The Self Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Everything Self Defence

4 posters

Pre-Emptive Strikes

Mitch

Pre-Emptive Strikes Empty Pre-Emptive Strikes

Post by Mitch Fri May 08, 2009 12:10 pm

Morning all Smile

I was watching some video on another site of doormen controlling distance very nicely using a fence, such that even though the aggressive punters got a punch in it was at such a range as to be inefective and in fact just served to bring them forward right into the doorman's range, with predictable results Very Happy

Now, I know that doormen may need to do this fom a legal point of view whereas in Law we can strike first if we genuinely feel in danger, but I wanted to ask your experiences of this in training.

My (admittedly limited) scenario based training seemed to show that unless I was willing to potentially grossly overreact to a situation, I was very unlikely to get the option of a pre-emptive strike. It may be appropriate in a few situations, but more often the other party would move to violence at poit where I was still not ready to do so. I don't think that's me being a push over, I think it's me being a reasonable human being.

So, what have the experiences of others here been? Do you train for pre-emptive strikes? How often do you feel them justified in your scenario based training? Or is the fence and a reactive strike a more realistic methodology?

Cheers all,
    Mitch
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

Pre-Emptive Strikes Empty Re: Pre-Emptive Strikes

Post by Al Peasland Fri May 08, 2009 1:44 pm

Hi Mitch

I'll answer in more detail later, but very quickly, what we need to understand is the Fence is not a block.
    All too often I see people using the Fence as a static, holding arms out, position, which just looks totally un-natural and does not serve the purpose it is intended.

The Fence should be subtle, like a passive sensor.
    If I have to put my arms up to control someone and they get within range then they have made all the decisions for me. I then act straight away.

However, not every action has to be a pre-emptive strike and to go for a single shot everytime someone gets a little irate and in your range is a bit of over-kill.

If you're switched on then you can see the tell tale signs that someone is about to go for it. Being first is crucial, but not necessarily always about being first with a punch.

Sometimes you can b pre-emptive simply by shoving them away, spinning them for a choke, or even being pre-emptive with some carefully chosen words.

As you said, doormen need to be extra specially careful because they are under greater scrutiny and are probably being filmed whilst they're working too.
    You can't hit every annoyed customer, that goes without saying, but the law is the law and so it applied the same to a doorman as it does someone walking in the park.
    If the person in front is aggressive and you feel threatened you're entitled to act - but you must act accordingly.
    That means yo ucan't hit everyone in the park who comes up to you and touches your Fence as well

Being pre-emptive is vital, but pre-emptively striking isn't the only way you can be pre-emptive.

Waiting to be attacked on the other hand is not recommended in my opinion!

Probably not made my point very clear here - but I'm in a rush so will come back and answer better later mate

Take care

Al
    Very Happy
    cobra kai

Post by cobra kai Fri May 08, 2009 2:44 pm

the thing is as i see it, is if your in a position were you are thinking of using a pre emptive strike you are probably being actively threatend either with harm or even your life, if someone you dont know tells you that there going to smash your face in or whatever imo you have to take it seriously, you should do every thing possible to aviod the situation back away if you can and if he continues to follow you thats provication and try to talk your way out of it. if you have done both those things and he want calm down of leave you along theres only 1 option and thats to fight.
    esther
    esther

Post by esther Fri May 08, 2009 7:41 pm

Hi, Im currently reading a book written by Al Peasland called the fence concept, which also has a dvd of the same title. I urge you to read this book, as it explains in a very clear and understanding way, of the fence and how to use it.Even if you are a beginner like me.You can buy it from Al Peaslands website, at a very reasonable price.Happy reading. study

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 7:34 am