The Self Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Everything Self Defence

+7
AMC Steve
David Mulliner
Abnett
bobspour
Al Peasland
Les Turpin
Alan Macdonald
11 posters

Running

Alan Macdonald
    Alan Macdonald

Running Empty Running

Post by Alan Macdonald Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:28 pm

Interested to know how many of you guys out there run as part of your conditioning training and what effects you think it has on improving things for you. What type of running too; long distance, sprints or fartlek etc.
    Les Turpin
    Les Turpin

Running Empty Re: Running

Post by Les Turpin Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:02 pm

i used to run 4 times a week for 2 or 3 miles.

now i'm down to 1 or 2 runs a week, mainly because of laziness. i actually hate running but find it a necessary evil.

also used to sprint up a hill and walk down x 10 when i was younger, that was great fun ......not Smile
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

Post by Al Peasland Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:30 pm

Running seems to be the best way for me to keep weight off - but I'm not a fan.
    As Les said, it's a necessary evil.

I would like to say I break up the long runs with interval sprinting, but end up plodding along and dragging my sorry ass to the end of the run.

Usually do a 4 to 5 mile run, and should be doing that 3 times per week but seem to be doing only 1 or 2 lately.

Post by Guest Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:30 am

id be lucky to cover 5 miles these days
    Sprinting im ok with, have been able to cover 100 meters in just under 10 secs a few years ago. had trials for the Godiva harriers and didnt take it, as my knees were already on the way out so didnt want to risk it.

but used to be able to do 5 mile runs sprints, now adays its just the odd treadmill run, but managed a couple of hours in one go on that a couple of years back as a test from an RAF P.T.A which was kinda fun.

just the odd jog for me now

Very Happy
    bobspour
    bobspour

Post by bobspour Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:28 am

why not run in the hills if you have any near at hand...makes it much more bearable and if you map read as you go it takes your mind off the running ... and the pain.

"Pain is simply weakness leaving your body"
    Abnett
    Abnett

Post by Abnett Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:44 pm

bobspour wrote:
    "Pain is simply weakness leaving your body"

I like that quote!

I do running as one of my hobbies is parcour. Takes the boredom aspect and adds a bit more entertainment and boosts the confidence. Also teaches you how to fall (to a point) without injuring yourself (most of the time) on uneven terrains so also beneficial for foot work and co-ordination of limbs.
    Alan Macdonald
    Alan Macdonald

Post by Alan Macdonald Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:49 pm

I've always loved the feel of being out there, just you and the road and your own ego to beat. Its also a great discipline I think, 1. to get out there in the first place esp in winter, 2. instil a must continue attitude, and 3. it really gets the lungs conditioned into control of heavy breathing. As Al said at 45 and well into my middle-age spread years its a necessary evil but Al, I didn't think you were that old! Laughing As Bob says orienteering is a brilliant way of otherwise occupying your mind; we used to do it in the Pyrenees and the scenery was amazing. I love that quote too. We used to have a Sergent who maintained that on a run or forced march, when you felt like you were about to die, you could go another 14 times the distance before you actually would die! Quite how he managed to quantify that conclusion I don't know!?! However regular running at speed I have no doubt develops massive and tenacious lungpower. Wish I could find it!
    David Mulliner

Post by David Mulliner Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:26 pm

I run in two different places, one in the forest so lovely fresh air & the other right by the sea overlooking green & brown sea island, anyone from Poole will know where that is!

I usually start with a 1 mile run (depending how the back feels (old injury)) for a warm up then go straight in to sprints.

At the moment im doing a mix of 50metre & 30metre sprints.

So sprint 80-90% effort for the 50m, fast walk back to the start then 30m sprint all out, walk back & start again on the 50m, then 30m etc etc... Reps depends, just finished doing 5 reps but this was after Lee's workshop yesterday which was a killer session!!!!!! but great, cheers Lee :0)

I used to run more than i do now to be honest but am concentrating on explosive sprints & modelling this with the weights too.

Cheers
    David
    AMC Steve
    AMC Steve

Post by AMC Steve Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:29 am

Running? I think I've heard of that? Wink
    Seriously though, I used to run couple of times a week, but I find it doesn't do my knees much good, so these days I don't bother, although I have considered giving it a go again as the fitness benefits are really good and like Al says it's good at keeping the weight off.
    Now I'm no expert but from what what I have read sprints/fartleks and random pace running are all better for fight fitness than steady state running due to the fact that it replicates your breathing in a fight scenario much closer than that of steady state running.
    Hope this helps

Steve
    jus_gray

Post by jus_gray Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:02 pm

I prefer rowing on the concept2 to running.

On the rower you can still sprint, do your long rows and you dont have to leave the gym.

The bonus is rowing is non impact as running hurts my knees and shins.
    rob howden

Post by rob howden Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:53 am

I run the hills ones a week with a few Friends and on the tread mill once a week
    On the hills it starts out with a steady run up hill for about 1 mile then we do 15 clap press ups then we Cary on running up hill for 1 mile then we do another 15 press ups at the bottom of the steepest part which is about 1/4 of a mile we leave a marker and sprint up to the top and walk back down leaving markers 2/3 of the way up and 1/2 way and a 1/4 then we sprint to each one starting with the 1/2 way and walk back down and so on until we have done all three stages and then we sprint up ones more just for a killer then we start of back down there is a step (ish) bit about 50 meters and we stop and do pad work witch varies we leave a marker at the start point then sprint up and do press ups do the pad work 20 Reps on the pads walk down and do it again 3 reps in-total then the same with / site ups/ Star jumps/ tuck jumps/ finish of with piggy backing each person up once then a steady jog back to the car and home for a hot bath by the way the hill is just short of being a small mounting so i believe Suspect
    On the tread mill i do a steady jog for 15 Min's on the hill setting level 7 speed 9 then when iv finished that i jump on the rower doing 5 Min's at a good pace and resistance level 1 Min's rest then 9 /20 seconds bursts all out with 10 seconds rest in between each 20 seconds i dis like rowing but its a good work out with the running have a go and give me feed back Very Happy
    Tim Coppin
    Tim Coppin

Post by Tim Coppin Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:19 am

Running Evil or Very Mad

Not a massive fan to say the least! I try to do two, 3 mile runs a week. I go straight from the gym, its a good way to loose that latic acid and you are already warmed up from training on the weights.

Its a lot easier to go with someone, breaks the boredom up.

Kind Regards

Tim
    Davey
    Davey

Post by Davey Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:18 pm

Now this is something I cant do, after about 5mins I'm exhausted and chest starts burn and develope a cough ! Sad funny thing is, I can do 10mins on a tread mill but pavement I get shin splints.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:11 pm