The Self Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Everything Self Defence

4 posters

Red Mist

Marc1978

Red Mist Empty Red Mist

Post by Marc1978 Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:11 pm

After reading Red Mist by GT when it first came out Geoff stated that it was a combination of fact and fiction and was up to the reader to decide which was which in regard to the events featured in the novel.Did anyone who read the book manage to work out which events really happened?

Marc Question
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

Red Mist Empty Re: Red Mist

Post by Al Peasland Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:17 pm

I could probably explain most but it's not really my place to do so Wink
    Marc1978

Post by Marc1978 Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:47 pm

Oh come on Mr Peasland don't be such a tease!,i'm sure Geoff won't mind!!

Marc Sad
    Peter Skillen
    Peter Skillen

Post by Peter Skillen Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:34 pm

I think a lot of geoffs recent work like his shirt film's will answer these questions. Authors and screen writers always encourage to draw on life's real experiences when writing fiction.
    Marc1978

Post by Marc1978 Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:48 pm

Oh well,i suppose i'll have to draw my own conclusions in regard to Red Mist-it's a shame because in my hand right now i've got 2 golden celebrity VIP tickets to give away with unlimited access to one of the best comedy clubs in london.

Marc Laughing
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

Post by Al Peasland Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:08 pm

Laughing
    Nice try Marc, but I cannot be bought lol!

To be honest - it's been a long time since I read the book so can't remember precise stories or events portrayed within the book.

What I can say is that it was Geoff's first attempt at a fiction book, but as Peter said, I'm sure most writers will use past experiences or real life events known to them, to help provide inspiration for their fictional stories.

Some have said alot of Geoff's work has been a re-hash of the same thing over and over again - but I think that is because he's allowed every step of his evolution as a writer and now script and play writer to be aired for all to see in his books and products along the way.

So, the short film bouncer was based loosely on his watch my back biography, with some other stuff thrown in
    (I'd like to claim a little inspiration here because I think he used an incident I had to help provide the basis for the final fight scene where Ray deals with the guy who's just beaten up his fellow doorman)

Red Mist was his move into Fiction and also his move into telling a story rather than re-counting events. And also helped move him further along the path of bringing Watch My Back to life in Clubbed - which again, has had some scenes based on real life - some a little more on fiction, some have been changed in chronological order because they fitted the story better, etc etc

So, I think it's nice to leave it up to the reader to decide what was real and what was fiction - it all adds to the enjoyment of the book I think - we all create our own story whenever we read a book Wink

So, is there anyone good playing on the night you have tickets Question
    Marc1978

Post by Marc1978 Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:56 pm

''so,is there anyone good playing on the night you have tickets Question ''

As GT said in his book 'On The Door',

''Somethings are better left unsaid!!'' Laughing

Marc Wink
    Peter Skillen
    Peter Skillen

Post by Peter Skillen Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:23 pm

marc why not email geoff and ask him to address it in his next podcast...straight from the horses mouth..
    Marc1978

Post by Marc1978 Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:03 pm

Good idea Peter,i'm sure there are also plenty of GT fans who have also been pondering the same question for sometime regarding Red Mist.

Marc Question
    JonyLeaber

Post by JonyLeaber Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:08 pm

based loosely on his watch my back biography, with some other stuff thrown in
    (I'd like to claim a little inspiration here because I think he used an incident

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:53 pm