The Self Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Everything Self Defence

5 posters

Internal Arts

Internal Arts Empty Internal Arts

Post by Guest Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:13 pm

Hey guys just a quick note

how many of you on here practice some form of internal arts.
    By this I mean for relaxation, focus, and wellbeing. be it, Tai Chi
    Chi gung, ( Qi Gonh ), Yoga, etc etc.

If you do practice it, what benefits have you gotten in your time of study in this.

I personally do Chi Kung, which I learned about 8 years ago, and carry it on as often as possible. I have had some major benefits from it, one being one which defied doctors explanations about 4 Years ago, whereby I had one of my kidneys was shutting down due to a very bad viral infection. The doctors didnt appear to know what had caused it at the time, and I was hospitalised. They told me that the signs were not looking good for it ever regaining full capacity again.

I practiced more than I ever had in those days in hospital, each morning, afternoon, and evening time. Also positive thinking and visualisation.

3 days later, I was scanned, poked, prodded, tested as per usual and my kidney function was back to being A1, without a scar, or any long term damage. The doctors dont know how it happened and I have been told numerous times it should not have happened.

Thats just one instance,

Has anyone else had any other benefits, physical or otherwise.

Craig
    bobspour
    bobspour

Internal Arts Empty Re: Internal Arts

Post by bobspour Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:35 pm

Chi Kung?

You really know how to open a can of worms mate.

Can't wait to see the replies!

Post by Guest Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:13 pm

Well someone needs to stir the pot a little mate.
    besides, it will be good to see some replies on this.

besides, its not as if im talking about No touch knockouts, or chi masters, just something which people do to unwind and focus a little.
    not cultivating chi and trying for all the nonsensical stuff.

Craig
    D.Hughes
    D.Hughes
    Admin

Post by D.Hughes Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:00 pm

i do a lot of visualization and state change.
    thats about it really lol. havent got the patience for much else Laughing

Post by Guest Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:23 pm

lmao

well at least your honest mate.

Craig
    maija
    maija

Post by maija Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:22 pm

Hi Guys,
    I've been traveling so have had limited access to the internet of late, however I find myself infront of a computer this morning so thought I'd post at least a short answer.
    As I said in my intro, I've been practicing the so called Internal Arts for over 2 decades now - Tai Chi, Bagua Zhang and Hsing-I, along with the Nei Gung (inner work) that is implicit within each system.
    Unfortunately the arts have suffered, as many have, from unskilled teachers, charlatans, ineptitude and dilution. This is not to say, however, that there are not some authentic, highly skilled teachers and practitioners out there who can perform the arts in the manner in which they were intended.
    Obviously Chi and Nei Gung are purely for health, not fighting but contain all the health benefits none the less.
    I know from my own practice that when I walk Bagua circles, It makes me feel happy and energizes me after I'm done.
    I once asked my teacher, Luo De Xiu (you can find clips on Youtube if you so desire) why something that was so good for health was also good for fighting?
    His answer, and I'm paraphrasing, went something like: 'For health you want flexibility, strength, whole body integration, a calm, clear mind, focus, mind body connection and stamina. Health/fighting, what different?'
    The 'Internal Arts' also want these attributes to continue and improve as you age, so in theory you can keep them till you finally kick the bucket.
    All the training is very sensible really, about using the whole body as it was designed in a gravitational environment.
    I've been training with teacher Luo for about 10 years now and I swear he looks younger every year with more, smooth power and flexibility. I think he's doing something right! and I want it!! Smile I have found nothing in my practice that I have had to un-learn for so called reality based training.
    I am getting older, as are we all, and am motivated to practice things that keep me healthy whilst also being fighting arts. How cool is that?!

Post by Guest Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:33 pm

Hi Maija

Thanks for the reply mate.
    nice post.

