The Self Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Everything Self Defence

2 posters

Training Method

Abnett
    Abnett

Training Method Empty Training Method

Post by Abnett Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:49 am

If this is in the wrong section please feel free to move it mods.

Right, currently i train in JKD with my instructor once a week. I've got a constant training partner but there is a bit of concern i have with this guys training mentality. My concern grows as sometimes i have to work with this guy. When training on the pads for example, everyone else in the group puts the effort in on hitting the pads with reasonable power, whereas the guy i train with might aswell be tickling the pads with a feather to have more effect.
    My question is, would this be deemed as good practice from the point of view he only seems to train accuracy, no power development or speed. I often feel i'm not gaining any benefits in training with this guy as he can't hold a set of pads to save his life either and i don't feel i'm getting any "feel" for resistance. This guys trained longer than me yet i feel i'd get better results with someone else.

What's everyone's opinion? How have you dealt with lazy training partners in the past? Thanks
    D.Hughes
    D.Hughes
    Admin

Training Method Empty Re: Training Method

Post by D.Hughes Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:59 am

tough one to answer really mate. id say have a word with carl and get something sorted, if you dont feel your geting any benefit, theres no point training.
    personally, i dont even try to hit the pads hard. i try to smash the feeders hand right through it. works a treat for me.
    come on down anytime after 1 today and ill show ya Wink
    Abnett
    Abnett

Post by Abnett Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:13 pm

I can come down for an hour if you're up for it. I've gotta get the kid at 3 but it's only 20mins down the road. Have you sent the directions? I've not got my gps at the moment either. I've spoke to carls before and got rotated a bit but at the moment it's usually just me and this guy turning up for the lesson. scratch

I'll bring some of my gear round.
    D.Hughes
    D.Hughes
    Admin

Post by D.Hughes Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:19 pm

yer im up for it mate. come down at like 1. i emailed you the address and postcode, ill send them via PM on here now just in case.

just go to google maps, go to directions, type in your postcde, and then my postcode, and it will give yuo directions right to my door.

failing that, you hve my number, just gimme a call anytime and ill give you directions verbally.

see ya in a few hours Very Happy

Post by Guest Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:32 pm

Hi Ben

Holding the pads is an artform in itself. and as you have said you feel " no resistance " when striking them. so maybe just showing him the correct way to hold the pads to start for when you strike. Encouragement is key. even if the person you train with has been training longer than you, you MUST give them feedback if something is not working for you and correct them on the way you want it to be done.

Pad holding is a fundemental and basic practice which needs to be done right in order for you to get the results you desire. you do not want the pad holders arm flying away from you each time you land a hard strike.

If he is " tickling " the pads as you say. there can be a number of reasons. muscle memory, developing accuracy, gauging distance, and many more. hold the pads correctly for him, maybe ask him why he is striking the way he is and what he is looking to gain from it. then show him how you want the pads to be held for you.

remember, we all train for different reasons and not all of us want to break the wrists and hands of the person holding the pad. ( personally i throw it like every shot is the only one I get ). but each to their own. so maybe have a word, tell him what you want and take it from there.

Remember its teamwork to get good drills going, not all one sided. so communicate.

Craig
    Very Happy
    Abnett
    Abnett

Post by Abnett Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:55 pm

Thanks Craig, i'm pretty good with the pads so the guy should be able to welly them but always holds back. My feeling is that if he's put into a situation where it's needed he stands higher risk of freezing up of just tickling the oponent!! haha! The guy is useless at holding the pads, i.e. he's way to slow and his memory isn't great so trying to do an agreed routine can be awkward most of the time. I generally try to give the person i'm training with feedback.

Post by Guest Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:13 pm

I know it can be frustrating mate,
    but try and build a rapport with him, make the drills easy to start with
    Cross, Hook, Cross
    Cross Hook Uppercut etc and build from there. I think once you have a rappotr giong it makes it easier. he may have been training longer but there may be something which is making him hold back. I have a friend I train with and he does not like unloading on the pads either it just takes practice to be able to get your partner to be able to do this. some people naturally hold back its a common problem.

How long have you been training with him?
    just remember to get him or applies to yourself also, dont just brace yourself holding the pads, meet his punch with the pads also so move the pads into the punch and match your timing with his, that way its also a workout for the pad holder and not just the guy striking.

Smile
    Abnett
    Abnett

Post by Abnett Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:27 pm

I've always worked the pads in that manner, it seems a bit easier to handle the pads and more natural i guess for me. I've trained with this guy for near enough 3 years now. We've discussed this issue many many times yet he is still reluctant to let loose. I prefer to train with the thought i've just finished the doors and i'm walking back to my car and i get jumped. Reason being i'm not the biggest of doorlads out there and many people make my size (or lack of it) an issue. This doesn't bother me as i know i can handle myself. My opinion though is that if i don't train with the above scenario in mind, then i'm likely to freeze up myself. My dad used to box in the navy so i've learned some drills off of him. My dad weighs 19 stone whereas i'm just teatering over the 11 mark, yet the power i can deliver shocks my dad. I think keeping it real is the best way i learn, but can't help thinking my training partner is cutting himself short (and me due to lack of pad control on his part) by simply tickling the pads. etc. I agree it's extremely frustrating, hence why i'm looking for new partners. Hopefully me and rick can get some decent training done! Well looking forward to that

Post by Guest Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:56 pm

If your in a class doing this, depending on the number of students, alternate partners, as everyone does something different to everyone else. Hopefully your training partner will work his mind set out.

I know what you mean about the size issue, I weigh about 9 and a half stone. but my training partner weighs 18 and a half. so I know that if I can make something work on him, guys my own size should be a lot easier to handle. 20% power strikes to my friend and he hates it and does not want to go any higher. but it has to be realistic. as if its the only shot you are going to get and has to do the job in hand.

Exclamation

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:36 am