The Self Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Everything Self Defence

+3
Gapster
Al Peasland
Marc1978
7 posters

Barrington Patterson

Gapster

Barrington Patterson - Page 2 Empty Re: Barrington Patterson

Post by Gapster Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:16 pm

a variation of a pre-emptive response within that particular world/subculture

Not THE most ridiculous comment I've ever read, but it definitely makes it to the provisional top ten.... Rolling Eyes lol!
    Marc1978

Post by Marc1978 Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:42 am

Not THE most ridiculous comment I've ever read, but it definitely makes it to the provisional top ten.... Rolling Eyes lol![/quote]

Well Gapster i'm surprised you find my comment so ridiculous,it shows me you have very little street savvy and most definitely can not read between the lines.

Marc study
    Peter Skillen
    Peter Skillen

Post by Peter Skillen Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:41 am

Bad s.d.f principles yes But i don't think he had that in mind at the time and I don't think Marc who posted the video was referring to it as anything other than barrington having a fight( not a very good one I admit but it did the job)
    Derrick64

Post by Derrick64 Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:46 am

Marc1978 wrote:

I wouldn't call it an assault,but a variation of a pre-emptive response within that particular world/subculture (pub/nightclub/doorwork scene) which in turn results in being very pro-active long-term.

Marc

I do feel that this is a ridiculous statement to make. No flame war. These are my reasons.

He pre empted someone who wasn't within reach, i.e. he had to chase him to do it. Surely we talk of a "pre empt" as hitting first because you genuinely fear he is going to hit you. Chasing him to do so cannot count.

Different so called sub cultures do not have different rules. Let's hope you don't mean "whites" and "non whites" again.

"Very pro active long term" is meaningless. I wonder if you mean he is defending himself from some future assault by attacking someone now? If so that is very flawed, as that would "justify" anyone attacking anyone ("He might attack me in future as he just called me a name."). It is a vesion of a pre empt that has no justification in morality and is not what I understand by the term "pre empt." What next? A "strangle" applied to the wrist? Nonsense.

"Reading between the lines?" Is this the same as mind reading? You are not reading between any lines that I can see, and are merely making up the supposed circumstances to justify the actions of someone you seem to respect. A kind of "I like him therefore he is in the right" attitude found in playgrounds across the world.

I don't know if Gapster is street savvy, but I do know that he knows about respect.

Perhaps we should move on. All I've seen is a film of a poor fight, and then someone making up stories in his head to try and see it in some kind of favourable light for one of the combatants.
    Peter Skillen
    Peter Skillen

Post by Peter Skillen Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:28 pm

End of the day I think Marc has a right to his opinion and derrick and gapster make very, very good S.D.F points. I Think this video is nothing more than a testimony to real life and how violence really happens. I side for neither barrington or the other guy( looks to me like a guy on steroids). S.D.F No defintely not. A bad reason for a fight. No, not for a street fighter who has to maintain a reputation. Bad tempers and bad restraint. Yes, definetly.
    Gapster

Post by Gapster Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:23 am

The irony here is I do side (read sympathize) for Barrington - and I don't even know the Guy - but the evidence from the clip relates to more than just the 'philosophy and principles' of SD going out of the window.

As mentioned in above posts, everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if they're wrong like Marc1978 lol! But as Derrick64 has kindly pointed out (and which I agree with) there needs to be logical reasons behind those opinions, not just 'knee-jerk' reactionary factoids.

As for it being testimony to 'real life'? Indeed it is, but (IMHO) it doesn't do anything to enhance the reputation of Barrington (or anyone in the business) if anything it brings them down from the pedestal they been on and removes the 'Superhuman' tag many people seem to give them.

My guess is he'd rather it wasn't on youtube, as it doesn't show him in a good light combatively, mentally or morally - though it does suggest he can run the 100 in quick time, so I guess he's up for potential gold at the next village sports day.

Nobody has mentioned the 'techniques', or lack of, that he used to attempt to batter this numbskull?
    Gav t

Post by Gav t Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:50 am

He was in one of Kate krays "hard bastards" books i think? and i'm sure he was on a Danny dyer tv program?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content