The Self Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Everything Self Defence

+5
R. Pepper
Al Peasland
Disco Fingers
9 posters

Powerslap....

Disco Fingers
    Disco Fingers

Powerslap.... Empty Powerslap....

Post by Disco Fingers Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:17 pm

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/664775/

One looked like it hurt, the second switched his computer off.

Powerslap.... Empty Re: Powerslap....

Post by Guest Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:39 pm

The open hand is a fantastic tool for a K.O
    Loads of examples on it on the net itself, just depends on who you are
    watching to demonstrate it.

Craig
    Very Happy
    Disco Fingers
    Disco Fingers

Post by Disco Fingers Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:49 pm

Interestingly though, when I have discussed this with non-combatives guys, they tend to be very sceptical that an open hand blow can actually deliver the intended result.

Post by Guest Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:03 pm

Hey Disco

There is one man on here to ask without a doubt,
    Ask Bob, he uses and has used open hand techniques, it works and works well.

In a nut shell there a number of reasons for a KO, so without listing them all here we will assume for this thread that everyone knows them. if not just ask. and im sure we can oblige.

But normally for the KO in western boxing for example a d KO blow is dealt mostly on the chin. now to hit this area in a real situation when your adrenalin is going nuts, tunnel vision, shakes, sweating, cant think straight, adrenal deafness etc etc. as you can see the target being small enough has suddenly shrunk even more. the slap when delivered not only strikes the chin, but also can strike the nerves in the neck if needs be at the same time as hitting the jaw, i personally favour a full face shot which then sends an overloading signal to the brain because the body just cant cope with that much force all in one spot.

It works and works well. and can be delivered nice and easy from almost any angle.

Craig
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

Post by Al Peasland Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:15 pm

Laughing

That clip is sooooo funny lol!

What a peach

Ha ha

lol!

Post by Guest Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:22 pm

R. Pepper

Post by R. Pepper Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:46 pm

I had a kick boxer down to the club here. He was very bemused by the whole slap and open hand thing. So, I got him to hold the pads and gave him a "slap" demo. It definitely opened his mind. Not that I have the best slap in the world, there are guys out there who can hit a hell of a lot harder me. But it obviously worked - as he's very happy using slaps and open hands now. No more hand injuries too! Smile
    Abnett
    Abnett

Post by Abnett Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:01 pm

that video linked by craig is the most likely scenario i've come across to use the slap. The guy didn't even suspect it was coming!! The only thing i don't like with training the slap though is when your hands start to tingle and shake uncontrollably. But it's all good training though

Post by Guest Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:36 pm

Hey Ben

I had some people ask me about that recently as well when training with Geoff, I was teaching the slap technique in class, but I have been doing it for a fair while now so dont really feel the tingling unless I do a serious amount of them and only then its usually just the feeling of the blood rushing into my hand. Practice makes perfect mate, after a while you hardly notice it if at all, the same way as when you start punching for the first time your knuckles are all bruised, skinned and possibly bleeding lol I know mine do. but you get used to it.

Train it correctly and its a fantastic tool to add to your arsenal.
    as you saw on my clip, works good too lol. poor poor guy

Sleep Sleep lol!

Post by karma Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:49 am

You can also hit the head 360' with relative safety (for your hands I mean).A palm slap to the back of the head like your throwing a custard pie really has to be felt to be believed, feels like your eyes are comin out on stalks affraid lol!
    Now why you'd hit someone on the back of the head with a palm slap might be another thread alltogether.So answers on a post card please Very Happy
    Chiao for now
    Karl cheers

Post by Guest Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:10 am

depends if you are hitting the gall bladder points on the back of the head to achieve a quick KO and can be done with minimal force.

Wink

Post by karma Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:19 am

Not sure about the meridian point but base of the skull top of the neck .The cerrabellum (sp?) straight shot  from behind and could be reached  with a looping hook  similar to a rabbit punch rabbit  But if your off the mark you still get a pretty good shot  in with very little harm to the hand Cool Cool

Post by Guest Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:26 am

yip, gallbladder meridian, is very effective indeed.
    Does not take much effort at all for a quick KO.

open hand has many uses
    I also like two palms onto the forehead and crashing in and down towards the cocyx. very very effective as a pre empt when done correctly.

total disorientation and can even achieve a KO.

You tried this didnt you Rick?

what were your results in training and what percentage of power did you use?

