The Self Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Everything Self Defence

+5
Peter Skillen
Luke Mannion
Nick Engelen
Al Peasland
Marc1978
9 posters

Giving To Charities

Marc1978

Giving To Charities Empty Giving To Charities

Post by Marc1978 Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:07 am

What are forum members opinions on giving donations to charities in todays current economical climate?,for example Cancer Research,British Heart Foundiation etc do an exceptional job in promoting their organisations but should they be given more funding from the government? Also how important is it to have a 'positive role model' promoting his or her charity? As a perfect recent example i was very tempted to give a donation to http://www.justgiving.com/brian-sheeran/ but then saw who their 'role model' was and quickly terminated my donation!!

Marc Laughing
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

Giving To Charities Empty Re: Giving To Charities

Post by Al Peasland Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:05 am

Certainly, the government should do more - but I guess there is only so much money to go around.

I'm all in favour of donating to charity and I think sites like justgiving is a great way as I think most of the money is definitely going to end up where it should - rather than giving to collectors in the street.

Not sure of the law but I think I read somewhere that, if you are a tin rattler in the street you only have to give a small percentage of the money you take in order for it to be a legal charity collection - I could be wrong however.

In all honesty - the challenge you linked to looks like a toughie, and the cause is very worthy.

At the end of the day - we never know when we might need those charitable organisations to come to our own aid!

Wink

As a wise friend once told me
    "Never fall out with your family - you never know when you might need a kidney" bounce

Sorry - tasteless joke alert!!!! erm
    Nick Engelen

Post by Nick Engelen Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:51 pm

I think because of the economical climate people should give to causes. You can place more responisiblity to the government but as we live in democratic countries those government people are representing us the population. If the governments had to do it they would put in taxmoney anyway. Help the people you've elected to do their job well.

About rolemodels, people wear different hats in different scenarios. Just because in one scenario a nasty side comes to surface doesn't mean the person is nasty all the time. Besides the cause is good so I think People should put the disagreements aside for a minute.

Respect for Brian (and his colleagues) for doing a run like that knowing he isn't the youngest guy around.

Kind Regards,

Nick Engelen
    Luke Mannion
    Luke Mannion

Post by Luke Mannion Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:01 am

Marc1978 wrote: As a perfect recent example i was very tempted to give a donation to http://www.justgiving.com/brian-sheeran/ but then saw who their 'role model' was and quickly terminated my donation!!

Marc Laughing

What the hell does it matter who's raising the money, whether you like the guy or not he's doing a really difficult challenge to raise money to support guys who fight for this country, while we sit on our arses and watch the war on tv, myself included.

For once I think the guy should be applauded, and you should definately put your hand in your pocket Marc and perhaps give it ago yourself before you say anything else that could adversley affect raising money for such a good cause.
    Marc1978

Post by Marc1978 Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:13 am

Luke,

I'm sure that my opinion will in no way influence other people's views as everyone makes their own choices in life.The reason i feel the way i do is because the guy has a proven track record in being disrespectful and rude to many many forum members and also high level ranking martial artists,and by behaving in the way he does towards people he does himself no favours.All charities need support especially in todays society,but it's up to the individual to decide for themselves the best way to give.

Marc
    Peter Skillen
    Peter Skillen

Post by Peter Skillen Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:33 am

A GREAT CAUSE ,GOOD LUCK AND WELL DONE TO THE ORGANISERS FOR PUTTING IN THERE TIME AND EFFORTS TO RAISE THE MONEY.
    Luke Mannion
    Luke Mannion

Post by Luke Mannion Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:49 pm

I'm well aware who Brian is, i don't agree with alot of what he writes or the way he writes it. But this is only the internet, in 10 yrs time probably neither forum will still be around, but the lads who have lost limbs will still be missing them.

