The Self Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Everything Self Defence

+5
kaarl
Peter Skillen
Mick Tully
9 posters

dog brothers

Mick Tully
    Mick Tully

dog brothers Empty dog brothers

Post by Mick Tully Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:54 pm

Hi guys,
    Just watching the itv 4 programme on the dog brothers.....just would like to see what you all think of this type of training.....pro's and con's....
    Thanks
    Mick x
    Peter Skillen
    Peter Skillen

dog brothers Empty Re: dog brothers

Post by Peter Skillen Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:20 pm

bugger missed it but would love to watch it anybody know when its on again or recorded it. I have a couple of dog brothers knife dvds and love them would love to catch this one.
    kaarl
    kaarl

Post by kaarl Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:02 pm

its still available on itv catch up for the next 28 days try this link

http://www.itv.com/ITVPlayer/Video/default.html?ViewType=5&Filter=45266
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

Post by Al Peasland Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:03 am

Just like Animal Days only they are wearing protective hats and gloves. Laughing

They do have sticks in their hands though!!! poke
    Peter Skillen
    Peter Skillen

Post by Peter Skillen Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:10 pm

cheers kaarl for coming up with hte goods yet again.
    Peter Skillen
    Peter Skillen

Post by Peter Skillen Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:36 pm

just watched it and i think we should all go to the next gathering and represent the uk....woof! star wars

Post by karma Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:07 pm

I know that Benjamin Rittener ( Lonely Dog) will be teaching a seminar in Bristol come October .If any one is interested.I'll find out the exact dates
    Karl
    Luke Mannion
    Luke Mannion

Post by Luke Mannion Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:39 pm

I'd appreciate if you could mate, i quite fancy attending that!
    Peter Skillen
    Peter Skillen

Post by Peter Skillen Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:58 pm

yes me too
    Mick Tully
    Mick Tully

Post by Mick Tully Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:18 pm

Me too!
    Big fan of their stuff
    Mick x

Post by karma Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:27 am

Talked to Colin ( C Point Dog )and he's said all are welcome.
    Sat 10 Oct is sparring with some of the UK instructors teaching .( Under Ben's supervision part of their assesments I think.) Sunday 11 Oct seems to be the main day with Lonely Dog .Last time I was there we trained from 12-6pm .
    Keep those dates free and as soon as I get details of the venue and cost I'll post them.

To address Mick's question I've been training with the Bristol clan for about a year and a half. I think that there is a level of honesty in this system of many styles.This is a similar in many respects to Muay Thai ,Boxing and Judo ( or BJJ for that matter).
    What you have to realise is that in many ways the training is similar,(we drill footwork ,skill refinement,fitness etc) in regular class we aren't beating the sh*t out of each other .But we do try to apply the techiques with the fighters eye.
    Al said it looked like The Animal Days with sticks I totally agree.It's all about testing each other to produce capable fighters .Not to break each other.
    The stick fighting is just one aspect of Dog Brothers Martial Arts (DBMA). They have the Kali Tudo(TM) .In which they try to apply the empty hand (Panatukan)through the prism of the street in the cage .
    Then there is the Die Less Often material in which they use line ups , verbalization and the fence ( In which the openly acknowledge the work of Geoff Thompson and others) . But most of this is geared to dealing with the knife and gun.
    One of the thing's that I heard which I really liked .Is that you want to be able produce a fighter who is prepared or capable of fighting in a 360' enviroment armed or unarmed against single or multiple opponents . And to be able to do this to a ripe old age then you can "walk as a warrior for all your days."
    Not a bad thing to aim for.In my opinion
    www.dogbrothers .com for further info
    Karl

Last edited by karma on Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Gotta learn to spell man)
    Dave Stanswood
    Dave Stanswood

Post by Dave Stanswood Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:56 am

I liked the programme but it did highlight to me how quickly the weapon is lost when one person rushes another. If you do not allow grappling etc then the distance is set and you have a stick fight if its anything goes then the baser instinct kicks in and the weapon takes a back seat (mostly). I have trained with sticks (latosa escrima) and i did/do love it but sometimes the only advantage having a stick gives you is psychological. Its something to hide behind etc. A good degree of skill was shown and one move in particular (which i like and its hitting the foot) was seen. Yeah they are talented but slightly mad. The best thing though was the level of honesty shown in there training when they get to use it for real.

