The Self Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Everything Self Defence

+5
Mick Tully
Al Peasland
Abnett
D.Hughes
Davey
9 posters

NLP Compared to Cognitive psychology

Davey
    Davey

NLP Compared to Cognitive psychology Empty NLP Compared to Cognitive psychology

Post by Davey Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:48 pm

Hi

Had an interesting conversation with Al Peasland the weekend about NLP and I'm quite interested in it, unfortunately I work at a desk next to a complete Sceptic and talking to him, he is adamant that NLP is complete crap, I keep saying thou “ if it works for you, don't question it” but he thinks I should look at Cognitive psychological therapy first before I go spending a large sum on NLP.

I'm not the most confident person, in fact I lack a lot of self confidence and I have good days and bad days but the bad days seem to out weigh the good ones, so I guess you'd say I'm a glass is half empty guy. In a ideal world I would love to get up every morning feeling motivated, focused, confident and less angry at the world.

Questions

1, How does NLP Compare to Cognitive psychology?
    2, Does NLP work for everyone?
    3, From what I've said above would NLP be for me?

Hope that kinda made sense

Dave
    D.Hughes
    D.Hughes
    Admin

NLP Compared to Cognitive psychology Empty Re: NLP Compared to Cognitive psychology

Post by D.Hughes Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:40 pm

hi davey. iv been studying NLP on my own for a while, and am attending bobs course in april, cant wait!
    i wil try to answer your questions as best i can from what i know is true for me.

1) it doesnt. there is no point comparing it, cos its a completely different concept.

2)in my experiance, so far, yes. it works for different people in different ways, but everyone i have experimented with it has worked on.

3) NLP is for everyone. i would suggest you start by buying bobs "functional NLP" dvd set. you can buy it here: http://www.streetfightsecrets.com/22.html
    its only 40 quid, and is easily worth 100 in my opinion. that will give you a good foundation. from there, go get everything and anything you can by richard bandler. it will blow your mind lol.
    Abnett
    Abnett

NLP Compared to Cognitive psychology Empty Re: NLP Compared to Cognitive psychology

Post by Abnett Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:50 pm

I can vouch for Rick's answer to 2 being on of the "lab rats" haha. Rick introduced me to NLP and i've done some reading up on it. It's helped me quite a bit. I'll be buying dvd's etc as recommended by Rick as soon as i've got the spare cash.
    D.Hughes
    D.Hughes
    Admin

Post by D.Hughes Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:02 pm

and i cured your phobia Very Happy
    (and got you really pissed without a drop of alchohol, which was REALLY funny lol! )

Post by Guest Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:09 pm

Hey Davey

I too can vouch for it mate,
    everyone who has came to me with a problem I have been able to help in one way or another depending on the person, each one was successful.

I personally like the fact with NLP the patient or person you are dealing with does NOT need to hear all about the problem in order to cure you.

CBT, can and is beneficial to some people as they say it can be, but why delay the process in curing someone or indeed yourself by talking about your problem to a particular person over and over again?.

Why not just find a way, to do it for yourself or others, and in hardly any time at all when you have the skills you need.

Grab the dvds which Rick has suggested, I have them also, and they are worth their weight in gold.

Craig
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

Post by Al Peasland Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:16 pm

Davey

I'm here to help mate and you get to see me most weeks. So, anytime you want to go through some of this - lets chat Wink
    Mick Tully
    Mick Tully

Post by Mick Tully Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:50 am

Goes for me too
    this stuff actually works! X
    marko

Post by marko Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:47 am

Dave

Good post

I had some NLP work for my horrendous competition nerves, It really worked for that and am certain it would work for other issues. I am gonna try it for motivation and focus for other areas.

I think the important thing about it is that you go into it really believing IT WILL work.

Mark.
    Davey
    Davey

Post by Davey Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:09 am

cheers for the posts People

Motivation and Focus are aanther two that I intend on getting sorted out, seem to have bouts of yer yer yer lets do it, then all of a sudden cant be arsed why do i even bother. ups and downs... tut. Al thanks for that mate will defo have a chat with ya, also see how I can organise having a chat with Mr Spour.

In the meantime going to get some Dvd's
    bobspour
    bobspour

Post by bobspour Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:58 pm

NLP is very different to CBT mainly in its attitude to treatment. In the right hands virtually anything will work with clients who want to make changes in their behaviour. I know some CBT people who have trained with me and it enhanced their existing skills as well as taught them new ones. I don't want to get into the NLP is better than Cbt etc. It's a little like martial arts. It's not really the system that makes it work it's the Practitiioner.

NLP prides itself on looking at people who are successful, at whatever they do, and then being able to model that. If you know someone who has amazing results with CBT look at how they are doing it. Probably not by the book! If what they are doing works, and works quickly copy it! I know I would and have modelled many different techniques in my time.
    If you want to call me do so....at any time. If I don't pick up, then leave a message and we can have a chat!

all the Best

Bob
    Davey
    Davey

Post by Davey Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:55 am

Cheers for that Bob, look forward to your reply to my email.

Regards
    David
    dennis_thompson
    dennis_thompson

Post by dennis_thompson Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:52 pm

Hi Davey, NLP can be mastered in a few hours, to practice cognitive psychology means years of full time study and constant re-training to stay registered with a professional body, BPS.

