The Self Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Everything Self Defence

+2
Steve Rowe
Davey
6 posters

eye to eye?

Davey
    Davey

eye to eye? Empty eye to eye?

Post by Davey Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:42 pm

Hi Everyone.

I've developed a bad habit of looking at the chest of my opponent when training, I dont know why but I feel a little uncomfortable training eye to eye.

Where do you look when you train with a partner in sparring and even pad work?

might be a confidence thing, let me know your thoughts guys.

cheers
    Dave
    Steve Rowe
    Steve Rowe

eye to eye? Empty Re: eye to eye?

Post by Steve Rowe Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:19 pm

One of my instructors advocated looking at the chest as that betrayed the true movement of the body.

I use an unfocused gaze unless I'm intimidating someone.
    Dave Turton

Post by Dave Turton Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:32 pm

TWO SUGGESTIONS

one ... imagine a triangle similar to a coat hanger shape .. with the top of the triangle about '3rd eye' level and the bottom line of the triangle level with the clavicles along the shoulders.. these areas indicate all bodily movements and studying them can give you an advantage

two .. look at what your hitting & hit at what you looking

Post by Guest Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:14 pm

If its pad work I am doing
    My focus is on the target I am going to strike, eye to eye contact some people do find a little awkward but as dave says The triangle is a good method and I do use it when training.

but also, keep an eye on your target when you are training pads etc. no good trying to hit what you are not looking at, just relax into the training and whether its with someone you dont know or have known for a long time, enjoy it and get comfortable pairing off with different people and try out different methods. but the two mentioned above work a treat.

Craig
    Davey
    Davey

Post by Davey Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:56 am

Thanks guys

Will try the triangle, maybe I wont get smacked in the face so much when sparring hehe Smile
    Jonny Figgis
    Jonny Figgis

Post by Jonny Figgis Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:40 pm

I would usually use an unfocused gaze (like Steve Rowe suggested)'looking' at the chin area. This gives me a better idea of when they are about to move (shoulder movement etc) and I can also see foot movement to some degree. One important point is to look at the target you are going to strike ie. if I'm going to hit someone on the jaw, I will glance at it first...not stare, just a glance.

Hope that helps a bit.
    Mick Tully
    Mick Tully

Post by Mick Tully Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:59 pm

Hi Davey,
    when sparring i tend to focus on the chest area as it gives me a good indication of movement/intent
    If it was in a self defence scenario i focus on the fact i'm gonna get out in one piece!
    take care
    mick x
    maija
    maija

Post by maija Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:12 pm

Eye to eye contact can be used to intimidate someone but the soft gaze, neck, chest focus gives you more field of vision and perception of motion.
    In the Eskrima I practice, you can't physically see the weapon tip cos it moves so fast, and getting hypnotized by a flashing metal blade is also bad. OTOH you can't just focus on the eyes or you won't be able to keep track of the weapon at all. Chest area is the best default focus.
    However, because tactics become so much more important when sparring with swords (more of a dueling scenario) the eyes are used alot more to fake out and 'sell' strikes, distract attention and freeze the opponent, so the eyes end up looking at, around, through and behind the opponent.
    Seems like one should practice all the options available and use all the 'tools in the bag' as it were.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 6:26 pm