had some great advice from a sport physio with regards to my sciatica. It works for me. I had a car accident in my teens and suffered ever since with the back. Try this. Every day fro 15 mins lie face down with a pillow or 2 under your hips until you feel no pain. Gradually remove the pillows one by one. This reverses the curve in your spine removing the pressure away from the nerve. It can in some case cure the problem. You need to do this daily or as often as you can. At first your back may stiffen up but it will not do you any harm so give it a go. I don't get so much pain now. Although suffer occasionally with numbness in my right foot but it is a damn sight better than the pain.
    Dan K

Post by Dan K Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:59 pm

I suffer from bouts of sciatic pain from time to time with nerve pain shooting down the legs. Try hanging from a chinup bar, and hanging knee raises.
    Also reverse hyperextensions. I don't have a reverse hyper bench, I just let my legs hang off the standard version. I also do stretches and go to the chiropractor. When I stay on a monthly maintenance schedule I have no problems but my insurance only covers so much so I quit going for almost two years without problems, but now I am back with discomfort and right now weekly visits to the chiropractor. And ice and ibuprofin.
    Horioni
    Horioni

Post by Horioni Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:35 pm

Hows the form?

I got banjoed 3 weeks ago while we were doing abit of training. Ended up with 12 stones coming down on my neck and hitting the door with the back off my head didn't help Rolling Eyes Anyway i woke the next morning and couldnt move the neck to the right at all... it losened up after 2 days, got some physio but now an old shoulder injury is gone warp facter 10 on me, along with biceop and last 3 fingers on same side are numb!

A Trapped nerve? Any ideas...
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

Post by Al Peasland Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:46 pm

Hi Horioni.

I'm no Doctor but does sound like a trapped nerve to me.
    A chiropractor may be able to help this one a little quicker with some manipulation.

I have two vertebrae fused together (C4 and C5) - fairly high up my back. Every so often this will cause a pinching of a nerve that causes an intense aching all the way down my right forearm and into my index finger. A few sessions with the chiropractor and it's as good as new.

What I have found though is that the longer I leave it the more sessions I need to free it up - as if the nerve needs more time to repair or something.

So yeah, in my amateur opinion, I'd get down the chiro's for a spot of re-alignment! ;-)

Good luck with it mate - it can be a real pain in the neck (sorry - couldn't resist) Laughing
    Horioni
    Horioni

Post by Horioni Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:50 pm

Nice one Al, will check one out this week!

I want to be in working condition to get over to the New Breed Seminar next month!

Peace

Dave
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

Post by Al Peasland Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:57 pm

No probs at all.

Hope the back pain eases mate - a good chiro will be able to sort it pretty quickly if it is just a trapped nerve.

Look forward to seeing you next month mate

Take care

Al

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 3:28 pm