The Self Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Everything Self Defence

+4
kaarl
Dave Turton
marko
Alban Balliu
8 posters

suplements

Alban Balliu
    Alban Balliu

suplements Empty suplements

Post by Alban Balliu Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:39 pm

Hey guys,

What are your thoughts on Goji berries and Royal Jelly?
    It is claimed that they help the body against the cold and flu and help increase energy levels.

Any truth on these claims? Anybody tried them? if so any results?
    Thanks Alban
    marko

suplements Empty Re: suplements

Post by marko Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:10 pm

Personally speaking I would get all my basic nutrition needs met before shelling out for these 'superfoods'. ie fruit veg, salads, essential fats, good quality proteins and unrefined carbs etc etc.

One can spend an awful amount of money on these supplements when they don't really have any scientific data on them, although I'm sure there is some truth in it all. I think it can be a bit hit & miss with quality of the products too.

One inexpensive way to get some great nutrients in to your diet is to eat plenty of sprouted seeds like alfalfa or brocolli sprouts. You can grow your own in a few days and a packet of seeds will give you a lot of sprouts.

You can buy them sprouted pretty cheaply too if you can't be ars@d to grow them or are worried about being labelled a hippy. Laughing They can be added to salads and soups sandwhiches etc and are a definite powerful health booster.... don't take my word for it, do some research.

regards
    Mark
    Alban Balliu
    Alban Balliu

Post by Alban Balliu Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:25 pm

Yes mate i know but when you train everyday or sometimes twice a day and having a job to do it is almost impossible to get everything you need in your body.
    I don't really rely on supplements but the protein shake and glutamine does help a lot and i know it makes a difference because if you don't train hard enough then you won't need it but if you do train hard then you will do, otherwise you will spend the next 2 or 3 days in pain and you don't recover.
    Cheers Alban
    Dave Turton

Post by Dave Turton Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:57 am

I have a couple of Night school diplomas in nutrition, but dont claim to be an expert..

however the key is in the word SUPPLEMENT, thats what they do supplement your normal diet as and when certain extra stresses are or have been put on your body and mind..

in times when circumstances mean later nights, no 'fresh' meals (Big Macs and that kind of crap), you supplement (i.e. add extra) of certain nutrients to replace or increase and deficiences.

Extra this that and the other will NOT prevent colds, but can reduce their effects.. However you have to really start taking them BEFORE a cold has caught you

the health food/supplement business is huge and they obviously have to promote their products.

Some 'foods' are nutrient robbers, i.e they use up certain vits/mins in order to be processed, so if your diet is garbage, your nutrient intake is reduced.

Eat your food as near as possible to how nature makes it .. i.e. apples rather than apple pies and so on.. chicken breasts as opposed to.. processed chicken nibbles, or turkey bloody twizzlers and so on, and you wont be far wrong.

if you feel the need for certain extras, be sure what you are ingesting is worth the extra cash

some are good, one or two excellent , most a waste of money...
    Alban Balliu
    Alban Balliu

Post by Alban Balliu Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:32 pm

Nice one Dave.
    Thanks for that.
    Alban
    kaarl
    kaarl

Post by kaarl Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:10 pm

Alban Balliu wrote:Yes mate i know but when you train everyday or sometimes twice a day and having a job to do it is almost impossible to get everything you need in your body.
    I don't really rely on supplements but the protein shake and glutamine does help a lot and i know it makes a difference because if you don't train hard enough then you won't need it but if you do train hard then you will do, otherwise you will spend the next 2 or 3 days in pain and you don't recover.
    Cheers Alban

hi alban

all the best for the new year

i was wondering when do you find the best time to take protein/glutamine,before or after work out or morning and night?

thanks
    karl
    Steve Tomkins
    Steve Tomkins

Post by Steve Tomkins Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:13 pm

Hi Alban

I'm no expert but I have had trouble with my immune system in the past due to certain medications I have had to take - so I have looked into it.

Most normal/healthy peoples' immune sytems are good enough to fight and or stop most infections - if you get a cold or flu you are mostly just unlucky as there are millions of viruses out there.

If your immune sytem white blood cell count goes dangerously low it's called neutropenia - healthy people don't ever get to this level.

However, a daily vitamin/mineral pill, glucosamine and EPA fish oil have all been shown scientifically to have various health benefits & get enough rest. Overtraining has also been shown to increase the likliehood of viral infection in athletes.

The best way is to search for proper authoratative scientific studies, which can often be found on the internet.

