The Self Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Everything Self Defence

+3
Gapster
Al Peasland
Marc1978
7 posters

Barrington Patterson

Marc1978

Barrington Patterson Empty Barrington Patterson

Post by Marc1978 Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:05 am

Barrington Patterson explodes into action,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUbspXFT6rA

Marc bounce
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

Barrington Patterson Empty Re: Barrington Patterson

Post by Al Peasland Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:50 pm

Looks like that was my old friend Barrington outside, what used to be called the Wyken Pippin (not sure if it's changed it's name now)
    Gapster

Post by Gapster Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:12 pm

I guess I must have missed something on the clip? I don't see any 'exploding' or 'action'? Was this a wind up clip?
    Marc1978

Post by Marc1978 Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:26 am

No wind up,for a man who's 44 years old and is an excellent cage fighter and seasoned doorman he still looks as explosive as ever who's still in great shape.

He's also halfway through writing his autobiography which should be a great book

Marc study
    kaarl
    kaarl

Post by kaarl Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:55 am

I know we can't tell what happened before but attacking someone because they called you a name? Suspect its hardly self defence more like self offence
    Marc1978

Post by Marc1978 Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:44 am

kaarl wrote:I know we can't tell what happened before but attacking someone because they called you a name? Suspect its hardly self defence more like self offence

No disrespect Kaarl but i don't think calling a coloured person a 'Ni**er' goes down too well in any part of the world

Marc
    kaarl
    kaarl

Post by kaarl Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:30 am

So are you saying you think thats acceptable behavior? as long as someone calls you a name?

He would be thrown out of the ufc for this sort of behaviour and it gives the sport a bad name

It takes a bigger man to walk away in my eyes
    Marc1978

Post by Marc1978 Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:59 am

Any physical response is a last resort/option whether they call you a name or not,but to use the pejorative and offensive word 'Ni**er' to any coloured person will invoke an extremely stong reaction.
    In the UFC all the fighters are professional in their conduct,but this situation was part of the pub/nightclub scene which is a world apart from MMA,and as Geoff Thompson has said sometimes many rules have to be broken in keeping the peace long term,that does not make it right or wrong that's just how it is.

Marc
    Gapster

Post by Gapster Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:38 am

I've watched a couple of his 'fights' on the web - pretty awful in every sense - but hats off for having the balls to get in the ring.

He's appeared to be a big lumbering lump with very limited skills - which was even more apparent in the clip you posted where he was completely ineffective against a 'nobody' in the street. My guess is he's 'slapped' a few punters on the door to get a reputation and built his (shakey) image on that.

Amazingly, I find myself agreeing with Kaarl ... Barrington was behaving like a half-wit and had no reason to react the way he did. If he's a 'seasoned doorman' then this clip on youtube show's just how incapable he is - priceless.
    kaarl
    kaarl

Post by kaarl Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:03 pm

well personally i dont think mma fighters or grown men should behave like that

but to use the pejorative and offensive word 'Ni**er' to any coloured person will invoke an extremely stong reaction.

unless of course your skins the same colour then he'd be your mate,try standing next to a group of coloured youths and see how many times they use it,you might be suprised

Amazingly, I find myself agreeing with Kaarl

stop it right now affraid
    Marc1978

Post by Marc1978 Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:54 pm

[quote="kaarl"]unless of course your skins the same colour then he'd be your mate,try standing next to a group of coloured youths and see how many times they use it,you might be suprised

The colour of my skin is white not black but i have friends and acquaintances from all different races and cultures so someones skin colour makes no difference to me.

There's a big difference between light hearted banter and being vindictive and malicious to someone to invoke a reaction.

Marc afro
    kaarl
    kaarl

Post by kaarl Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:50 am

The colour of my skin is white not black but i have friends and acquaintances from all different races and cultures so someones skin colour makes no difference to me.

Same here afro

perhaps you miss understand what I meant? This is the sort of thing I was on about that word is used allot in music etc and gang culture and indeed comedy(language warning)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui6-Wc0PDc4
    Marc1978

Post by Marc1978 Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:41 am

Chris Rock very very talentered guy and stand-up comedian,

The king of stand-up comedey Richard Pryor,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEVmAbxC14g

Marc study
    Derrick64

Post by Derrick64 Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:32 pm

Personally I find the word "coloured" very offensive. It's like the bad old days in the states with "White's only" then "Coloured's only" diners, buses and rest rooms etc. I find it hard to believe that people still use that word in the 21st century without realising what offence it causes.

And there is no such thing as a self defence where you have to chase your attacker around a car park to catch him.
    Marc1978

Post by Marc1978 Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:44 am

Derrick64 wrote:Personally I find the word "coloured" very offensive. It's like the bad old days in the states with "White's only" then "Coloured's only" diners, buses and rest rooms etc. I find it hard to believe that people still use that word in the 21st century without realising what offence it causes.

And there is no such thing as a self defence where you have to chase your attacker around a car park to catch him.