Craig
    Steve Rowe
    Steve Rowe

Post by Steve Rowe Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:21 pm

I've practiced Tai Chi including chi kung for over 35 years. The terms 'internal' and 'external' can be misleading as we all have an inside and an outside and need to train both whatever system we practice. 'Internal' refers generally to the systems emanating from the Shaolin Temple and 'external' to those that originated outside.

There is only one type of Tai Chi and that is a martial art. The chi kung (qigong) attached to it is martial in origin and all skills are taught in the 'exercises' and then within technique in the form for skill learning and then applied to combative situations within application and push hands. They are then applied to a variety of weapons work, usually double edged sword, broadsword, spear and pole.

All MA's contain the essential trinity of health, skill learning and application. If you don't practice all 3 it just doesn't work very well. As many of you know I have taught a variety of security personnel, bodyguards, special services and police self defence instructors across Europe, many for over 20 years, they all practice the exercises, skills and strategies primarily from Tai Chi.

Tai Chi was originally called 'soft cotton boxing' referring to it's capacity to meet strength with softness until the opponent met the 'iron bar' wrapped inside. It was taught to the Chinese Emperors bodyguards and is well renown for it's fighting abilities. To learn properly you have to 'eat bitter' as opposed to the 'tourist tai chi' taught to many western visitors. Anything worth learning is not easy, but with determination and resolve and the right Sifu, Tai Chi is a worthwhile martial art.
    maija
    maija

Post by maija Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:23 pm

Hi Steve,
    I have to say that my understanding of the term 'Internal' vs 'External' seems to be different from yours.
    From what I've been taught, a few of the basic ideas that separate so called Internal Arts from External are the ideas that they are designed for a physically weaker person to take on a stronger opponent, that practicing them will make you healthy, and that you should be able to improve your skills into old age without a decline (obviously you lose physical capacity but in theory the subtlety of your movement becomes better as does your ability to exploit range angle and timing).
    As I understand it, the concept of 'Internal' was coined quite late on and refers to the 'trinity' of arts comprising Tai Chi, Hsing-I and Bagua Zhang only. Then there are some combo Internal/External arts such as Liu He Ba Fa and Ba Ji, and then onto so called External Arts such as Praying Mantis and Hung Gar.
    Of course there is eternal debate as to what 'Internal' really means, and honestly my Eskrima teacher was one of the most 'Internal' practitioners I've ever seen, though he did not describe his skills in that language. I would suggest that very high skill people from any art are all 'Internal' to some extent.
    My training partner Jess O'Brien edited a book of interviews with Internal teachers to ask their opinions about what they do and what it means, so if any of you are interested, look for 'Nei Jia Chuan' by the aforementioned Mr O'Brien.
    Steve Rowe
    Steve Rowe

Post by Steve Rowe Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:36 pm

My explanation was historical and with the caveat that it means something quite different to most people nowadays. It's current usage is useless as I explained whatever system you train in you have to train with what is considered as both the internal and external, everyone is looking for the optimum performance.

There is no 'mystique' anymore to the internal, take away the circus tricksters and the skills are easily explainable and good internal connection make for far more efficient performance for anyone. This is where good tai chi and interpretation of the advice in the classics into anatomical explanation really scores well.
    Mick Tully
    Mick Tully

Post by Mick Tully Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:56 pm

great posts guys...very informative
    mick x
    Steve Rowe
    Steve Rowe

Post by Steve Rowe Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:58 pm

A good Chi Kung system will link every part of the body, softening through the core to the feet. It will of course cover posture, breathing, mental awareness and focus. It will open and expand the joints, softening the myofascia and making it more supple and mobile. It will use the mind and movement to connect the myofascial meridians in the body so they function to move you in the most efficient and powerful manner. Every exercise should stimulate and excite one or more power sources in the body and directly relate to every martial movement you do.

Beware - there is a lot of crap out there and you need to find a complete system with a direct relationship from exercise to form to application.

There are 'medical' chi kung systems but they have little use for martial arts movement and technique.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:00 pm