The Self Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Everything Self Defence

+4
Steve Rowe
Les Turpin
Alkenger
Al Peasland
8 posters

Is Self Protection Training - Selfish?

Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

Is Self Protection Training - Selfish? Empty Is Self Protection Training - Selfish?

Post by Al Peasland Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:52 pm

Is Self Protection Selfish?

I was challenged recently to the thought that self protection is a selfish act.

The argument was that spending all of the time pursuing a "hobby" was selfish and took up alot of time, to the point where it becomes a lifestyle that is then imposed on those around me.

They also went on that the need to go and imporve your own performance and pit yourself against others to test how good you are, is a selfish and possibly egoistical act.

So I thought I'd share those two comments with you and see what your views are.

Personally, I have the following bullet point thoughts

Training in self protection so that I can better protect myself IS a selfish act - the personal desire to want to be more capable and able to keep myself physically and mentally healthy and safe.

Training in self protection so that I can defend and protect my loved ones, friends and people around me is self-less, although the personal gratification I would get from being in a position to help others could again be seen as selfish

Training to be better than others is a competitve act and not selfish, training to better yourself is selfish

Selfish acts are only selfish if you are the only one to benefit, training in self protection should benefit everyone in your world

For sure, I agree that alot of us will spend alot of time tucked away in dojo's and gyms but surely that's better than propping up a bar training your pint lifting arm.

So what do you think?

Are the reasons you train born from a selfish attitude or a selfless one - or somewhere in between?

Al x
    Alkenger
    Alkenger

Is Self Protection Training - Selfish? Empty Re: Is Self Protection Training - Selfish?

Post by Alkenger Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:53 pm

Personaly I feel that it is primarly down to the individual & how they choose to interact with the world.

As much as I like my training & anything to do with combat even I must aknowlege that there can be selfish aspects to it. For example if someone trains purely just to be beter that everyone else & show off about it, then that's selfish. Where as is if one aknowleges that he or she does not only train for themselves but also the general peace of the world then that is not selfish.

Sorry if this seems like a rushed post & sound a bit super heroish, but I'm in an internet cafe & only just found this topic & thought it would be a good debate to join.
    Les Turpin
    Les Turpin

Is Self Protection Training - Selfish? Empty Re: Is Self Protection Training - Selfish?

Post by Les Turpin Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:11 pm

reading all your points i have to say yes it is selfish..

but selfish on the surface, its the underlying benefits and gains that make it worthwhile, although they may not be the reasons we are training initially.

i didnt start training years ago for anybody else but me, its only through the years priorities have changed for me, but, i still want to keep doing it

very deep mate
    Steve Rowe
    Steve Rowe

Post by Steve Rowe Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:53 am

Any act including altruism can be called selfish. People that do kind acts because they want to feel good or go to heaven could be classes as selfish.

The point is that life is there to be fully engaged and if what we do keeps or re-establishes peace and makes us happy, we're likely to spread that happiness. We're all made to do different things and live in different ways, developing patience, tolerance, kindness and compassion through our training goes a long way to making the world a better place to live in!

Training is a better option than going to the pub, being unhealthy and getting into trouble.
    Dave Turton

Post by Dave Turton Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:54 am

all training is 'selfish' .. you are doing it for the SELF after all
    if your training partners know what you are doing and are happy to train with you.. whats the problem
    jimmyfatwing
    jimmyfatwing

Post by jimmyfatwing Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:07 am

I'd say most hobbies are selfish in some way...but self protection is a little like an insurance policy you never hope to use (like the one for your car, mortgage protection etc). Only with this it keeps you fit, lets you travel to far off distant places (like up north Wink), gains you some great friends and in some cases even a partner! Not bad for a selfish hobby hey!
    Abnett
    Abnett

Post by Abnett Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:18 pm

I agree with everyone so far, yes it's selfish as hobbies tend to be but the benefits that can arise from this (safety and protection of others as well as yourself) make it self-less. It takes time and effort but like a job, the lifestyle around it can be adapted to have minimal implications on others as it's a routine you get used to.

Very good questions there Al! clap
    keith
    keith

Post by keith Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:03 am

I think it boils down to what your reason for training is. but I think the way al put it across was spot on

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 9:26 am