2. NLP can work for anyone that believes in it, there is a strong onus on belief system.

3. NLP may well be for you, if you have time and cash, try it. If it doesn't work try something else. Like a condom theres no guarantees 100% in life Rolling Eyes

Hope that helps,

Regards,

Den.
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

Post by Al Peasland Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:13 pm

Sometimes, it's not about how much cash you throw at it, it's about how much effort you throw at it.

I'm all for investing in myself, buying books, dvd's, but there comes a point when you actually have to start putting it into practice and living it. That's the tough bit though!

See you this Sunday Davey on the seminar. We can have a chat during and afterwards, see where you want to go with this and I can point you in the right direction mate Wink
    bobspour
    bobspour

Post by bobspour Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:39 pm

Hi Dennis

your point number 2 about belief systems....everything we do is dependant upon our belief system. Reality is...to a certain extent... what you make it! The guy who practices CBT does so because, based on the information he is given, feels that to be the right choice for him. Statistically CBT does seem to work quicker than traditional methods. But I know one or two 'traditionally ' trained psychiatrists who are brilliant. What makes them different is their attitude to their clients and their belief that it is going to work. Because they are able to develop a high level of rapport with their clients it seems their clients buy into the ideas they are espousing (I think this is called hypnosis!) and they start to change. Examples of traditional therapists with these skills are: Milton Erickson, Virginia Satir, Fritz Perls etc

I do know some CBT people who are dreadful to the point of being dangerous! They have simply learned the techniques and once qualified go off to use CBT. They no nothing of building relationships with people and gaining trust. They feel that this is to manipulative. Everything we do and say influences (manipulates) others. Just make sure you influence people in the right way, that's all I am saying!

I'm not sure about it being mastered in a few hours though. I think some of the 'techniques' can be utilised very quickly by practitioners with high confidence levels but at a deeper level it requires lots of practice. I've been involved in NLP and other techniques for years and I am still learning loads of stuff! What I have also found is that my understanding of NLP has allowed me to model some of the best people around in all sorts of fields not just psychology but philosophy, politics, history, anthropology, languages, self protection, martial arts etc and the list goes on...

Al is spot on about the effort. A lot of people get into NLP thinking that it is a simple kind of tool that anyone can pick up and use instantly. In a few cases that is true but to truly master NLP requires time and effort with the Practitioner course being simply the tip of the iceberg.

Hope this helps guys...but remember these are just my beliefs! Might be useful to some of you...
    dennis_thompson
    dennis_thompson

Post by dennis_thompson Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:00 pm

Hi Bob,

wholeheartedly agree with your points,

Sometis at the hospital we get arrogant doctors that have no bedside manner and treat both staff and patients like something they stood in, then you get the underpaid, undervalued, overworked nurses that have a smile and cheery word.

My pet passion is the study of belief sytems and believe me you can go to umpteen professionals with high qualifications, but if you don't trust and believe in them its pointless, aint going to work.

The internet is littered with 'masters' of NLP, just pure bogus, medicine in any form is a life long study as you are doing yourself Bob.

To me it doesn't matter if it's fluoxetine, NLP or sugar pill. If it works or you and you're happy with the results thats the most important thing, which is why I say everyones different.

Some people refuse to see doctors, some refuse to accept anything 'alternative'.

Which is why im fascinated by belief sytems.

Lets remember phrenology was taught in universities before it was debunked!

My post was admittedly reductionist because i was answering in bullet point and forums arent my greatest forte at imparting information.

So back to the point, I totally agree NLP the way you practice it Bob can be more beneficial than some other practices, especially when doctors have 7 mins to see you, psychologists longer but again theres no evidence psychoanalysis s any better than antidepressants.

Cheers,

Den
    bobspour
    bobspour

Post by bobspour Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:32 pm

Spot on mate!

Have you noticed that ALL drugs have to be tested against a placebo and that in 74% cases the placebo is as or more effective than the drug it was tested against?

Statistically therefore there is more evidence that placebos are the most effective treatment!

Mmmmm

The bastards are all out there to get us! Or is that just my Belief?

Great posts by the way....
    Tony Terranova
    Tony Terranova

Post by Tony Terranova Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:11 pm

The unique thing about NLP when compared to other 'healing' treatments is that whilst NLP has guidelines you can custom develpo your own NLP to suit your own way of teaching and it can be specific to the person your helping. Since I did Bob's NLP course I give myself a mental MOT from the minute I wake up to make sure I am in the right frame of mind for the day.

I once read that the difference between a neurotic, a psychotic, and a psychiatrist is that the neurotic builds castles in the sky, the psychotic lives in them and the psychiatrist collects the rent.

Tony. T
    bobspour
    bobspour

Post by bobspour Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:20 pm

Do you know the difference between a schizophrenic and a psychiatrist Tony?

The schizophrenic gets better and goes home!
    Tony Terranova
    Tony Terranova

Post by Tony Terranova Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:29 pm

Nice one Bob - I just spat all my tea out all over my leyboard reading your post........

Tony. T

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:36 am