The Self Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Everything Self Defence

+3
AMC Steve
Alban Balliu
Dave Turton
7 posters

Diet

Diet Empty Diet

Post by Guest Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:56 pm

Does anyone follow a strict type of diet while training?
    or just in general which seems to work with prolonged training periods

or has helped with weight loss or just led to a better lifestyle? any experiences good or bad you would like to share, let us know

Craig
    Dave Turton

Diet Empty Re: Diet

Post by Dave Turton Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:07 am

I think that the word 'diet' is much over used, especially some of the stupid ones in womens mags (not that I but them of course).

keep it natural, simple and light.. thats enough.. eat your food as near as possible to how nature makes it .. i.e. apples not apple pies and so on..I am type 2 diabetic and find that as long as I do that and try and keep away from the WHITE DEATH foods, life isnt that bad.. these are.. White Flour, White Fat, and White sugar
    Alban Balliu
    Alban Balliu

Post by Alban Balliu Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:34 am

I always like the way you think Dave Very Happy
    AMC Steve
    AMC Steve

Post by AMC Steve Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:11 am

Does Ben & Jerry's and biscuits count as real food? Wink
    I do try and eat healthy, but I am a swine for sugar products.
    One nutrition book that I read which I think is really good is 'the grapplers guide to good nutrition'. If you haven't found an eating regime that works for you then this might be worth a look because it is more a set of guidelines and principles as opposed to a strict 'diet' (rubbish word) and has been put together by guys who train grapplers, wrestlers and athletes so know what they're talking about.
    On another note, I reckon Dave has got it sorted with eating natural and avoiding white foods (This is why I bake muffins with wholemeal flour Wink ).
    Millerb

Post by Millerb Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:11 pm

Eat fairly healthily myself. I am not a purist, but I train hard even when I can't get to classes (sorry matty if your reading this I have been away for an eternity. Back on Thus)

Nutrition for me is eating plenty of fruit and I love green veg.
    On top of this lean meat. I cook loads for my kids so we don't tend to eat takeaway. It's a rare treat.

My downfalls though are too much salt in my diet which isn't great.
    I don't see the harm in enjoying a little of what you fancy from time to time.
    As for training and nutrition, light carb meal about 2 hours before. Some protein after grilled chicken, tuna, salad etc.
    Regular eating helps to keep energy up throughout the day.

Post by Guest Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:00 pm

Hi Brady

Thanks for the input, sounds the same in my household to be honest.
    take away is a treat but we all eat mostly healthily. plenty of veg and fruit. and a balanced meal.

Thanks for the input.

Craig
    Very Happy
    Alan Macdonald
    Alan Macdonald

Post by Alan Macdonald Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:39 pm

My wife's a nutritionist and she always said that a balance of everything is the way to go. So if I have a kilo of meat one night, I'll shovel in a kilo of fish the next! Laughing

Post by Guest Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:58 pm

Get cooking Alan mate,
    sounds good to me..... ill force it down....

Rolling Eyes
    AFinlayson

Post by AFinlayson Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:03 am

i have a ridiculously fast metabolism. so i tend to have a fairly healthy diet but then thrown in some meal replacement shakes in between meals..and add a little 100% peanut butter. have been doing that for the past month an put on just under a stone. only another stone to go! if i want to lose weight. ie. if i'm being vain and heading for a beach summer, i simply cut out carbs after 4:30pm and the fat drops off.
    Tim Coppin
    Tim Coppin

Post by Tim Coppin Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:38 pm

I think Alan Mac hit the nail on the head, 'a good balance' plenty of fruit and veg (rubbish~) and the main thing if you are wanting to put on mass lots of protein. I used to have half a shake before training and finish it off after worked well for me. Also eat often, 5 or 6 meals a day is better than a massive meal as it keeps your metabolism working.

Diet is a key factor, you get out what you put in.

Tim

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:45 pm