The Self Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Everything Self Defence

+8
Abnett
Mick Tully
moldeeside
Richard
esther
Stuart Rider
Al Peasland
Marc1978
12 posters

G T's Latest Podcast

Marc1978

G T's Latest Podcast Empty G T's Latest Podcast

Post by Marc1978 Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:49 pm

Anyone had the chance to listen to Geoff Thompson's latest podcast?

Marc Comp
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

G T's Latest Podcast Empty Re: G T's Latest Podcast

Post by Al Peasland Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:04 pm

Yeah

Not enough mentions of me though - very dissappointed Very Happy
    Marc1978

Post by Marc1978 Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:35 pm

Don't worry Al i'm sure if you post Geoff some tea cakes you will be mentioned in due course!

I thought the part where Geoff discussed the unnamed person who seem's to be making quite a tidy profit by downloading Geoff's DVD's and charging people was quite shocking,and listening to the tone of Geoff's voice he seemed more upset than angry.What surprised me even more was when Geoff said this guy has even attended the masterclass!!

Marc Shocked
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

Post by Al Peasland Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:13 pm

Yeah. It's a shame. Geoff wasn't the only guy it had happened to. I was also on the receiving end, as were alot of far more experienced martial artists than me.
    In a way, I was rather flattered someone thought my work suitable enough to be passed around alongside these other greats Laughing

All affected know who it was and it's something that has been dealt with personally. That's probably as much as I'll say about it to be honest as it's not really something to be discussed on forums, apart from saying.

I don't think it was deliberately malicious but I do think it was very misguided and the guy(s) concerned will have alot of thinking to do now as to how they make things right.

I hope they can both recover from it and move on. We ALL make mistakes and I am certainly in no position to judge, even when I am directly affected.
    There's been alot of good to come out of this, even though alot may not see it yet.

I'm sure a wiser man than me has said before. It's not about never making a mistake, it's how you handle it and how you put things right thats important.

It's interesting because, it's not until these things hit a little closer to home that you realise just how offensive this kind of thing is. The internet is rife with DVD's, books, software, movies, that can all be downloaded for free - copied or pirated, etc etc.
    And it's often just accepted that this thing happens. But in my case as with all of the other instructors. When you work hard for many months to put together a quality DVD or even more, spend countless hours writing books. You literally put your sole into the product and then offer it up for everyone to critique. To then have this effort trampled by those who wish to steal it for free - it does hurt a little.
    Anyone who's written a book, regardless of the subject matter will know how personal it is to them. The least people can do is respect the effort gone into it.

Anyway - my rant is over.
    This issue is in the past as far as I am concerned and we can all move one a little wiser as a result.

I'm off to buy more tea cakes, I have publicity and profile to increase and I think tea cakes may be the currency Laughing

Take care mate

Al x
    Stuart Rider
    Stuart Rider

Post by Stuart Rider Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:00 pm

Al, i like teacakes and apple turnovers are a real favourite Laughing
    Hope the move went well.

Stuart
    esther
    esther

Post by esther Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:04 pm

Actually Al, i quite like teacakes.Even better would be the apple turnovers with custard!!! lol! lol!
    Richard

G T's Latest Podcast Empty Teacakes

Post by Richard Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:12 pm

Typical Al - you think that Geoff is the only one on that podcast who can be bought for cheap publicity of your good self.

Well your wrong.

I'm open to bribes as well!!!!
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

Post by Al Peasland Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:36 pm

If you're the Richard I'm thinking of, haven't you already had your bribe off me, in the form of the most amazing Chocolate Cake - complete with Clotted Cream???

Razz

House move went well thanks Stuart. I'm working on your interview right now - I do hope this is a bumper edition of Combat as I fear I am going into waffle mode and it could end up being a novel if I'm not careful bounce

Oh and Richard, how come I don't see a link to www.CompleteSelfProtection.com on the GT Website??

I am off to find a late night tea cake shop and see if that helps smooth the wheels of website networking

Al x
    moldeeside

Post by moldeeside Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:28 pm

I got half a story from the people involved and wondered why there`d been such a fuss, I`ve now learned that you should wait until you`ve heard all sides. i certainly wasnt told that money was being made.
    No wonder the parties who`d been ripped off were so aggrieved about it all, when your passion is also putting your bread and butter on the table it gets a bit more serious.

Onward and upward.

And teacakes are good currency anywhere, they beat ferrero rocher any day of the week.

take care, hope everyone is having a good weekend

Mol
    Mick Tully
    Mick Tully

Post by Mick Tully Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:30 pm

you are really spoiling me with your confectionary based payments guys....choc gold coin anyone?
    mick x
    Abnett
    Abnett

Post by Abnett Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:58 am

The issue of these torrent sites is monitored nowadays, however there's that many out there it's not possible (yet) to detect them all. During my IT degree we had to study and follow the rise and fall of torrent sites. As Al said it's unfortunate this goes on but there are ways to stop them, it just takes alot of time unfortunately - the latest victim for anyone interested was piratebay - the owners are currently fighting a court battle (18 months and still ongoing). These sites us loop-holes in the laws that govern copyright and exploit them. What people don't realise is how many viruses, worms, trojans etc are spread this way via encryption etc. I've spoken to the guy(s) involved and no mention of monitory exchange has been mentioned and to be honest i would be very surprised if there was in this case. At the end of the day we're human, make mistakes and as Al rightly pointed out, it's how you handle the mistake and make it right that matters. I've no doubt those concerned have learnt from this and will endeavor to correct the error. Very Happy

Back to the point of the thread though - great podcast from GT and may we hear many more! Very Happy
    Steve Rowe
    Steve Rowe

Post by Steve Rowe Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:03 pm

I think that if something was a mistake and not intended to cause harm a little compassion and forgiveness would be in order.
    moldeeside

Post by moldeeside Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:09 am

I second that steve, if it wasnt to make money and was a genuine cock up then hopefully the parties involved will be back on here soon.
    kaarl
    kaarl

Post by kaarl Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:50 am

Hey, everyone makes mistakes once in a while,ill third that steve im sure lessons have been learnt.
    Jazzgoat
    Jazzgoat

Post by Jazzgoat Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:40 pm

Don't worry Alan, you get mentioned in the new podcast 'Mice Leading a Camel' so they have made up for it. A bit shorter this week as Geoff was on a Morrison's run.

I'd like to hear Richard do his Newcastle accent again, "you've never had peas-puddin'?!!!"

Jazz.
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

Post by Al Peasland Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:37 pm

Yeah - great podcast this week.

I spent about half an hour on the phone with Richard before he called Geoff Laughing

I think more cake is in order now - but then again, with all the running Rich is doing, I may have to buy him some new trainers instead Wink

Al
    Nick Engelen

Post by Nick Engelen Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:13 pm

I still have no idea what a teacake looks like. I searched all birmingham airport and entire Coventry citycentre after them. I found the chocolate things but it seems they were the wrong teacake.

Kind Regards,

Nick Engelen
    Jazzgoat
    Jazzgoat

Post by Jazzgoat Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:30 pm

I believe 'the teacake' looks pretty much like a hotcross bun, but not heated. You could always google hotcross bun but with the internet you might get some interesting references, with people who like there buns buttered Mr.Thompson.

Jazzgoat.

ps. I'm off to your homeland soon Nick, you must teach me about some recommended Bruges Dishes!
    Nick Engelen

Post by Nick Engelen Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:41 pm

Hi Jazzgoat,

I live on the other side of the country so I am not sure what dishes are served in Bruge. Waffles are good and you might like mossles as well.

Kind Regards,

Nick Engelen

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 5:48 am