The Self Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Everything Self Defence

+3
Millerb
Stewey
Les Turpin
7 posters

your jolly holiday

Les Turpin
    Les Turpin

your jolly holiday Empty your jolly holiday

Post by Les Turpin Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:32 pm

i am away in a few weeks and i guess most of you are going to be away soon as well.

what precautions do you take to stay as safe as possible in a foriegn country? heres a few tips i have learnt and posted on other forums in the past, a lot are what we do at home. awareness etc etc

stay in populated areas. dont go into seedy areas

dont walk around with belongings on show, camera around neck etc etc.

find out where the local law enforcement are stationed.

if your mobil phone works make sure you know the emergency numbers and hotel number should be programmed into it.

dont take all your money out with you

i leave something noisy inside of my apartment door to wake me if it opens or a wedge to jam it .

baseball bats are usually for sale cheap everywhere if you want a blunt equaliser in your apartment.

respect all cultures, "when in rome ...."

just a few things,

critisize add or take away all tips are welcome
    cheers
    Stewey
    Stewey

your jolly holiday Empty Re: your jolly holiday

Post by Stewey Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:49 pm

Well the first thing that you should do - even before you go is learn some of the language of the country. After all a few phrases may get you out of trouble more times than using physical force, misunderstandings, etc.

Also brush up on basic first aid and take a first aid kit with you - not somethig the size of a suitcase - just something that can fit into your hand luggage or daysack.
    Millerb

Post by Millerb Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:15 pm

I am a real globetrotter, mainly because work demands it so find myself in Crime capital the USA a lot. Never go out alone, never drink too much etc and be aware of surroundings. Being female, always carry handbag across the body with zips and don't take too much stuff. However, a great holiday destination for anyone considering it and never been, try Cyprus. It;s a very very safe country, mainly because it is quite small but also the punishments are quite high for petty crime and I have actually witnessed a guy visiting a cashpoint, left his (soft top ) car running with the roof down, mob phone left on seat and loads of passers by. No trouble at all. It really is refreshing, and I have been there loads of times. It just seems everyone looks out for each other. Very Happy
    Les Turpin
    Les Turpin

Post by Les Turpin Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:01 am

i'm moving to Cyprus lol
    paul scothern
    paul scothern

Post by paul scothern Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:53 pm

http://www.peterconsterdine.com/protection-publications/books.htm#travelsafe

is a great if dry book

i've heard some suggest taking a wooden wedge and using it to give extra security (put under the door of your room) when you are in your room as some hotels give out card keys like toffee.

plus it's great to stop the maid coming in if you're having sexytime with your other half Wink Wink
    jimmyfatwing
    jimmyfatwing

Post by jimmyfatwing Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:31 pm

This came from the guys at Motley Fool which is a financial-ish site. Good to see more people are thinking about it!

Ten Travel Tips To Keep You Safe
    By Cliff D'Arcy

Before you set off for foreign shores, take precautions in order to keep you, your money and your possessions safe and secure!
    Last month, a friend of mine jetted off for a stag weekend in the lovely city of Barcelona. Alas, he and his fifteen buddies discovered to their cost that the capital of Catalonia is a European hotspot for theft from tourists. In total, nine of the sixteen (fully refreshed!) stags lost wallets to pickpockets, muggers or con artists. Ouch!

According to American Express Travellers Cheques, one in six holidaymakers (17%) was a victim of theft abroad last year. So, before you head off on holiday, spend some time being safety conscious. By planning ahead, you can be confident that you, your money and your belongings will be safe. These ten tips, courtesy of Fool.co.uk and American Express, will help keep you secure:

1. Take copies of all your documents
    Take two photocopies of important documents, including your passport, flight tickets and hotel-reservation confirmation. Leave one set at home, in case your family need to come to your rescue. Take the other set with you, keeping it separate from the real documents.

2. Send yourself an email reminder
    Send all emergency information to your inbox, such as insurance details, helpline numbers, Travellers Cheque numbers, and emergency numbers for lost or stolen plastic cards. This will enable you to get hold of this information should you lose your paperwork.

3. Play it safe with your money
    Don't carry a wallet or purse stuffed with cash around with you. Instead, spread your spending between cash, Travellers Cheques and plastic cards. Unlike cash, Travellers Cheques are insured, never expire, and can be cancelled and replaced at short notice if lost or stolen. By all means, have some cash in your pocket, but keep the majority in the hotel safe.

4. Buy a padlock and chain
    A sturdy padlock and chain can come in handy when you are waiting around with your luggage. Chaining your cases to a secure point will give you peace of mind when your back is turned.

5. Read the guide book
    In order to make the most of your trip, learn as much as you can about your destination before you arrive. Read a guide book, such as the excellent Lonely Planet series, or swot up online. By acquainting yourself with local customs and behaviour, you can avoid putting yourself into a vulnerable position.

6. Keep a close eye on your cards
    When paying for goods or services using a credit or debit card, don't let your plastic out of your sight. Make sure you watch the transaction go through and check the amount carefully before entering your PIN (making sure that no-one can see it). Although you are only liable for the first 50 of fake transactions on your credit or debit card, it still makes sense to minimise the risks of fraud.

7. Be a good Boy Scout
    In other words, be prepared! If things do go wrong and you end up losing your wallet or purse, make sure that you've got some emergency money to fall back on. Tuck some cash, a credit card or some Travellers Cheques into a safe place deep inside your suitcase. This emergency fund will come in handy if things take a turn for the worse.

8. Keep your wits about you
    When abroad, take the same precautions as you would at home, and keep your wits about you. If you wouldn't walk alone at night in the UK, then don't do it in a foreign country. Likewise, check how the locals dress, so you can blend in unnoticed and not stand out like other tourists. Also, find out where the no-go areas and crime hotspots are and avoid them whenever possible.

9. Use the hotel safe
    If you have a safe in your hotel room, then make full use of it. Your valuables will be more secure inside it, so you can relax and enjoy yourself when out and about. Also, your insurance cover for money and valuables may offer higher payouts for items kept in safes.

10. Don't go without insurance
    If something does go wrong, then you must have travel insurance to rely on. Each year, around 500,000 Brits travelling without insurance come a cropper overseas. With over 170 different firms offering travel insurance, there's simply no excuse for going abroad uninsured. By the way, never buy this cover from travel agents and tour operators, as they charge extortionate premiums!
    Finally, if you do need help and assistance beyond that provided by the local police, then contact the British Embassy or Consulate. British officials will do what they can to get you home safe and well.
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

Post by Al Peasland Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:31 pm

Top tips guys.

I know Tony Terranova has spent alot of time travelling with his work. He might also have some good advice here.

Laughing
    jimmyfatwing
    jimmyfatwing

Post by jimmyfatwing Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:37 pm

When I was travelling [halcyon days!] I just found that common sense and a general awareness [without looking like a rabbit caught in headlights] was enough for most situations. Thankfully I never had to go above and beyond that...
    AMC Steve
    AMC Steve

Post by AMC Steve Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:52 pm

I don't really have anything else to add here myself, but, there's a top JKD guy called Rick Faye who when coming to the UK brings a walking stick with him. He doesn't need it, it's just a precautionary measure.
    Maybe we should all take walking sticks with us on our hols? Wink lol

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 5:34 pm