I won't knock a guy who doing something worthwhile and bloody difficult, just cause i don't share his views. All credit to him for putting himself in that arena, i found the p coy 10 miler bloody hard at 18 yrs old after 6 months build up.
    moldeeside

Post by moldeeside Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:10 pm

some charities have been exposed in the past for p*ssing money away on admin and various forms of entertainment for their managers, but I think if you give what you can without going mad then at least you`re trying.
    The government could certainly do more with our money if they were a bit more choosy about where it went but thats another debate.

Anyone trying to help our servicemen and women should be applauded, whether he`s a wind up merchant from another forum or not.
    kaarl
    kaarl

Post by kaarl Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:48 pm

Anyone trying to help our servicemen and women should be applauded, whether he`s a wind up merchant from another forum or not

i totally agree mol.....even if he does look like a fine up standing citizen Shocked

only joking, well done Brian and your colleagues
    Mick Tully
    Mick Tully

Post by Mick Tully Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:30 am

Hey guys,
    Sorry for the late reply, but just back in the UK after 9 days away.
    Any charitable endevour is commendable in my eyes,especially anything to help
    Supporting our troops!
    Fair play to Brian Sheeran and his colleagues for attempting this,and I hope they
    Finish in their desired times. I had some limited correspondence with Brian and even though we have differing views on the role of MA/SD in our lives, I found him to be gracious and courteous.....on the matter of giving to charity, whether it be voluntary or at the behest of a "chugger" on the street.....well that's. Up to the individual.
    Mick x
    Marc1978

Post by Marc1978 Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:00 pm

As i write this the time is 10.45am on 15/8/09

I aggree Mick,as a conclusion-if some forum members feel so strongly that Brian should be 'applauded' and 'commended',then why out of the seven forum members so far who have taken the time to post a reply to this thread has there only been one who has sponsored him?

Marc
    Luke Mannion
    Luke Mannion

Post by Luke Mannion Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:37 pm

Hi Marc, not really sure what your trying to achieve with this thread or your recent post, nor do I understand why you'd want to derail a fund raising event for a good cause, a f*@king good cause infact. Whether you think the guy is a knob for the remaining 364 days of the year, he's clearly doing something good for that day.

Mind you at the very least you've brought this event to more peoples attention, and as you state one member has sponsored him, so well done for that anyway.
    Les Turpin
    Les Turpin

Post by Les Turpin Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:55 am

i have met Brian a couple of times, hes a nice bloke, he has his views on stuff that i might not agree with, he has said stuff i do agree with, but thats what makes us all human...

i have the utmost respect for him and the cause he is raising money for, our guys are out there to protect the innocent and stop it getting worse....

i wont donate because i give to great ormand street every month which is my chosen charity. and i dont need to donate to the guy because i am on this thread and i am fucking skint, for fucks sake..

if all you can do is slag the guy off then go on his forum and do it....
    Marc1978

Post by Marc1978 Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:52 am

Reply for Luke and Les,

If you feel so fired up regarding this discussion why have you chosen not to sponsor him?
    If you feel so strongly in defence of Brian then why not donate to his fundraising?,to me it's as clear as day.If anyone feels that much intent towards a person or charity then they donate.
    IF YOU FEEL SO STRONGLY REGARDING THIS DISCUSSION THEN WHY HAVE YOU NOT DONATED? you could even donate a one pound coin if you wanted to,AND WHY HAS NO ONE ELSE DONATED EXCEPT ONE PERSON?? IT'S A SIMPLE QUESTION SURELY?

Marc
    Peter Skillen
    Peter Skillen

Post by Peter Skillen Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:55 am

Ok marc this thread is getting out of hand, personal attacks our not the thing here...What brian is as a person in anyones personal opinion has no bearing on what he is doing for that charity. I will not let this forum slide into the depths of the negative. I and other people on this forum and in life give to different charities why they give and what they give and to whom they give is of no one else's concern only theirs...this thread is being locked and will not allowed to be re-opened as another thread it ends here...stay positive and supportive please...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:58 am