Well Derrick64 if you find the word ''coloured'' offensive then what non-offensive word would you use to describe a non-white person?

Marc Question
    Derrick64

Post by Derrick64 Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:07 am

A "non white person?"

You make it sounds as if there are only two kinds of people - white people, and "non white" people.... surely even worse than "coloured" people.

Just two categories. And white people get one all to themselves of course. Everyone else gets lumped into the "non whites."

But I forget, you "have friends from all different races and cultures...." That's the typical "I have a friend who's black so I can't possibly be racist" 70's stereotypical apologism that we tried so hard to leave behind in the 70's.

You'll be naming black comedians next, trying to hint that you like them too, so once again you cannot be a racist. Oh but you've already done that. This is like that scene in The Office where David Brent sucks up to the black guy, starting random conversations about black people ("Do you know who my favourite actor is? Mr Sidney Poitier......") just to show that he isn't racist. Methinks thou dost protest too much.

I can assure you that I am far from the only person who finds the term "coloured" offensive ("White" and "Coloured"..... "White" and "Non white"..... just two kinds of people......).

I can assure you that many people find the term "coloured" very offensive indeed. Why not ask some of your "non white" friends? Make sure they don't chase you around any car parks though.

I don't want to take part in this thread any more. This is not why I come here. Not at all.

No
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

Post by Al Peasland Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:43 am

I think this thread may have strayed from it's original topic - which was Marc's posting of a mobile phone footage of Barrington having a "fight" in a car park.

Perhaps I can just bring this back on-topic for a moment as I agree with Derrick on this one
    this is not why I come here

Barrington is a good friend of mine and a fine martial artist.
    He is certainly a force to be reckoned with on the mat and on the street.
    The footage shown on this clip would not go down as his "finest work" - and in addition, I would agree that having to chase the guy around the car park is not a good example of Self Defence, but then, no one said Barrington was selling this footage as an example of self defence.

Having been in the same world as Barrington and in the same city for that matter, I can understand why, he had to chase the guy to make a point, even if it seemed like a bit of name calling to some.

I am the first person to say we have to be big enough to rise above this and walk away. However, I am also aware that sometimes our role and position may be damaged if we do not.
    I no longer work the doors so am more than happy to walk away, but when you're still in that world, you simply can't afford to let people off so easily.

This is in no way justifying his actions, just to say that I understand his reasoning and motivation on this occasion.

Oh, and yes, some of Barrington's fights may have been a bit "lumbering", but trust me, a "Lumbering Barrington" on a bad day would still be more than enough for most of us on our good days!
    Gapster

Post by Gapster Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:02 pm

Black or white, if you don't know them.... how about Sir?
    Derrick64

Post by Derrick64 Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:58 pm

Thank yo Al Peasland, and thanks you Gapster.
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

Post by Al Peasland Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:58 pm

if you don't know them.... how about Sir?

I like that Wink
    Peter Skillen
    Peter Skillen

Post by Peter Skillen Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:25 am

The lad was insulting barrington with something he knew would be taken as an insult and with something that was designed to bring about a reaction. Well it did and the lad got what he asked for. In my opinion he is lucky, I know a few black lads that would have chopped him up for that...doesn't mean i agree with such harsh action but they would!
    Marc1978

Post by Marc1978 Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:05 pm

Peter Skillen wrote:The lad was insulting barrington with something he knew would be taken as an insult and with something that was designed to bring about a reaction. Well it did and the lad got what he asked for. In my opinion he is lucky, I know a few black lads that would have chopped him up for that...doesn't mean i agree with such harsh action but they would!

Well said Peter,

Marc santa
    Gapster

Post by Gapster Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:08 pm

The lad was insulting barrington with something he knew would be taken as an insult and with something that was designed to bring about a reaction. Well it did and the lad got what he asked for. In my opinion he is lucky, I know a few black lads that would have chopped him up for that...doesn't mean i agree with such harsh action but they would!

I think most of us know someone who would react in a way that may be considered by some a 'step too far' - and yes, he may well have got what he deserved: I'm all for the Scumbags getting a hiding.

However, the clip was posted for critique (I think), and in this example (IMHO) it shows someone who reacted in a way not conducive to SD principles (obviously), and, when he did respond his actions were far from convincing in effectiveness. For such a big lad with an apparent background in Kickboxing/MMA/Doorwork etc. his 'retribution' on a puny-looking -toe-rag was poor in the extreme.

Shocked Cool
    Derrick64

Post by Derrick64 Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:49 pm

Actually we have no information on the dispute at all, other than the last few words prior to the assault.
    Marc1978

Post by Marc1978 Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:54 pm

Derrick64 wrote:Actually we have no information on the dispute at all, other than the last few words prior to the assault.

I wouldn't call it an assault,but a variation of a pre-emptive response within that particular world/subculture (pub/nightclub/doorwork scene) which in turn results in being very pro-active long-term.

Marc

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content