The Self Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Everything Self Defence

5 posters

Details on the internet

John

Details on the internet Empty Details on the internet

Post by John Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:47 pm

Hello.
    My introduction has popped up on the google search engine, no I wasnt looking myself up Cool .
    Without going into too much detail but through my work in the UK as a Police Officer I upset one or two people and Im keen for them not to know anything about me. Its nothing dangerous but been a paronoid chap I would feel better if it wasnt shown. Is there a way of preventing it been shown on the web?

Regards.
    John Keerie
    Peter Skillen
    Peter Skillen

Details on the internet Empty Re: Details on the internet

Post by Peter Skillen Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:00 am

Ill get craig and rick to take a look.
    Davey
    Davey

Post by Davey Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:51 am

I'f your concerned you could always delete your post and maybe do one a little less informative.
    D.Hughes
    D.Hughes
    Admin

Post by D.Hughes Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:58 am

the only thing you could do would be to change you username to an alias. PM me with you chosen identity and i shall change it ASAP (which will be tomoro afternoon now)
    afraid thats the best i can do for you mate.
    i would also advise signing your posts as simply 'John' or 'John K' from now on also, just to make sure that isnt picked up as well.

hope that helps.

on a side note, please be aware that if i change your username, that will be your new username to log in with also.
    drgndrew
    drgndrew

Post by drgndrew Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:01 am

John K wrote:Hello.
    My introduction has popped up on the google search engine, no I wasn't looking myself up Cool .
    I do that all the time, apparently I'm also a successful abstract artist.

I'd recommend you simply drop your surname and just use an initial (John K), John is common enough that there are bound to be a considerable number of John k's on the net.

I use My full name in my signature, and drgndrew is my Internet ID, (more people probably know me by the later) but I also promote myself as an instructor So the info is publicly available anyway and I'm careful what I actually post particularly about specifics.

being identified on the web isn't the bad thing, have information about you (addresses, etc ) are the big things. it comes down to personal situations.

My details on the web are less dangerous to me then Johns details on the web are for him. ( although there are probably a few things i wouldn't want know to the public, but I simply don't mention them, just like i wouldn't talk about it in public)

Internet safety , like self protection , is a personal thing and should be examined on a individual basis. being identified by name is less dangerous then being located.

Post by Guest Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:37 pm

Hey John

I echo what Rick has said, unfortunately there is not a lot we can do about this, due to the bots that are used on this site to promote it, through google etc. so most times you will pick up information be it posts, or introductions on certain sites.

Unfortunately there is no way to stop this happening, apart from what has already been suggested. drop Rick or myself a pm and we can change the details on your user name for you, if you wish.

Craig

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:04 pm