Speak soon mate
    Steve
    Alban Balliu
    Alban Balliu

Post by Alban Balliu Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:42 am

Karl,
    thanks mate, wish you the best for the new year too.
    I find best taking these two supplements right after training and also another shot of glutamine before i go to bed to help recovery when sleeping.
    For me the most important meal of the day is the one after training, so what i do is drink some fruit juice for simple sugars, then i take the protein shake and glutamine and about 20 mins later i eat a meal or a mixture of different dried fruits and mixed nuts a handful of each.
    I know some people may say this is not good or not the right way but it works for me.
    Remember the golden hour after training, thats the best time to feed your body.

Steve
    that's interesting mate in terms of science as i don't really know a lot when it comes to that but what i find is that my central nervous system gets shattered when i train a lot. Especially when you do a lot of power training like olympic lifts and Atp drills. I know rest is very important but most of the time i get this mental drive and i just want to train everyday and when i hit the gym i realize that even though my muscular system is recovered is the CNS that is still shattered and i read somewhere that it can take from 9 to 12 days to fully recover from a really hard power lifting workout and if i keep trying thats when overtraining kicks in and the immune system suffers. Thats why if you want to really train hard and often you need the stuff to help you recover.
    Hope it all makes sense.
    Steve Tomkins
    Steve Tomkins

Post by Steve Tomkins Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:59 pm

Alban - if it works for you, and it clearly does!, then keep doing it mate Very Happy
    kaarl
    kaarl

Post by kaarl Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:09 pm

thanks alban
    Joe Hubbard
    Joe Hubbard

Post by Joe Hubbard Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:42 am

There are 3-reasons why you would want to take supplements:

1) To build muscle, burn fat and improve health by making up for nutritional deficiencies in diet.

2) To provide nutrients that are under supplied in the body’s cells or not normally available in optimum levels in the diet.

3)Providing nutrients that your body doesn’t necessarily require, but enhances performance and recovery by producing a pharmaceutical or “drug like” effect in the body.

The bottom-line basics are to be taken every day for the rest of your life fall into the first category: multi vitamin & mineral blend, strong anti-oxidents and essential fatty acid blend. Everything else is just icing on the cake.

Joe
    hknick

Post by hknick Tue May 11, 2010 12:02 am

Try taking 5 goji berries a day.
    CameronQ

Post by CameronQ Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:44 pm

I like Dave T's comments: "Some 'foods' are nutrient robbers, i.e they use up certain vits/mins in order to be processed, so if your diet is garbage, your nutrient intake is reduced."
    Let me also add that MOST multi vit/min supplements are also robbers in that the way the minerals are supplied creates a tremendous amount of free radicals, which means the antioxidant vitamins within the same supplement (Vit A, C, E) are spent fighting their own mineral-generated anti-oxidants. This is the main reason why MOST vit/min supplements are not really worth the money they cost. Most, but not all.

"Eat your food as near as possible to how nature makes it .. i.e. apples rather than apple pies and so on.. chicken breasts as opposed to.. processed chicken nibbles, or turkey bloody twizzlers and so on, and you wont be far wrong."
    Yes. Nice. The less processes away from the way nature provides, the better. You'll know they've got too far away when they say things like "fortified with vitamins and minerals'. That always means the processing has destroyed the natural-occurring nutrients so to make the food a nutritional step up from cardboard they add back in artificial nutrients. Dumb, but the scales of economy make it viable for profit generation.

"some are good, one or two excellent , most a waste of money..." Exactly. Possibly which one or two are excellent may be subjective without scientific proof.

Alban, I am wondering why you wait about 20 mins to eat your follow-up meal? Why not eat more immediately? As you say, if it works for you that is the most important thing, yet have you tried to follow up sooner?

Joe said, "The bottom-line basics are to be taken every day for the rest of your life fall into the first category: multi vitamin & mineral blend, strong anti-oxidents and essential fatty acid blend. Everything else is just icing on the cake."
    Nice. I agree and think a lot of people underestimate the importance of daily supplementation because they feel they get sufficient nutrition through the diet. but if you are training optimally then how can you know if you are getting enough, especially when the food we buy (usually) is very denatured. It has been shown that we need about four times the volume of fresh produce to obtain the same level of minerals/vitamins as our grandparents.

The catch is, of course, getting supplements that really do what they say and as has been said, most of them available do not meet up to their claims.

Cheers
    CFQ

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:59 pm