Craig
    bounce
    D.Hughes
    D.Hughes
    Admin

Post by D.Hughes Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:30 am

yer, you can hit the head damn near anywhere and hit the GB meridian tbh. i believe the points you are talking about are on the gb meridian. very effective spot to hit, when hit at the correct angle (which im not gonna post here :p)

and yer, i did try it. very effective, completely disorientating. i didnt use much to be fair, we didnt havent any padding for protection. lol!
    bobspour
    bobspour

Post by bobspour Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:07 am

I know very little about meridians guys but I know I have had KO's with every slap at most angles... Ask Richard Grannon. I hardly hit the lad but we split the membrane between the sinus cavity and the brain and cerebro spinal fluid leaked out instantly. It also fractured his skull, caused concussion and I believe I managed to break his nose. Maybe I have internal power!! The hospital thought he'd been in a motorcycle crash...

Slaps, whichever we you look at them are wonderful tools and too much bullshit is spoken about them by people who have never used them.

That's my 5 penny worth to the discussion boys!

Post by karma Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:18 am

Think they've got the seal of approval then Basketball drunken
    Karl cheers
    Abnett
    Abnett

Post by Abnett Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:41 am

It's techniques like this that intregue me. Minimal effort, maximum damage and the angle of attack doesnt matter all that much as you get pretty much the same effect. I love the fact simple moves like this are generally underestimated by the majority. I remember when my dad tried teaching me about slaps when I was alot younger (i didn't understand at the time) but now i understand the flexibility and adaptability of them i've come to realise how truely useful they are. My hands usually tingle after the first 7 or 8 reps when practicing, just as my knuckles end up purple from hitting walls.

Post by Guest Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:36 pm

Thanks bob

I could not agree more, but have had TKO's a few times from using them with miminal power they are devastating when used correctly.

I remember seeing that on one of your dvds, wasnt that the palm heel strike you hit rich with as you turned and struck him when he walked towards you?

Was a nice shot though lol,

Shocked
    bobspour
    bobspour

Post by bobspour Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:01 pm

Yes that's exactly what happened! Rich asked me what I would do if someone was to suddenly walk into my space aggressively...so I hit him. It wasn't particularly hard at all but obviously with his momentum it increased the power of the blow.

As for tingling hands...stop hitting the pads at that point! The technique itself doesn't require hours and hours of practice on the pads. Just get the basic technique that hits the target and off you go. It's not like conditioning the knuckles...if you are into that sort of thing!

...keep slappin'...

Post by Guest Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:15 pm

I dont think I have ever done knuckle conditioning myself
    just from years of punching pads they just toughen up on their own. but as bob has rightly pointed out, once you have the basic technique and know how to employ it, its not something you need to spend hours on. but is well worth learning and is very very effective.

Shocked
    D.Hughes
    D.Hughes
    Admin

Post by D.Hughes Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:00 pm

think they got Bens seal of approval....

hows your shoulder mate?

lol!
    Peter Skillen
    Peter Skillen

Post by Peter Skillen Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:57 pm

The last time i used the power slap for real was in a nightclub when a lad confronted my friend. He had a bottle in his hand i slapped the top of the bottle to knock it through his fist to the floor then slapped with the right. He ended up deaf in one ear perminetly and i had fractured his jaw in two places. I was sent to court and nearly got jail time, the only thing that stopped me going to prison the judge said is because i ONLY slapped him and didnt punch him.....Very powerfull technique.
    I recomend peter concterdine or john skillen if you really want to know this technique.

Post by Guest Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:38 pm

Hey Pete
    Lucky one mate, good job it was ONLY a slap. Shocked
    Another testement to how a slap really can be effective.

cheers
    Abnett
    Abnett

Post by Abnett Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:00 pm

Yeah Rick's right, I love the power slap, and my shoulder is quite tender today. That was one hell of a shot!! haha!!

Yes rick nearly slapped my arm off! haha! cheers

Was training the slap with carl tonight too, and no tingling or shakey hands. A tiny alteration of hand position and adjusting the follow through helped alot, so thanks Rick!! affraid
    D.Hughes
    D.Hughes
    Admin

Post by D.Hughes Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:32 pm

no problemo mate, glad i could help. im pretty sure you'll be correcting some of my techniques in the future too (at least id hope so)
    see ya next week!

Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:22 pm