The Self Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Everything Self Defence

3 posters

We don't have time to teach basics!!!

Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

We don't have time to teach basics!!! Empty We don't have time to teach basics!!!

Post by Al Peasland Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:02 pm

Michael W Wright
    Michael W Wright

We don't have time to teach basics!!! Empty Re: We don't have time to teach basics!!!

Post by Michael W Wright Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:25 am

Doesn't look good on the face of it, does it Al. There may be something lost in language translation, but from what I saw from the demos I would be wary of the material.

A subject close to my heart. My three key rules when teaching the Police:

1. Understand the need. A lot of martial artists walk in and teach a bunch of locks and restraints, and wonder why they never get asked back. If the self-protection training taught at the Police College was good enough, then they wouldn’t need to bring in outside instructors. Understand that the current curriculum does not answer the modern threat an Officer faces, and that’s why you are there. Build relationships and dialogue with the Staff Protection Instructors before you go in, ask to go and watch a Student Officer training session, get a feel for what they have and what they really need – then fill that need.

2. Get to the Physical. Members of the public can avoid, evade and escape – Police Officers have to stop the threat. They don’t want to hear a few hours of theory, you are there in your capacity as someone who can offer a physical solution, so don’t waste their time. As an Instructor to two Police Forces I only get 10 hours per year to teach them, so from the minute I walk in to the minute I walk out, it’s physical. They get all of the confrontation management and de-escalation training they need at Hendon (or wherever). You have been brought in to teach the physical, so get to it.

3. Everything has to work against resistance. In a normal class, drills and routines against a compliant training partner will satisfy the average person. The Police however will immediately pressure test everything you say. Any Officer who has had to confront, restrain or arrest a person will know that most of martial arts is bullshit against a fully resisting opponent. Therefore, everything you teach has to work against a non-compliant training partner, because this is the default way the Police train. So whatever you walk in with, you need to know that if any guy in the room (and there are some big guys) challenges you on it (and they will), then its going to work when he's trying as hard as he can to make it not work. The same is true with the Military, its a great litmus test for your art.
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

We don't have time to teach basics!!! Empty Re: We don't have time to teach basics!!!

Post by Al Peasland Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:08 pm

Nice reply Michael

Are you picking up more Police work now?
    Michael W Wright
    Michael W Wright

Post by Michael W Wright Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:22 am

Tomorrow mate. Student Officers in the morning, Staff Protection Instructors in the afternoon.
    Griffin
    Griffin

Post by Griffin Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:54 pm

Worrying artical, but I do wonder, like a previous poster, if something has been lost in translation...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:16 am