The Self Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Everything Self Defence

+2
Al Peasland
adamuk
6 posters

Running technique

adamuk
    adamuk

Running technique Empty Running technique

Post by adamuk Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:18 pm

Hey Guys,

I'm not to sure if there even is different ways to run, but I have heard this being mentioned now and again by a few people.

If you are running on a running machine for 30-40 mins to build up cardio is there a correct way to run?

Does the technique change if your running UP or DOWN hill?

I remember walking along the road with an ex-soldier and a women was jogging down the road on the other side. He mentioned that she was running all wrong for this type of road.

Why is it that some people run...ugly and others look effortless?

I'm interested to hear more about what you should be doing and also trying to avoid when running.

cheers,

Adam.
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

Running technique Empty Re: Running technique

Post by Al Peasland Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:35 pm

Hi Adam,

A great question and one that I'd like to hear some advice on too.

I tend to feel very heavy on my feet - kind of plodding, and it feels as though I could run more effortlessly if I could change the technique somehow.

I do know that it's recommended you always put a small incline on a treadmill as this helps simulate the extra effort required when running outside on roads, with wind resistance and all the undulations.

So, any guys with some info on this - most appreciated.

I have one friend who may have some answers - I'm waiting for him to sign up on here but will email him anyway

Cool
    bobspour
    bobspour

Post by bobspour Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:34 pm

Hey guys there's a really good take on running, which seems to work called (now don't laugh!) Chi Running.

The book is called Chi Running by Danny Dreyer.

I've used it and would recommend it highly.
    Tigger
    Tigger

Post by Tigger Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:19 pm

Hiya

Never heard of Chi Running, but I will be looking into that.

I have spent most of my teenage years and now adult years running, either cross country or athletics. Personally it is a great stress relief as well as a good cardio work out. However it is boring as well! – Lets be honest! :-D. I spent some time talking to a few people about it, as I only used to run to compete, so now running for enjoyment was always a bit odd! I have been shown the whole interval running, where you jog for 5 mins, then sprint for 5 mins, then jog etc etc, this is quite effective. Also changing the gradient of where you run is good.

Personally I watch people running all the time, prob. b/c I was taught to run effectively – well how my instructor viewed was effective!, and it totally depends on what you are trying to do. For me I jog, moving my arms, my head is flexible but forward (as in I am not putting stress on it to keep still), my hands are straight in front of me with my thumbs pushed in my palms (smoother air flow). I jog on the top of my feet, but when I am jogging I take quite long strides, when I am running I take short sharp ones, arms move quicker etc.

For my the whole thing about running, jogging etc is that is relaxed (this is where music can help), it sounds very odd, but if you relax whilst you run you go into a zone, and here you really feel like you can fly and its awesome. To get there you need to allow your body to move how it wants to and not push it or put any stress on neck muscles etc, believe me when you find that then running becomes a total switch off.

Of course your breathing is essential to running, I have been told I breath like a fish! (nice!), but the whole thing is is that I am controlling it, I don’t get out of breath to the point where I think I will die!, the guide to running to listening to your body, listen to your breathing and allow your body to control how and when you push it. My breathing like a fish means I control air coming in and how I exhale the air going out, by not gagging for air allows your body to get enough oxygen to the muscles and ensures a much more effective run and outcome.

Just my 2cs – of course I could just look like an idiot on the running machine :-D
    Steve Rowe
    Steve Rowe

Post by Steve Rowe Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:15 am

Hi Adam

My running improved after studying Tai chi and the Alexander technique. Bits of advice:

Make sure the head is aligned with the spine by 'pulling the crown of the head up as if being pulled upwards by a rope' - this will align the spine and lighten the body.

To start running then tip the head an spine forward until the feet have to move to keep up with the body, this means you have good alignment are using minimum effort, your airway is also not constricted.

Stomach breathe to use the lungs in the best way (and also to learn for fighting it keeps the upper and lower body 'connected') jogging I would use 3 steps in 3 out and ' also for fighting learn to conceal the breath and what you can and can't do before losing control of breathing.

Combine the head, shoulders, chest and waist with the arms for momentum in the same way you do (or should do) when punching.

Hope it helps.
    Joe Hubbard
    Joe Hubbard

Post by Joe Hubbard Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:54 pm

Make sure you get the best shoes you can buy to handle the impact. As far as technique, I have always used and been recommended that heel-to-toe is the most efficient. For the heart, Interval Wind Sprints are the best.

Out

Joe

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:48 am