The Self Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Everything Self Defence

3 posters

CSP First Lesson Review

jay2075

CSP First Lesson Review Empty CSP First Lesson Review

Post by jay2075 Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:26 pm

CSP First Lesson Review

Well if you didn't attend this lesson (there's no real excuse, it wasn't as if he hadn't advertised it) then you really did miss out. If you're a genuine Geoff Thompson fan, and have read all the stuff online and in books about his legendary training sessions then his BCA qualified instructors (many of whom were original students) are all based in coventry offering their own unique brand of MMA training. Alan Peasland trained with Geoff from an early age and has certainly soaked up the very best the man had to offer - from technique to self confidence Alan has certainly walked in GT's shadow, and is now stepping out from it and forging his own teaching path.

But I have to admit, this lesson was weird; not because it wasn't great (it was) but because maybe it felt as if you were training with the man himself, such was the passion shown by Mr Peasland. Peppering the lesson with spiritual guidance, tales of the door and stories of when he had to use the techniques he was teaching meant you were never bored, and were always...entertained! Yes, not a word normally used with hard training sessions but we actually had a great time - even the end CV workout was littered with comedy moments and everyone left with a smile on their faces.

Now onto the nitty gritty, the lesson itself - we did a series of stand up drills that encompassed power slaps, punching, an intro to the fence, and then back to punching again from restrictive areas (and here's the amazing thing folks) if you have never seen the double hip used on a punchbag or pad then prepare for a shock - I held a pad for alan as he demonstrated a double hip power slap and he nearly took my damn arm off! Suffice to say the punchbag he performed the technique on was swinging like a twig in the breeze.

The man can punch...hard. We followed this up with an hours worth of groundwork (grappling, legbars, etc) and as a final burst we did 10 mins of hard CV as a..warm down? Hardest warm down I've ever done, I'd hate to be on the end of a full Peasland workout lol.

Anyhow, this doesn't do the lesson (or the man) justice, you just have to come down and see for yourself. And next week we have the added bonus of Mr Mick Tully, back from his jollies and raring to go...

God Help Us!

CSP First Lesson Review Empty Re: CSP First Lesson Review

Post by Guest Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:11 pm

Hey Jay

Sounds like a good time all round,
    I was due to pop in till soemthing cropped up and was out for most of the day. Gutted I missed it. but sounds like a fantastic session.

And knowing Al, was fun, frollics and plenty of hard work.

Craig
    cheers
    jay2075

Post by jay2075 Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:25 pm

it was rocking...I'm not going to make this sunday (have a family engagement I had forgotten about and I can't get out of it) and to stop feelings of guilt I thought I'd post a review. Hope that I can increase my punching power after a few months of this cos Alan's just awesome at the double hip. Come along when you can mate be good to see you
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

Post by Al Peasland Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:17 pm

Hi Jay,

Many thanks for the kind words - a great review - I am very flattered.

As I mentioned in the class, for the first session I was conscious that I wanted to give you all a taster of just some of the things we can cover - from very self defence specific (Fence, 3 second fighting, power punching, etc), to more art based technical stuff, ground fighting, verticle grappling, boxing, etc etc.

So, I apologise if the session was a bit adhoc, but I wanted to try to give everyone a little something that was either new to them or something they could immediately add to their own system.

The future lessions will be more structured and more focused on smaller amounts of techniques, but lots more drilling and practice.

There's loads we can do, lots more fun to be had, and I certainly am looking forward to next weeks class, and those beyond.

No worries about your commitments next week. We all have lives to lead and, to quote my instructor Terry Barnett, it's all about being balanced individuals.

As I said in the class, if we were to spend every waking hour training for a self defence situation that may never happen, and if it did, may only last 3 seconds, that's an awful lot of time to commit. It's all about being balanced, and that not only includes training sometimes simply for fun, fitness and enjoyment, but also making sure the training doesn't take over our lives.
    In my opinion, your training should enhance your life and support everything else you do or want to do - not get in the way of it.

So, once again, great to see you and all those who made it on Sunday.

Thanks for the great review - I may have a job for you as head of my PR Wink

Have a great week Jay and to everyone else who stumbles across this post

Take care

Al

cheers
    jay2075

Post by jay2075 Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:46 pm

Thanks Alan - as for PR, I'm available for a very reasonable rate and I'll even throw in a free podcast Wink

See you in 2 weeks - and anyone else who can make it!
    Mick Tully
    Mick Tully

Post by Mick Tully Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:54 pm

sorry to all but i could not make it...see you on sunday!
    mick x

Post by Guest Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:07 pm

Cheers Jay
    Deffo catch up soon mate.

I am sure with Mick joining in the class will be either highly entertaining. or very sore. however, beneficial and fantastic atmosphere guaranteed.

See you guys Soon
    Craig
    x

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 10:26 pm