Dave
    kaarl
    kaarl

Post by kaarl Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:56 pm

it reminded me alot of the animal days,but i think there was a bit more intent in the animal day dvds,i personally think your always going to get more intent with violence at 100%,
    dont get me wrong it looks like great fun and when you go at it you can be nothing but honest,and lots of the fancy stuff goes out of the window as usual the simpler the better,but i think its important to understand the differences between this and a street confrontation,i acually see this more like heavy sparing,and its done from a sparing distance give and take only happens when both partys agree,its different ball game when someone runs at you flailing all out to destroy you

heres a clip of a guy attacking the police full intent trying to kill there is no give and take,its more "dont care what you do,im doing this" its a very different mindset

Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

Post by Al Peasland Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:49 am

Shocking video!

Thanks Karl, I tend to agree with you regarding the intensity of the Animal Days. Not because I was so heavily involved for many years, biased as I might be, but one thing that did strike me with the fighting in the Dog Brothers programme was as has been said, how quickly the stick was forgotten when they got in close.
    How quickly they went into grappling range and also, how quickly the fights were stopped once there was an injury.

At first glance it looks pretty fierce stuff, but looking back at some of the Animal Day footage, as I have done recently, I feel that that was far more raw and real in terms of intensity.

We didn't wear gloves when went to the floor, we had no head guards and most fights were not stopped until there was a knock-out or a tap out. And believe me, most of the lads would go a lonnnnnng way before they would even consider tapping.

Our grappling was pretty basic, partly because we weren't very good, but also because that's what really works when there is a non-compliant partner in front of you. I'm guessing that's the same for the basic stick work in the Dog Brother's fights. They will have quickly figured out what works and what doesn't in these types of fights.

And perhaps, what we did in the Animal Days was a little foolhardy, a little un-controlled and most definitely dangerous.

From the outside, I can see how it could be seen as that.

I was on the inside of this for many years however, and the Animal Days before we ever filmed the videos or did the TV programmes were far more brutal. So for us, it was just sparring.
    I honestly believed every club trained like that - until I started to train elsewhere Smile

Stay safe

Al Wink
    Abnett
    Abnett

Post by Abnett Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:01 pm

That looks nuts! Wouldn't mind doing something like that, mostly for the pre-fight adrenaline dump. Fantastic way to try and counter/control yourself under such pressure. Imagine explaining the injuries at work the next day to the boss. Shocked
    adamuk
    adamuk

Post by adamuk Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:03 pm

Is it realistic?
    I like their idea of pressure testing, but does it really show the FMA as realistic or that most systems are full of fluff and stuff that doesn't work?

Animal days stripped down the empty hand arts.
    How much has these events stripped down the FMA?
    Does DBMA reflect this or do they still teach the entire FMA system.....Latosa, Inosanto Blend, etc???

Anyway as a martial artist fanatic, I'm glad I caught this program.

Post by karma Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:15 am

Details of the up coming seminar with "Lonely Dog " Benjamin Rittiner
    as requested. Hope to see some of you guys there it'll be a blast
    Karl

DBMA Bristol are hosting a seminar with Guro Benjamin “Lonely Dog” Rittiner on Sunday 11th October 2009 from 12-5pm. All are welcome so please contact Lynn on fluffydoc@hotmail.com if you are interested in attending. A flyer for the event is attached.

Cost is £40 if paid by 11th September 2009, or £45 if paid on the day. Please note a £10 deposit is required to book a place. There is a maximum of 20 spaces available (this is not a marketing ploy!), so please do get in touch if you want to attend.

Venue: Main Hall, Community Centre, Rodway Road, Patchway, Bristol, BS34 5PF, Tel 01454868549

If you need accommodation, the following B&B’s are nearby:

The Grey House, The Common, Patchway, BS34 6AL, Telephone 01454 852820

The Jays, 213-215 Gloucester Road, Patchway, BS34 6ND, Telephone 01454 612771

Maple Leaf Guest House, 221 Gloucester Road, Patchway, BS34 6ND, Telephone 01454 617706

The Rookery, 227 Gloucester Road, Patchway, BS34 6ND, Telephone 01454 850088

Willow Court Lodge, 209 Gloucester Road, Patchway, BS34 6ND, Telephone 01454 612276

Hope to see you there!

Lynn "C-Psycho Bitch" Brown
    Peter Skillen
    Peter Skillen

Post by Peter Skillen Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:43 pm

Ill be there....

Post by karma Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:25 am

Nice one. Pete
    Mick Tully
    Mick Tully

Post by Mick Tully Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:54 pm

I'm in too!
    Mick x

Post by karma Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:59 pm

And so we shall meet again senor Mick hugs
    Be good to see you bro
    Luke Mannion
    Luke Mannion

Post by Luke Mannion Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:56 pm

I'll be there too guys.

Post by karma Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:31 pm

Nice one Luke .It will be good to catch up.This is turning into a nice little reunion .Well for me anyway excited

Post by karma Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:49 pm

Just bringing this to the top, hope to see some of you on the seminar Sunday.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 12:41 am